Apr 22 2009
By: R8tedRsupaStar First Son 19 posts

Game Stop is the devil

15 replies 17 views Edited Apr 22, 2009
Hey folks....i am really peeved at game stop. I went in there yesterday to get a new controller and some guy was in line ahead of me ready to trade in some games. Being the nosy **bleep** I am, I was looking on and he had 3 games, SVR 2008, Madden 09 and Sonic the hedgehog. He got a total of $26.00, thats about half the price of a freaking controller. Does anyone else trade thier games in for bottom dollar, I mean it benefits guys like me who buy your used games for a cheaper costs, but i mean its damn ridiculous. I would never trade a game their, i either sell it to a friend or keep it myself. If you're gonna sell a game later don't buy it...gamefly it....save u money in the long run.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 16 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
318 posts

Re: Game Stop is the devil

Apr 22, 2009
I second you bro, but what does it got to do with PS3 Media? lol
Whatisthebiglongbuttonathebottomofthekeyboardfor?
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 16 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1490 posts

Apr 22, 2009

R8tedRsupaStar wrote:
Hey folks....i am really peeved at game stop. I went in there yesterday to get a new controller and some guy was in line ahead of me ready to trade in some games. Being the nosy **bleep** I am, I was looking on and he had 3 games, SVR 2008, Madden 09 and Sonic the hedgehog. He got a total of $26.00, thats about half the price of a freaking controller. Does anyone else trade thier games in for bottom dollar, I mean it benefits guys like me who buy your used games for a cheaper costs, but i mean its damn ridiculous. I would never trade a game their, i either sell it to a friend or keep it myself. If you're gonna sell a game later don't buy it...gamefly it....save u money in the long run.

What does it matter it's HIS games. Why didnt you buy it from him for retail price if you was so concerned he was getting ripped?

We dont go in there thinking we're getting much... and I'm sure he understood that as well.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 16 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1279 posts

Apr 22, 2009

MarvelousMont wrote:
We dont go in there thinking we're getting much... and I'm sure he understood that as well.

Exactly. You always have the choice to say no after they tell you what they'll give ya for the stuff. I traded in force Unleashed this weekend and only got 15 bucks. Yeah, I said a silent **bleep** for sure but traded it right on in anyway. I knew for sure I would never play the game again since it had no trophies or online play. I'm not the type that ever plays through a single player story on any game more than once. It just doesn't interest me anymore after I have already played through it once. 

A lot of people are this way and IMO, the $15 I got was more than it would ever be worth to me again.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 16 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5740 posts

Apr 22, 2009
its yur choice to sell or not. you get more with store credit and even more with one of thier discount cards. i buy used games all the time and on the rare occasion, trade. if i want the cash, i would sell on ebay. i rarely have issues with gamestop and actually like the store near me.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 16 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
203 posts

Apr 22, 2009

Then they turn around and sell the used games for $2 less than a new copy.

And that's not even the reason why I never go into gameslop: after waiting on line for a half hour (because the clerk has to try and sell each customer pre-orders for every game coming out in the next year, a magazine subscription, and god knows what else; the few times there, I ignore them after the magazine shilling) you have to wait another half hour while the fruitcake looks for the game. Then if they actually have the game, you have to check and make sure that they gave you the right one, or anything at all for that matter.

The only gamestop I can tolerate is the one under Rockefeller Center. Every other one I've been in is clerked and managed by the most annoying dbags imaginable. 

Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 16 (17 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Apr 23, 2009
I don't do any selling, trading or buying at Game Stop. You can find better deals for all 3 on either eBay or craigslist. I would give the edge to craiglist. I have sold games for more on their then what I would get from Game Stop and have found really good deals for games on there.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 16 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12266 posts

Apr 23, 2009

GameStop is good for some quick cash but that is about it.  People take a huge hit on the trade-in/cash values of games and GameStop makes a huge profit on their used content.  For example, they will give someone about $5-$10 trade-in credit for Rock Band 2/Guitar Hero IV wireless drums as they see it as a third party controller.  The store will then turn around and slap at least a $70 price tag on these making a minimum of about $60 profit.  New games that are traded in normally fetch a price of $25-$30.  You could buy a game the day it is released, open the plastic, and trade it in for $25-$30.  The store will then put a $54.99 price tag on it making $25-$30 on it.

That is why I hardly ever trade anything in.  There have been a couple of times where I traded in games but I applied them towards a deal.  For example, my Dad purchased three games for me.  These games were a few months old, each game had a normal trade-in value of about $15.  I didn't wont one of these games (it was a stupid Sonic 3D game for the other console) and I already had two others.  So I took the games in when GameStop was giving extra trade-in credit when reservingn Resident Evil 5.  I was able to get the majority of the $90 required for the special edition as they gave me an extra 25% on each trade-in and I had a card giving me an additional 15%.  I ended up having to shell out about $20 to pay off the special edition of the game.

That was about the only time I traded anything in.  I normally purchased my games from Amazon.com as I can get free second day air shipping (I am an Amazon Prime member) and I don't get charged for taxes.  So a $59.99 game comes out to $59.99, not $63.  The only time I don't buy from Amazon is when Best Buy has sales on their games.  Even then, Amazon will normally decrease the prices of their games to match (or beat) Best Buy's prices.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 16 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
812 posts

Apr 24, 2009
yeah, man, game stop does suck... i bought SOCOM one night and hated it so i brought it to gamestop the next day and even told the chick at the counter i just got it last night but she only gave me a little over $11 for it... thats crap!
NotALegend Trophy Card
userbarz.com
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 16 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5436 posts

Apr 24, 2009

R8tedRsupaStar wrote:

what do you care, it was his choice to sell his games. If I had those 3, Id sell em too! BLAH!

320gb Slim
500gb Slim
SoftModded Wii with 640GB HDD
320gb XBox 360 S
LG 55" 120Hz LCD
LG 1000w 5.1
42" Panasonic Viera Plasma
4TB Media Server
320GB HD PVR

Playstation Plus Member

Gaming Since 1983
Please use plain text.