Hekseville Citizen
388 posts

Re: How do I install java on my ps3?

Jan 21, 2009

Kaivarri wrote:

update the firmware on your PS3, the latest version of Java should now be supported.

Firmware 2.60 has Sun Java support? Didn't know that... thought it could only run JavaScript.

Anyway, if you want to try Ubuntu, download and install following this site: www.psubuntu.com
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 21 (2,250 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3232 posts

Jan 21, 2009
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 21 (2,250 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3232 posts

Jan 21, 2009

vitorshigutso wrote:

Kaivarri wrote:

update the firmware on your PS3, the latest version of Java should now be supported.

Firmware 2.60 has Sun Java support? Didn't know that... thought it could only run JavaScript.

Anyway, if you want to try Ubuntu, download and install following this site: www.psubuntu.com

Sun Java = JavaScript. Java is owned by Sun. In computer terms anything "Java" is referring to the product owned by Sun, or designed to run in a Java runtime environment (AKA Sun Java application). The updated java support came with one of the previous firmware updated.
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 21 (2,250 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
388 posts

Jan 21, 2009

Kaivarri wrote:
Ubuntu should not be needed.

Are you sure that PS3 Browser can run Java? Java is different from JavaScript... and RuneScape needs FULL Java support (it needs also 3D support).
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 21 (2,250 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
388 posts

Jan 21, 2009
no no no... JavaScript != Java
Message Edited by vitorshigutso on 01-21-2009 08:20 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 21 (2,250 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3232 posts

Jan 21, 2009

vitorshigutso wrote:

Kaivarri wrote:
Ubuntu should not be needed.

Are you sure that PS3 Browser can run Java? Java is different from JavaScript... and RuneScape needs FULL Java support (it needs also 3D support).

I could have sworn the PS3's browser supported full Java. But, you may be right, it may just be full JavaScript support, and not actually a full runtime environment... Honestly, at this point, I don't even know where to look for that information, and I'm tired...
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 21 (2,250 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1439 posts

Jan 21, 2009

vitorshigutso wrote:
no no no... JavaScript != Java
Message Edited by vitorshigutso on 01-21-2009 08:20 AM

Yup, Javascript is not Java. The PS3 can run Java (Blu-ray interaction), but not through the PS3 Browser. Best bet is to install Ubuntu, Yellow Dog Linux, or a PPC(Power PC) type of Linux.

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 21 (2,250 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
388 posts

Jan 21, 2009
Well, but RuneScape will need 3D support, even if it's a simple 3D... and Linux for PS3 doesn't have 3D drivers yet... so I don't know if RuneScape on Linux for PS3 will run.
Only testing!
Message Edited by vitorshigutso on 01-21-2009 08:39 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 21 (2,250 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6908 posts

Jan 21, 2009

Yellow Dog linux is an OS made especially for the Cell processor, which means it will run the most efficient. And is quite user friendly.

http://us.fixstars.com/support/downloads/

Find the mirror correct for you (If in USA choose USA, if in UK, choose UK)

You will need to burn the ISO to a DVD, (note I said DVD), it will not FIT on a CD (3.7+ gb) Any burning program (Nero etc) will do.

If you are using Windows 7, just double click on the ISO image you just downloaded and it should burn.

A GOOD free Iso program is "ISO recorder" And it works on Windows Vista.

MAKE SURE, YOU BURN, THE ISO ON THE SLOWEST SPEED!

Why? Because when it comes to burning an operating system, if you go fast it may mess up, and that one mess up, can ***** you over either in the short term (wasted DVD, corrupted installation) or in the long term (some programs and features not working properly).

Once its burned, Its time to put it in the ps3 and like magic it will just work. NOT!

If you have saved Data on your ps3 that you would like to keep, you must, I mean MUST back it up. Whether you back it up on your PSP, or your IPod, or some USB drive it wont matter. Just move it to a different source.

Now use another USB drive, or put your files on PC, then delete the ones on the USB. Because you will need a boot loader, so you can still use your ps3, and switch to linux, and vise versa

You will need to download THESE files:
us.fixstars.(0m/support/installation/ps3/

Those files are .bld and .self, both of which can't possibly be executed on a windows system, and thus cannot infect your computer. Those files can only be read by the PS3.

Put the 2 files in a folder called PS3, and put it in your USB drive. Remember all CAPS PS3, Do NOT rename or modify those files!!!

Once that is done you should now have a USB drive with the bootloader files, a back up of your data (on PC or other drive), and a DVD with yellow dog linux

1. DVD with yellow dog linux
2. Back up of your data
3. USB drive with bootloader put in a PS3 folder on the drive it self.

Plug in your USB keyboard and mouse, and turn on your PS3.

On the XMB use your keyboard or controller to go to

"Settings" -> "System Settings" -> "Format Utility" -> "Format Harddirve" -> "Yes" -> "Yes"

Now set the partitions to custom and allow 10 GB to LINUX

remember 10 GB FOR LINUX, DO NOT SET 10 GB FOR PS3!!!

Now LET IT FORMAT, Do not do this during a storm when the power can go out! Do not interrupt it, Do not rush it. It wont take long.

When its done press exit, which will reboot your ps3.

Time for the REAL installation 

After all this preparation(30 minutes, not including the huge download) its time to install it.

Plug the USB drive in.

Go to "Settings" -> "System Settings" -> "Install OtherOS" it will ask you to confirm "/ps3/otheros/otheros.self" say YES

When you say yes, your screen will go blank, do not be alarmed.

Soon you will see "Other OS Installer Version (Version number here)" Start it, then youll see controller check, then the License agreement, say yes.

Soon it will complete the install, when its completed go back.
Go to "Settings" -> "System Settings" -> OtherOS

Turn off your ps3.

Turn your ps3 back on, and insert your Yellow Dog Linux DVD

Make sure your keyboard and mouse are hooked up.

You will notice it will say "Kboot" Wait 10 seconds, and the auto installation will begin.

During the partitioning phase it will say "The partition table on this device sda was unreadable..." It will always say this, so proceed anyway. "Press yes" and Select "Automatic partition"

You will see 3 partitioning options, choose "Keep all partitions and use existing free space"

Next it will ask for your password, it HAS to contain letters and atleast 1 number.

Next will be a dependency test, again wait a few minutes and choose next.

Next is a package selector, choose what you want, I chose everything.

Now it will take ~1 hour to install, get a drink or something.

When the installation is over simply press restart.

after 30 seconds or so you will see a familiar friend, kboot.

When your on kboot type "ydl" and press enter

On your first time it will do a bunch of tests to ensure you didnt mess up, etc.
---------------------------------------------
Logging in:
User: root
password: what you set it to during installation

Press Enter

Now type in rpm -ivh Xautoconfig-0.23-2.ydl.2.ppc.rpm

Press enter

Type in Xautoconfig

Press enter

Now you have yellow dog linux running. Enjoy! 

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 21 (2,250 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1716 posts

Jan 21, 2009
The browser only has limited JAVA. I often get javascript errors. I have no idea why SONY don't update the JAVA on the browser...it's d@mn annoying in 2009 to have so many browser issues.
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." -- Oscar Wilde
Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 21 (2,250 Views)
0 Likes