Monster Hunter
39 posts

Re: "An Install Error Occurred During the Install...

Sep 22, 2008

Well, it turns out my theory was wrong. Re-downloading the same game that just failed on an install (meaning keep the first download of the game, so you have two copies of the same game downloaded on your PS3) does not fix the error. I tried this with Fracture, and both instances of the game failed on the install.

_CoMmAnDeR_ - I have tried not background downloading, but it does not matter, I still get the error. The error seems to be very random. I have been able to get The Last Guy (demo & full) to install. For example, the demo of The Last Guy has failed on the install every time, except for about 4 times (I have downloaded it about 15 times now for testing purposes). As well, the first time I downloaded the full version (I bought it, thinking maybe the demo was just causing the error) of The Last Guy, it failed the first time on install. So I deleted that file, and re-downloaded it. The second time it installed just fine. However, with Fracture and MERCS 2 it has failed on the install every time. Mind you, I have a stupid slow 1.5MB connection, so every time I get a failed install it really hits hard, because thats means another 6+ hours of downloading time, just for one game demo.

I noticed the install error started for me on 09/07/08. The last demo I sucessfully downloaded was "Star Wars: The Force Unleashed". The next game after that was "The Last Guy" demo, of which I downloaded/(attempted) installed on 09/07/08. So I have no idea what could be causing it. However, at this point I believe it may have to do with the way Sonys servers are set up and/or the game data on those servers. They are definitely not as optimized as Microsoft's Live servers or Nintendo's Wii servers.

Message 11 of 38 (3,855 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4186 posts

Sep 22, 2008

This problem is probably located on the local PSN server near you, as you say. Game data is probably corrupted on one of them so when you connect to it to download it will fail on install. When you got to your friend's place other servers were closer so it did not connect to the one with the corrupted data on it (Maybe).

But it has nothing to do with connection speed, I have 2MB (Barely over yours) here in Montréal, but I have no problems downloading anything like that (Most recent is Last Guy demo). I know you have talked to Sony extensively about it but call them again and tell them there might be some issues with specific files on a local server because you only manage to get it four out of fifteen times, yet when you go to a friend's place you can download other files flawlessly, and you can also download other files at your place flawlessly as well.

Good luck

Message 12 of 38 (3,855 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
39 posts

Sep 22, 2008

Well, I recevied an official response from Sony today, regarding my original post. It's some what long, but basically they copied the FAQ pages from the Sony website and pasted it into the email they sent me. I have tried every single thing that they are asking me to try. Although they were speedy in response time, the actual support service sucks.

Hello Customer,

Thank you for writing us.

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. The most effective way for us to
assist you is by speaking with you directly. Please call our Consumer Services Department at (800)
345-7669. Our representatives are available to assist you, Monday through Saturday 6:00 a.m. - 8:00
p.m., and Sunday 7:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.

Please note, once the downloadable content has been purchased, you may download the content onto a
total of 5 different PLAYSTATION 3 systems. Additionally, while some content may not have a limit
to the amount of times it may be downloaded, some content may be removed at the discretion of the
publisher. Additional restrictions may apply.

To view content currently available on the PLAYSTATION(R)Store, please visit:

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Store

If your download from the PLAYSTATION(R)Network was interrupted or was not completed, you may
attempt to re-download the file. To do so please follow the instructions below:

On the PLAYSTATION(R)3 computer entertainment system:
- On the home menu of the PLAYSTATION(R)3 computer entertainment system, locate the incomplete
download file and press the "Triangle" button with the file highlighted. Select "Delete" and press
"X" to delete the file.
home menu and highlight "Account Management" and press the "X" button.
- Select "Transaction Management" and press the "X" button.
- Select "View Download List" and press the "X" button.
- Move the cursor to the product you wish to download, and press the "X" button on "Download". The
product will download to your PLAYSTATION(R)3 computer entertainment system.

On the PC Store:
- Make sure you have the PLAYSTATION(R)Network Downloader installed on your computer. To download
the PLAYSTATION Network Downloader visit: https://store.playstation.com/store/instructions.vm then
click on the "Download" button. Follow the on screen instructions to download and install the
Downloader software. (Please note content on the PC Store is only accessible on computers running
Windows XP or Vista at this time.)
- On the home menu of the PSP(R) portable entertainment system, locate the incomplete download file
and press the "Triangle" button with the file highlighted. Select "Delete" and press "X" to delete
the file.
- Connect the PSP system to your computer with the USB cable and place the PSP system into USB mode
(Settings > USB Connection).
- Go to the PC Store (http://store.playstation.com) and log into your PLAYSTATION(R)Network account.
- On the top right corner of the PC Store storefront, click on "Download List."
- Find the product you wish to download, and click on "Download". Follow the on screen prompts to
download the content back to the PSP system.

Additionally, if you have not already done so, perform the following recommendations which may also
correct the problem.

- Restore Default Settings

From the XMB(TM) menu, go to > > . Once you
select Restore Default Settings, you will see a list of settings that will be restored. Scroll
through them and press the X button to restore the settings. After the operation is complete, you
will see the initial setup screen that appeared the first time you turned on the PLAYSTATION(R)3
computer entertainment system. You will need to go through the initial setup process before you can
use the PLAYSTATION 3.

- Power-Cycle All Network Equipment

Power-cycle means to turn the networking devices OFF (i.e., unplug it from the power source), and
then to turn it back ON after a set period of time. This will allow the network devices to refresh
its settings. Please power-cycle ALL of your network equipment, including any wireless access
points, routers, Voice Over IP (VOIP) modems, and broadband modems for two (2) full minutes. After
2 minutes, you can turn on (or plug in) your equipment.

- Install the Latest Firmware Update

To check what version of the System Software is currently installed on your PLAYSTATION 3, from the
XMB menu go to > > . The system will display the
System Software version number. You can visit the following link to determine whether you have the
latest version installed.

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/About/SystemUpdate

You may wish to review our Knowledge Base for additional information:

http://playstation.custhelp.com

We would also recommend the following Knowledge Base articles that relate to this topic:

- PLAYSTATION Network content not installing

http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/playstation.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=922

- Downloaded content from PC Store not playing.

http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/playstation.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=485

If you have further questions regarding this message and are replying back via email, please refer
to your email case number:6309252.

Sophie
Multimedia Representative
Sony Computer Entertainment America
Consumer Services Department

Additional Support Resources
---------------------------------------------
PlayStation.com Knowledge Base: Browse through hundreds of helpful FAQ articles at our Knowledge
Base at PlayStation.com. To begin, please click on http://playstation.custhelp.com

PlayStation.com Support Page: You will find helpful content divided by our PlayStation(R) product
lines. Please visit http://www.us.playstation.com/Support and select the PlayStation product of
your choice to learn more.

Message 13 of 38 (3,855 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1583 posts

Sep 23, 2008
let us know what they tell u on the phone
Message 14 of 38 (3,855 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Re:(80029564) Error

Sep 24, 2008

Hey guys. This is totaly insane but my 80029564 error has began the same time after Star Wars Force Unleashed and Last guy Demos. And now Facebreaker, Fracture, Mercs 2 and now my newly purchased RnC Quest 4 Booty files will not install, i have Googled the error and have reset and done everything short of formatting the HDD. And today (lucky 4 me i live in rural area so no worries) I took encryption off of my wireless router and i have been redownloading Ratchet n Clank(full game). And i have also tried downloading WIRED insted of Wireless without any luck. Well NO LUCK, 2 of the tries have failed. Same damn error and same disappointment. I wish SONY hears the out-cries and fix this flub. i have never had an error b4 the September of 2008 with my installations. So as a loyal SONY guy I'm SCREAMING to them "PLEASE fix this!!!". Heck allow to download the files on PC if need be, and then install them thru storage media (mem stick or external HDD) on PS3. IF "NO" then I guess I will be needing my money back for Ratchet and Clank: Quest 4 Booty.

Thanks for any help in advance,

Big SONY guy Edgar G.

PSN ID#  TallE74

Message 15 of 38 (3,855 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
39 posts

Re: Re:(80029564) Error

Sep 24, 2008

Hello guys and girls, I just wanted to give an update that I have not called sony yet. I really don't think calling them again (for the 4th time) is going to help. I get the same BS from them every time.

ironwrkr - That is crazy you are having the exact same issue as me. This is proof that it has to do with Sony, and not on our end of things. I mean, when I can download perfectally on all my PC's, Nintendo Wii, and xbox 360, but my PS3 is the only one that is giving me problems, then it is obviously something to do with Sony and their servers. To "fix" your issue ironwrkr, take your PS3 over to a friends/relatives house (or whoever you can) that has a different ISP (or even if they have the same ISP, try it any way) and download Ratchet & Clank from there. I would be very interested to know if this fixes your problem, like it did mine. Let us all know, thanks man!

SpazzyNate - PSN ID

Message 16 of 38 (3,855 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4186 posts

Re: Re:(80029564) Error

Sep 24, 2008
It's either something to do with the server files or your ISP. And as more and more files you download have the same error, I suspect your ISP in the source of the problem. When you went to a friends house to download (Different ISP, different connection), you said it worked correctly. Civilization: Revolution is probably the exception that confirms the rule, since now a lot of files you download appear to be corrupt. Contact your ISP, or best yet, switch. It sucks I know but it will work on the other end I am sure. If the problem was with the server everybody would have the same problem, and they most certainly don't.
Message 17 of 38 (3,855 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Re: (80029564)."

Sep 25, 2008

Well guys i have forced my PS3 to download the same file "Ratchet and Clank Q4B" TEN different times and 9th one was the charm. i got it to install and i also had to disable the encryption on my wifi. and i also did it at night so PS3 was the main "byte hog". well i guess ill have to do the same with Facebreaker,Fracture and Mercs 2. Sony still needs to fix this nonsense.

im out and thanks again

Message 18 of 38 (3,855 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1583 posts

Re: (80029564)."

Sep 25, 2008
its gotta be something along of the lines of firmware errors is what im thinking.
Message 19 of 38 (3,855 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Sep 28, 2008

_CoMmAnDeR_ wrote:
i get the same error. I just dont hit backround download. Also sometime it will allowme to backround download 1 item but as soon as I click another item and backround download it, it will give me the error. When did this error start happening for you. For me it was since the 2.40 update

Same here. Although in my case I was able to solve the problem by plugging my DSL modem directly into my PS3. It's a minor inconvenience since I only have to do this on Thursdays. Playing online isn't affected one way or the other. Just seems odd. IDK. Wouldn't think something minor like that would really matter.
Permanently stopped at the railroad crossing of life...
Message 20 of 38 (3,855 Views)
0 Likes