Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 12 2010
By: WB-WATERMAN First Son 4 posts

Best Wireless Router for PS3

6 replies 14744 views Edited Mar 12, 2010

I have a D-Link wireless G router that is going bad and need to replace it. What is the best router to use with the PS3 for the highest speed I can get. Was told I needed a N router that it would give me a faster connection speed. I don't anything fancy just your basic router. I have a small single story home so I don't need to have a large wireless area. Any info on this would be great and the best place to buy one for the best price.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (14,744 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5436 posts

Re: Best Wireless Router for PS3

Mar 13, 2010

WB-WATERMAN wrote:

I have a D-Link wireless G router that is going bad and need to replace it. What is the best router to use with the PS3 for the highest speed I can get. Was told I needed a N router that it would give me a faster connection speed. I don't anything fancy just your basic router. I have a small single story home so I don't need to have a large wireless area. Any info on this would be great and the best place to buy one for the best price.

Thanks!

Any wireless G router will be just fine. Your best bet for speed is to have a wired network - nothing beats it, especially if you want to stream HD over a network. N is faster but the ps3 will need an N usb adapter - brings your cost up and constantly uses at usb port.

Go with an affordable G router. Its more than enough for gaming.

320gb Slim
500gb Slim
SoftModded Wii with 640GB HDD
320gb XBox 360 S
LG 55" 120Hz LCD
LG 1000w 5.1
42" Panasonic Viera Plasma
4TB Media Server
320GB HD PVR

Playstation Plus Member

Gaming Since 1983
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (14,744 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
218 posts

Mar 13, 2010

oknitro wrote:

WB-WATERMAN wrote:

Thanks!

Any wireless G router will be just fine. Your best bet for speed is to have a wired network - nothing beats it, especially if you want to stream HD over a network. N is faster but the ps3 will need an N usb adapter - brings your cost up and constantly uses at usb port.

Go with an affordable G router. Its more than enough for gaming.

I just want to add onto the comment made by oknitro. I definitely agree with him that wireless G is sufficient for gaming, but I found that if you want to stream HD video into your PS3, it helps to have the bandwidth provided by wireless N. Likewise, if you do a lot of file transfers, like photos, music files, etc, the wireless N router helps get the data there faster. You will need to get a wireless-N bridge or USB adapter on the PS3 side, as oknitro pointed out though.

9-year old Schlermie playing Telstar pong - Xmas 1976
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (14,744 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12266 posts

Mar 13, 2010

I suggest getting a dual-band 802.11n wi-fi router.  Even though the PS3 only uses 802.11g, all future devices are supporting n.  You can even purchase an el-cheapo notebook for $350-$400 and it will support 802.11n.  I purchased Apple's AirPort Extreme Base Station.  I have it put out both 802.11n for my new notebook and 802.11g for my netbook and Xb*x 36*.  The router is right next to my PS3 so I just directly  plugged it in via ethernet.  This allows me to fully stream 1080p Blu-ray content (actualy Blu-ray content encoded at 25-40Mbps).  I don't recommend going with Apple's simply because it was expensive.  The only reason I went with it is because I had a $50 gift card to the Apple store.

However, a dual-band router would be my recommendation simply because you are eventually going to purchase an 802.11n device.  Single-band 802.11n routers will go back down to 802.11g if there is just one g device accessing the network.  This means that all n devices will be slowed down to g.  So you could purchase a single-band 802.11n wireless router but it won't benefit your PS3 since it will go back down to g and perform just like every other 802.11g router out there.  A dual-band n router prevents this.  Plus you could always put the router next to the PS3, hook it up via ethernet, and then stream content with a new 802.11n computer that you will definitely purchase down the line (since 802.11n is becoming standard).

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (14,744 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Nov 10, 2010

i got bored reading that cause it was so long, but it seems like im going out two buy a mega dual router

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (14,744 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8098 posts

Nov 10, 2010
Re: USB Wifi bridge: it won't work since the PS3 does not support USB network devices. If you want to use an N-band wifi bridge, it has to connnect via Ethernet. The wifi bridge gets setup with your wifi settings and the PS3 gets setup on an automatic wired setting. If the bridge is setup correctly, the PS3 should see it as a wired connection.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (14,744 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jan 6, 2012

So if i buy a 'Netgear N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router' for my PS3, would it work?If u don't know what it is check it out at this website:

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wirelessrouters/ultimate-performance/WNDR4500.aspx

Please reply and tell me if it is compatible.]

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (14,744 Views)
0 Likes