Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 01 2008
By: shaikhmd First Son 4 posts

How do I play VOB files on my PS3

14 replies 16393 views Edited Dec 1, 2008
ive got a bunch of VOB files on an external hard drive and i would like to watch them via the PS3....what is the most SIMPLEST way?? i am by no means great with computers...so the simplest and easiest explanation would be most appreciated...thanks!
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 15 (16,393 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5717 posts

Re: How do I play VOB files on my PS3

Dec 2, 2008
Google superC or handbrake to convert, they have PS3 specific options (easiest I know)
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 15 (16,393 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Dec 2, 2008
no need to convert. just play them from hard drive. i have over 200GB of .vob files on an external iomega hard drive and play some of my back ups frequently. the ps3 will play them as is. if you dont see them just hit triangle and hit display all. i always rename my vob files in sequenc like kungfupanda 1.vob and kungfupanda 2.vob and so on. you can set the ps3 to play them in sequence so you dont have to play each file. that gets annoying. reencoding just takes up time. it makes the files alot smaller but storage is cheap nowa days. i never re encode. just drop and play. the ps3 rocks.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 15 (16,393 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5717 posts

Dec 2, 2008
I learned something new.......thanks.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 15 (16,393 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Dec 15, 2008
thanks for the response....i have my VOB files on a Freeagent external hard drive...i tried your suggestion where i simply hooked up my external drive via a USB port to my PS3...the problem is i don think the PS3 is recognizing my external hard drive??? i have a wireless connection to my PC and the PS3 does recognize my computer and i can browse through my pictures, mp3s from my computer....i  have some MPEG on ym computer which i can ply via th wireless connection though my PS3 on my big TV...id rather not copy all my VOB files to my computer if i dont have to...should the PS3 recognize the external hard drive just from plugging it into one of the USB ports in the front or am i doing something wrong?? thanks....
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 15 (16,393 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
950 posts

Dec 15, 2008

Is your external hard drive formatted as FAT32? If its NTFS which is common when you use XP/Vista, then you need to convert it to FAT32 or reformat it. You can use utilities like Swiss knife and a few others.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 15 (16,393 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Dec 15, 2008
so, i just tried to see if i could play a VOB file that is on my computer via the wireless connection on my ps3 (which works for mpegs), and it doesnt show the vob file on the drop down menu...i go to the video icon --> ALL VIDEOS and it doesnt show it...its in  the same "shared" folder that all my other mpegs are but it doesnt show the VOB file (of which plays fine on the actual PC)...this is frustrating...i know the PS3 has amazing function and abilities, but i my ignorance on how to tap into it all is pissing me off...someone HELP!
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 15 (16,393 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Dec 15, 2008
how do i find out if its FAT32 or NFTS? and if i reformat the drive, im assuming its the entire drive and i lose everything thats on it...that i cannot do...if it is, in fact, NFTS, then is the only option playing directly from the external hard drive reformatting it to FAT32?
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 15 (16,393 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
950 posts

Dec 15, 2008

I'm not sure if streaming VOBs will work using a media server like TVersity, WMP, etc. You'll have to get some input from others on that. It will save you time and headaches without having to format the drive. The only thing is it would have to be connected to your PC. As for checking if the drive is NTFS -- hook the drive to your PC, right click on the new drive and check the properties.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 15 (16,393 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
256 posts

Dec 17, 2008
VOBS stream perfectly well useing Tversity
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 15 (16,393 Views)
0 Likes