First Son
17 posts

Re: HOW TO: Media Sharing between PS3 and WMP11 (Windows Media Player 11) PC

Jan 14, 2008

vequalsir wrote:
I started seeing the ps3 as an unknown device for sharing.

In your message you stated you were already sharing from a linux box.  Is that to the ps3, or to a windows machine?  If you are already sharing to the ps3 using other media servers, I agree it's not a router setting.  If you are only able to share pc(linux) to pc(windows),
I have a Linux box where all my media resides. I share things, via Samba, to my PC. So WMP sees all my media on the Samba share. To my surprise I saw Azerues (a bit torrent client) running on my Windows box on the PS3. I also downloaded and set up ushare to run on the Linux box. That shows up and I can stream things - only some things mind you. I can stream mpegs but not AVIs, I can stream photos (jpgs), etc. I cannot get MP3's (i.e. music) to share at all. It just lists as "unknown data".

I would suggest trying to set the reservation on the ip and also lower the broadcast frequency (every minute...default is usually every 30minutes) for upnp. You can set this back to default once things are working.
How exactly do I "lower the broadcast frequency for upnp"? Also would that be on the Linux box, or the Windows box?
does you router show the ps3 in the upnp table?
How does one tell? Where is this table?
Message 51 of 184 (303 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
487 posts

Jan 14, 2008
Does this work with Windows 2000? I know it works with XP, but I had to format and my CD Key got messed up, so I can't install XP anymore.
Message 52 of 184 (303 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 15, 2008
First .. Special Thanx to Askanison01 & Others for thier efforts .. that was helpful...

but still.. i can connect without any problems only through my Vista not XP although i performed the SAME EXACT STEPS !!

its not showing  that ( Unknown Device )  on ( Configure Sharing ) window.. sharing is enabled..

the thing here is >> i enabled the ( Sharing ) on the ( Vista Network Settings ) which i couldnt find on XP ..

both systems have WMP 11 .. im using NTFS ... i shut down my Firewalls although WMP is enabled.. but whatever ..

Media Server enabled on PS3 .. its workin fine on vista but since i have alot of problems with that x64 version i tried to do it on XP...

i did the same exact settings for WMP... but its not working on XP..

PLEASE .. HELP !!!
Message 53 of 184 (303 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 15, 2008
I've taken the time to read this thread very carefully and I've tried pretty much all the scenarios proposed but still, WMP11 (on Vista) cannot see my PS3!!! BUT for some odd reason my XP PC can see the PS3 and I can see all my pictures, vids and music. Here's what my set-up looks like:

Cable Modem > wired > Belkin router > Vista PC
                       > wired > Belkin router > PS3
                       > wireless (Belkin router) > XP PC

If anyone out there has a definitive set-up or troubleshooting guide PLEASE by all means ANY assistance would be great!!

P.S. All my services are set to automatice in services.msc (UPnP, SSDP, Windows Media Network Sharing, etc...)

And also, I have the latest firmware on my PS3... 2.10!

Thnx
Message 54 of 184 (303 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 15, 2008
man ... 100% opposite.. whats goin on every 1?

Message Edited by Kutla on 01-15-2008 01:32 PM
Message 55 of 184 (303 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 16, 2008
What do you mean 100% opposite ?!?!??

My XP PC sees the PS3 and the Vista PC cannot see the PS3!! This is frustrating...

Sorry Kutla, I have a different set of issues....
Message 56 of 184 (303 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
813 posts

Jan 19, 2008

Coolice wrote:
I just set up Media Sharing.  But when ever I tried to watch AVI file, it says data is corrupted.  What am I doing wrong?
thanks

This isn't a problem with WMP11.  It is a AVI file that is not supported by the PS3 or may be incomplete or like it said, corrupt. 

Is this one file, or everything that you try?
Message 57 of 184 (303 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
813 posts

Jan 19, 2008
Message 58 of 184 (303 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
813 posts

Jan 19, 2008

defaria wrote:

redbullssg wrote:

defaria wrote:
I'm not able to get WMP11 and the PS3 to communicate together. I think my problem is that I don't see anything listed box below the "Share my media to" checkbox in the Media Sharing dialog box in WMP11. I believe I have proper services running (HTTPS SSL, SSDP Discovery Service, Universal Plug and Play Device Host and Windows Media Player Network Service). Still nothing shows up under Share my media to and nothing gets listed on the PS3 after scanning for a media server.

I know that UPNP and media sharing works as I can see things from Azureus' media sharing service. Also, I've installed ushare on my Linux box (where all my media really resides) and I have managed to view photos and some videos (Apparently the PS3 only supports MPEGs ! ). I cannot play any audio files!!! Most of my audio files are MP3 though I do have a few WMA. All are listed as Unsupported Data (through ushare - again Windows Media Server still doesn't work).

Questions:

1) How do I get WMP11 to see the PS3?
2) How do I get the PS3 to list Windows Media Sharing to work?
3) If Windows Media Sharing were working then could I stream my MP3 files?
4) Why doesn't MP3 files stream through ushare?

There are other solutions if you do a search.  There are some in the link in my sig.... 

That doesn't work. It says "Then(with your PS3 on and logged in, and media share enabled in networksettings) you should see "unknown device". But I don't see anything in the box. Not unknown device - nothing.

I also tried changing the IPSec to manual. Nothing changed...

Remove Windows Media Player and reinstall it? Can't do. Attempting to uninstall it says: "It is not possible to uninstall Windows Media Player 11 because tolders that are required for the uninstall have already been deleted"

WRT the second fix: "
Go to “C: drive”, “docs and settings”, “all users”, then under that there should be the “DRM” folder.  In that folder delete everything." It's actually under ...\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft. Cleared that out. Nothing different.

I'm gonna try rebooting...

Oh, and to clarify this...  This was a suggested fix I used from someone else(copy and pasted), if you could read you would have seen this....  I fixed the "docs", but everything else is correct...  If you could read and follow directions from the begining correctly, the DRM folder is in the path that I specified, on a computer running Window XP home edition....  If you could read, you would have seen this at the very top of my thread....

***NOTE***  These are solutions based on Window XP Home Edition.  All of the below may still work for Windows VISTA, but may translate slightly different.  I have not confirmed these steps in VISTA as I do not run it any longer, and the version that I did have was BETA....

YOu would have also seen this--- "There seems to be a couple separate issues with Windows Media Player 11/Media Share. I will try to cover all, but I am not guaranteeing that this will fix it.  It has for me and some others.  I am in no way responsible for any mishaps or occurances of malfunction in any way….

Message 59 of 184 (303 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34444 posts

Jan 22, 2008
In regards to the numeorus posts I've deleted from this thread, those that can't play nice will be going to time-out. There's no need for insults and name calling.
"Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start
Just because we use cheats doesn't mean we're not smart."
- Moldy Peaches
Message 60 of 184 (303 Views)
0 Likes