Do you mean 
Monster Hunter
40 posts

Re: HOW TO: Media Sharing between PS3 and WMP11 (Windows Media Player 11) PC

Dec 31, 2007

defaria wrote:
Questions:

1) How do I get WMP11 to see the PS3?
2) How do I get the PS3 to list Windows Media Sharing to work?

Is your PS3 in a DMZ on your router?  I had to do that for my XP laptop to see the PS3
Message 21 of 184 (566 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
813 posts

Dec 31, 2007

defaria wrote:
I'm not able to get WMP11 and the PS3 to communicate together. I think my problem is that I don't see anything listed box below the "Share my media to" checkbox in the Media Sharing dialog box in WMP11. I believe I have proper services running (HTTPS SSL, SSDP Discovery Service, Universal Plug and Play Device Host and Windows Media Player Network Service). Still nothing shows up under Share my media to and nothing gets listed on the PS3 after scanning for a media server.

I know that UPNP and media sharing works as I can see things from Azureus' media sharing service. Also, I've installed ushare on my Linux box (where all my media really resides) and I have managed to view photos and some videos (Apparently the PS3 only supports MPEGs ! ). I cannot play any audio files!!! Most of my audio files are MP3 though I do have a few WMA. All are listed as Unsupported Data (through ushare - again Windows Media Server still doesn't work).

Questions:

3) If Windows Media Sharing were working then could I stream my MP3 files?
4) Why doesn't MP3 files stream through ushare?

There are other solutions if you do a search.  There are some in the link in my sig.... 
Message 22 of 184 (566 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 1, 2008
Question: Can you get the PS3 to send music and videos to PC's?  If so, how do you do that?  My PS3 sees my computer as well as the files on it, however I can't get my computer to see the files on the PS3.
Message 23 of 184 (566 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
813 posts

Jan 1, 2008

BlueBaron121 wrote:
Question: Can you get the PS3 to send music and videos to PC's?  If so, how do you do that?  My PS3 sees my computer as well as the files on it, however I can't get my computer to see the files on the PS3.

Quick answer, NO, not yet anyway....
Message 24 of 184 (566 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Jan 1, 2008

No it's not. DMZ is disabled. It's my understanding that DMZ is potentially dangerous:

DMZ hosting forwards all the ports at the same time to one PC. The Port Forwarding feature is more secure because it only opens the ports you want to have opened, while DMZ hosting opens all the ports of one computer, exposing the computer so the Internet can see it.

I don't want to do that! I'm already using Port Forwarding to another Linux box. Besides, I can share things with ushare on my Linux box already so I know that communications between the PS3 and my computers works through the router already. Why WMP Media Sharing doesn't work I still don't know.

I've learned that I can stream mpg's but not avi's or many other video file formats. Is there any chance that Sony will update the PS3 to support more formats? Also, I got a converter to convert various video formats to mpeg (FX MPEG Writer). I also downloaded a free video from the Playstation Store. In the downloaded video things like fast forward/rewind, etc. work. In the converted mpeg video none of that works. How can I convert say avi files or mov files -> mpeg and have those controls working?

Finally I can't stream any mp3 files. What file formats does the PS3 support. I saw a list one time that said that mpeg 1 layer 3 is supported. My mp3's are mpeg 1 layer 3 but won't play!

Message 25 of 184 (566 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Jan 1, 2008

redbullssg wrote:

defaria wrote:
I'm not able to get WMP11 and the PS3 to communicate together. I think my problem is that I don't see anything listed box below the "Share my media to" checkbox in the Media Sharing dialog box in WMP11. I believe I have proper services running (HTTPS SSL, SSDP Discovery Service, Universal Plug and Play Device Host and Windows Media Player Network Service). Still nothing shows up under Share my media to and nothing gets listed on the PS3 after scanning for a media server.

I know that UPNP and media sharing works as I can see things from Azureus' media sharing service. Also, I've installed ushare on my Linux box (where all my media really resides) and I have managed to view photos and some videos (Apparently the PS3 only supports MPEGs ! ). I cannot play any audio files!!! Most of my audio files are MP3 though I do have a few WMA. All are listed as Unsupported Data (through ushare - again Windows Media Server still doesn't work).

Questions:

There are other solutions if you do a search.  There are some in the link in my sig.... 

That doesn't work. It says "Then(with your PS3 on and logged in, and media share enabled in networksettings) you should see "unknown device". But I don't see anything in the box. Not unknown device - nothing.

I also tried changing the IPSec to manual. Nothing changed...

Remove Windows Media Player and reinstall it? Can't do. Attempting to uninstall it says: "It is not possible to uninstall Windows Media Player 11 because tolders that are required for the uninstall have already been deleted"

WRT the second fix: "
Go to “C: drive”, “docs and settings”, “all users”, then under that there should be the “DRM” folder.  In that folder delete everything." It's actually under ...\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft. Cleared that out. Nothing different.

I'm gonna try rebooting...

Message 26 of 184 (566 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
32 posts

Jan 2, 2008
yay got it to  work thanks guys

Systems:smileytongue:S3 80gb. PSP SLIM (ceramic white) PSP PHAT
PSP Games: MLB.SFTB.SFTB2.Ashtonishia story.After Burner.Avatar.JLH.Prince of persia R.PQ.NFSMW.300.SWBF.NBALIVE06.MHF1.MLB2J6.UG&G
Memory cards: 2- 1gb pro duo....1- 4gb pro duo
Message 27 of 184 (566 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
813 posts

Jan 2, 2008

defaria wrote:

redbullssg wrote:

defaria wrote:

Questions:

That doesn't work. It says "Then(with your PS3 on and logged in, and media share enabled in networksettings) you should see "unknown device". But I don't see anything in the box. Not unknown device - nothing.

Remove Windows Media Player and reinstall it? Can't do. Attempting to uninstall it says: "It is not possible to uninstall Windows Media Player 11 because tolders that are required for the uninstall have already been deleted"

Go to “C: drive”, “docs and settings”, “all users”, then under that there should be the “DRM” folder.  In that folder delete everything." It's actually under ...\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft. Cleared that out. Nothing different.

SOunds like you have file that your WMP11 needs that have been deleted.  Best find a way to uninstall or FIX it.  Try to re-install over the current WMP11....

The second part.  Well, the instructions I gave were for XP, it sounds like you have Vista.
Message 28 of 184 (566 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
40 posts

Jan 3, 2008

defaria wrote:

Finally I can't stream any mp3 files. What file formats does the PS3 support. I saw a list one time that said that mpeg 1 layer 3 is supported. My mp3's are mpeg 1 layer 3 but won't play!

I remember seeing a list that had the following:

ATRAC (.oma .msa .aa3), AAC (.3gp .mp4), MP3 (.mp3), WAV (.wav)
Message 29 of 184 (566 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Jan 3, 2008

SOunds like you have file that your WMP11 needs that have been deleted.  Best find a way to uninstall or FIX it.  Try to re-install over the current WMP11....

Tried that. Did no good. Reinstalling changed nothing. Attempting to uninstall ellicits the same error message.

The second part.  Well, the instructions I gave were for XP, it sounds like you have Vista.

But I have XP! You said "docs and settings" (which, BTW is technically incorrect as it's "Documents and Settings" and it's not guaranteed to be the C drive either as the user can install the OS on a different drive letter). "Documents and Settings" is XP specific. For Vista that'd be "Users".

Message 30 of 184 (566 Views)
0 Likes