Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 12 2008
By: Tmini76 Lombax Warrior 221 posts

Guide to Yellow Dog Linux On PS3

20 replies 107 views Edited Jan 12, 2008

Yellow Dog Linux On PS3

Ok before you start there are things you will need. Don't continue if missing one of these, otherwise you installnation will be unsuccessful:
  1.     The most recent update for ps3
  2.     otheros.bld (Bootloader) download here
  3.     DVD Burner
  4.     Blank dvd that is supported by the ps3
  5.     A memory card (SD) or a flash/external harddrive
  6.     The iso of the version you want of yellow dog linux Yellow Dog Linux 5.0.1
  7.     Keyboard and mouse

Step 1: First you must format your harddrive. That means we must wipe out everything stored on your harddrive. You can use the ps3 backuptool to save your media that is on your ps3 so do that now. Now go to Settings > System Setting > Format Harddrive. When it asks to do a full format or partial choose full. This should take around 2 hours.

Picture of the PS3 about to format.

Step 2: Now you need to partition your harddrive. This means that you are basicly splitting your hardrive and some space goes to the ps3 and some goes to the otheros. Go to Settings > System Settings > Partition Harddrive. This is where you need to make a choice do you want the ps3 to have more space or linux, keep in mind the more space linux has the faster it will go.

Step 3: Now we must install the otheros.bld a.k.a. (Bootloader). Take you memory card or flash/external hardrive and plug it into your computer. Make a folder called "PS3" no quotation marks all caps in the memory card or flash/external harddrive. Then inside that make a folder called "otheros" no quotations all lowercase. Then inside that folder save the otheros.bld in it. Now put your memory card or flash/external harddrive in the ps3. Go to Settings > System Settings > Install Other OS. The ps3 should find it and the hit X to install. If it didn't find it you made a mistake so follow the steps carefully again.

Picture of the PS3 that found the bootloader.

Step 4: Now we must get the iso of yellow dog linux on to the dvd. Some people use Nero to burn the dvd, but if you don't feel like spending money DVD Decrypter can burn iso's for free. First insert the disk. Then open DVD Decrypter. Go to the top and select Mode > ISO > Write. Click on the folder icon to browse for iso . Now click on the image  that looks like a harddrive pointing to a dvd and make sure to select the burn speed 2.4x and then it will start burning.

Mode > ISO > Write

1.Select ISO.  2.Write Mode 2.4x.   3.Click the drive to dvd picture to start burning.

Picture of the burning process.

Step 5: Insert the dvd into the ps3. Go To Settings > System Settings > Default OS and select other os. It will ask to reboot select yes. Now you should start pluging the keyboard and mouse in now. Ok now if you did this right it will go to a black screen with a bunch of text and some penguins at the top

Picture of the kboot.

Now if you have you console hooked up to a high definition tv with component or hdmi then just type "install" without quotations marks and hit enter. If you have a standard definition tv hooked up to your ps3 the you should type "installtext" no quotations no space. Now you should go through the installnation process. This take about 40 minutes. Some time during the installnation process it will ask for a password, this password is for the adminstrator acount so don't forget it. During installnation it will say that the harddrive needs to be formatted and partitioned but don't worry it will just delete its side of the harddrive so choose yes. Linux cant use the ps3's side of the harddrive. At the end it will ask if you want to setup sub acounts. These are not the adminstrator acounts if you are the only one using linux on your ps3 then choose to continue without make any. After installing it should restart. You have successfully installed yellow dog linux on your ps3. When you start linux up it will boot up and then ask for your username and password. If you created a sub acount the type the username you chose. But if you are the only one using your linux on ps3 then the username for the administrator is root and the password is the one you chose during installnation.

Message Edited by cyben on 01-11-2008 09:32 PM

Message Edited by cyben on 01-11-2008 09:32 PM

Message Edited by cyben on 01-11-2008 09:42 PM

Message Edited by cyben on 01-11-2008 09:43 PM

----------------------------------------------------------

Message 1 of 21 (107 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3148 posts

Re: Guide to Yellow Dog Linux On PS3

Jan 15, 2008
thanks for putting this together, will be using it once my copy of linux finishes downloading (taking forever )
search
Message 2 of 21 (107 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
234 posts

Jan 15, 2008
ok now how do i go back to ps3???
Message 3 of 21 (107 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jan 15, 2008
reserved for use when i get my new harddrive... thanks!!!

Message 4 of 21 (107 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
487 posts

Jan 15, 2008
YDL is taking forever to download...=(
I will give this a try when it's done.
Message 5 of 21 (107 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Jan 15, 2008
open up a console window and type "boot-game-os" without the quotes. there should also be an option in the windowing menu.
Message 6 of 21 (107 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
133 posts

Jan 15, 2008
can i put the bootloader and the iso on the dvd and it will work cuz i tryed it ur way and it didnt work and i cant find the Partition Harddrive
Message 7 of 21 (107 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Jan 15, 2008
Some of the newer YDL's have the bootloader built in to the ISO. Use Alcohol or something like it to see what is in the ISO.
Message 8 of 21 (107 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
133 posts

Jan 16, 2008
i dont have a keybored or mouse can i use the controller
Message 9 of 21 (107 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2427 posts

Jan 16, 2008

darkmike90 wrote:
i dont have a keybored or mouse can i use the controller

No you have to use a USB keyboard and mouse.

Want to learn more about Linux on the PS3 - Linux 101 - got questions? we got answers!
Want to use Flash in Linux on your PS3 - Flash in Linux
Need help burning an ISO to a disk - here's help

PSN: cancech
Message 10 of 21 (107 Views)
0 Likes