May 29 2007
By: Strief First Son 26 posts

DLNA Media Server - work with iTunes?

6 replies 4902 views Edited May 29, 2007
Anyone know if the DLNA media server allows me to connect to my PC running iTunes?
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (4,902 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
318 posts

Re: DLNA Media Server - work with iTunes?

May 29, 2007

Strief wrote:
Anyone know if the DLNA media server allows me to connect to my PC running iTunes?

According to other posts, it doesnt Sorry man.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (4,902 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

May 31, 2007
Boo ... however I guess if I've been careful to import my CDs as MP3, I can just point
WMP 11 at the iTunes library for now.  Would really like to see this integration supported
already
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (4,902 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Jun 9, 2007
Wow that would be awesome.. My itunes library is so organized, wmp is all out of wack.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (4,902 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jun 9, 2007
I have TVersity working just fine with iTunes MP3 *and* AAC files, just unprotected files though.  I seriously doubt any sharing will ever work with protected AAC and Apple Lossless files though.

MP3 works natively and AAC files are sent as PCM.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (4,902 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jul 26, 2008

Both iTunes and WMP11 can work on the folder/file organisation of the other or even another 3rd one "custom" - so thi sshould not be a show stopper

I personally have also a very well organised WMP 11 library and could get iTunes point to it and my children ha iTunes library (more or less organised and I could point a WMP 11 to it as well without any truble orside effect). So yes this is a valid option to share with PS3.

By the way, iTunes may be more attractive and got etwork sharing earlier than WMP, on the other end, iTunes is not DLNA compatible while WMP11 is. I have a home server and run simultaenously the WMP11 as DLNA server fo the PS3, WMP11 etc... in the house and iTunes in "server mode" to support remote iTunes (my childeren are retrieving media out of the home server to feed their iPods). Regards

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (4,902 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
195 posts

Jul 26, 2008

If you mean iTunes library sharing - NO it is not DLNA-compliant. (Apple "thinks different" you see... )

PS3 will play AAC files but doesn't recognize iTunes tags, so you'll just get a mess of "Unknown" files.

WMP11 won't even recognize AAC files, but TVersity does.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (4,902 Views)
0 Likes