http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2010/03/18/flac-support-for-the-ps3/

Message 31 of 42 (172 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Re: Flac support for PS3

Oct 18, 2010

Neridqe wrote:

so very good idea, but just a bit "over the top" for the ps3 at the moment( again, unless you install linux)

Message Edited by Neridqe on 12-07-2007 07:01 PM

A bit over the top? Are you serious right now? The PS3 is a multi core system and FLAC is opensource I am sure that the likes of Sony could incorporate it with a simple update. As for the PS3, it should have little difficulty decoding a PS3. Heck, it can handle Blu-Rays!

Message 32 of 42 (172 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Oct 29, 2010

C'mon Sony.  MP3's sound absolutely horrible.  Support FLAC!

Message 33 of 42 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12266 posts

Oct 29, 2010

shanethegeek wrote:

A bit over the top? Are you serious right now? The PS3 is a multi core system and FLAC is opensource I am sure that the likes of Sony could incorporate it with a simple update. As for the PS3, it should have little difficulty decoding a PS3. Heck, it can handle Blu-Rays!

The PS3 is actually a single-core system with multiple SPEs.  It doesn't change your later statement saying that it should be able to decode FLAC rather easily.  My 1GHz Snapdragon powered Droid Incredible can playback FLAC files without issues.  However, the PS3 passes off Blu-ray video deocding to the Nvidia GPU for hardware acceleration.  It is pretty much the same type of technology allowing netbooks to playback 1080p content.  So the ability of the PS3 to playback Blu-ray movies is irrelevant as it is mostly handled by dedicated decoding hardware in the RSX.

craw4dm wrote:

C'mon Sony.  MP3's sound absolutely horrible.  Support FLAC!

I guess you have multiple blind ABX test results to back up those claims?  As I said, I am all for adding FLAC playback capabilities to the PS3.  However, the reasons given in this thread range from "teh mp3 is teh sucksorz!" to "jest ad it!" just don't cut it.  Sony needs an educated reason for adding FLAC compatibility to the PS3.  A thread filled with people saying "mp3 sucks" without providing proof that they can actually differentiate between the lossless source and the lossy file just doesn't look good.  No, switching back and forth between tracks on your iPod or computer is not the same as conducting a true blind ABX test.  There are many reasons why blind tests are conducted and many of them are similar to the tests that prescription drug companies conduct.

Message 34 of 42 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
37 posts

Oct 29, 2010

I for one would love Flac support on the ps3,I stream them at the moment from a media server but it gets annoying turning on my computer on just to hear my music.

So come on Sony lets please add FLAC support and make the ps3 the ultimate hub

Ps. make compatible with flac 24/96 also THX.

Message 35 of 42 (172 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Jan 4, 2011

AliJune wrote:

Your 2nd comment is rather misguided and I already addressed it in my original post.  Compression has been used in recording longer than you and I have been alive, and whatever 'artifacts' mention (nevermind you could never point them out since we use $20,000 machines to compress the vocal tracks over the production cycle) are way easier to put up with, if even noticable, than the artists or the instruments original sound.

This is a fundamental error to confuse FLAC,MP3 (Data based) compression (lossles and lossy respecively) with Prodution (dynamic range) compression.

Dynamic range compression used in music production (typically used on vocals) is actually related to the amplitude(volume) of the overall sound by in its simplest terms is used to even out the amplitude(volume) of the overall sound, this is why it is known as dynamic range compression( the difference between louder and quiter parts).

This is an entirely different thing to Flac & mp3's in that Flac & mp3's use an algorythm to compress the Data in regard to its storage size.

the difference between the way flac & mp3's perform this type of compression is that mp3's omit certain relatively impercieved frequencies and other methods to reduce the file size (but a higher bitrate will give better results but bigger files).

flac compresses the file losslessly which means that when it is played back it is the same as the original recording as it has retained its integrity not using the technique of mp3.

There is no really valid reason to use flac over a .wav file as the process of decompressing the flac file into a linear audio stream (just like a wav) apart from just adds the unecessary extra processs of  decompression.

Just use a wav file(linear uncompressed audio). simple

Message 36 of 42 (172 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6529 posts

Jan 6, 2011

Cyber7PUNK wrote:

AliJune wrote:

Your 2nd comment is rather misguided and I already addressed it in my original post.  Compression has been used in recording longer than you and I have been alive, and whatever 'artifacts' mention (nevermind you could never point them out since we use $20,000 machines to compress the vocal tracks over the production cycle) are way easier to put up with, if even noticable, than the artists or the instruments original sound.

This is a fundamental error to confuse FLAC,MP3 (Data based) compression (lossles and lossy respecively) with Prodution (dynamic range) compression.

Dynamic range compression used in music production (typically used on vocals) is actually related to the amplitude(volume) of the overall sound by in its simplest terms is used to even out the amplitude(volume) of the overall sound, this is why it is known as dynamic range compression( the difference between louder and quiter parts).

This is an entirely different thing to Flac & mp3's in that Flac & mp3's use an algorythm to compress the Data in regard to its storage size.

the difference between the way flac & mp3's perform this type of compression is that mp3's omit certain relatively impercieved frequencies and other methods to reduce the file size (but a higher bitrate will give better results but bigger files).

flac compresses the file losslessly which means that when it is played back it is the same as the original recording as it has retained its integrity not using the technique of mp3.

There is no really valid reason to use flac over a .wav file as the process of decompressing the flac file into a linear audio stream (just like a wav) apart from just adds the unecessary extra processs of  decompression.

Just use a wav file(linear uncompressed audio). simple

Couldn't have said it better...

Launch PS4 || Launch 60GB YLOD || PS3 Slim 1TB || Gaming since October 1977 (Atari VCS launch)
Message 37 of 42 (172 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Apr 11, 2011

Too much nonsense here. The post is clear, WE NEED FLAC SUPPORT, period!

If you really enjoy the music you like, then why suffice with mediocre formats?

Message 38 of 42 (172 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Apr 16, 2011

So wait...the PS3 can't play FLAC?? Hell, 80 % of my music collection is FLAC.

Now granted, I don't have them on my internal hdd and stream them with TVersity. The only issue I have with playing FLAC is that in the file browser, theres like 4 -7 copies of the same song. Yes they all play, but why so many copies??lol

IDK.

Message 39 of 42 (172 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Oct 27, 2011

Take a listen to this podcast and the forum thread re: mp3

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/steam-vent/62974-av-rant-166-all-about-mp3s.html

Message 40 of 42 (172 Views)
0 Likes