Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sep 21 2008
By: SpazzyNate Monster Hunter 39 posts

"An Install Error Occurred During the Install Operation (80029564)."

37 replies 42805 views Edited Sep 21, 2008

This is the email I just sent to customer support at Sony. I have been on the phone with them several times, but I thought if I emailed (documented) exactly what was going on in writing, plus posted it on here for everyone to see, that maybe something would be done about this "80029564" error. If you don't believe me then do a google search. I LOVE the PS3, as it rocks much more than X"RROD" 360 and the Wii....well, yeah....nuff said (keep in mind I own all three consoles)

To whom this concerns:

First off, I apologize if this is extensivly long however, I need to explain my situation thoroughly.

Since the date of 09/07/08, I have been receiving the following error when downloading games (demo or full) from the

PSN Store and attempting to install them: "An error occurred during the install operation (80029564)."

This has happened on the following games (the number after the game is how many times I have downloaded them):

The Last Guy (demo) - 14
The Last Guy (full)
Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty (full) - 10
Fracture (demo) - 2
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames (demo) - 2

I have spoken to customer support at Sony three times, and was asked to try certain things, of which I did, but they did not fix the issue.

Here are thing's I have tried:

1. Disable "Media Server Connection" in the XMB on the PS3
2. Connect the PS3 directly to my DSL modem (I have tried both wireless and wired, as well as two different modems and three different routers)
3. Shut down all other networked equipment in the house (i.e. PC's, other game consoles, ect. - only the PS3 was running).
4. I opened all required ports on my modem for the PS3 (i have tried using a static IP and used DHCP to assign an IP to the PS3).
5. I then tried to download "The Last Guy" demo. The download completed (it always does), but the install fails with the error.

I have checked to make sure the file size is 211MB (I have also verified the file size is correct on the other games I have tried installing as well, that have failed).
6. I have tried downloading in the back ground, and NOT downloading in the back ground, both of which still fail when I attempt to install the downloaded game(s).
7. I have tried downloading the games seperately and all together, and the install(s) still fail.
8. I have deleted each instance of the downloaded game before attempting to re-download/install the same game.

I have tried those steps on all the games I am having trouble with, and they still fail on the install.

If you do a google search for "80029564" you will see that many others have also had this error. As well, downloads seem to be awfully slow at times.

I live in a smaller coastal community here in the US, so the only option to me is a single ISP that offers 1.5MB for the fastest speed.

When I first purchased my PS3 in February of 2008, I was able to download many game demos and they all installed just fine.

This error has only recently surfaced for me starting on 09/07/08. Nothing has changed at my house, and nothing (that I know of, as I have spoken to them)

has changed at my ISP. My ISP's web site/contact information is here -> http://www.nehalemtel.net

I am not sure how Sony has their game data download servers set up, but with my Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii I have never once had an issue with downloading and installing games.

Does Sony have an explination for this "80029564" install error? I have never received this error when installing BD based games, only games that have been downloaded.

Please respond with an explination, as I am tried of spending countless hours troubleshooting this. There is nothing wrong with my ISP, my PS3, or my home network

(I am a professional PC/Systems administrator for a major dairy company - please consider my knowledge in that I am not trying to cause a stir or make anything up).

I very much appreciate you taking the time to look over my situation. If possible, could this please be escalated to the highest possible tier (tech group) to look into this further?

I await your reply,

Thank you.

Message 1 of 38 (42,805 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4186 posts

"An Install Error Occurred During the Install Operation (80029564)."

Sep 21, 2008
Have you tried backing up your data and doing a full format of the hard disk? Beware, this will take quite a bit of time though (At least four hours total for backup + reformat)
Message 2 of 38 (42,805 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
39 posts

Re: "An Install Error Occurred During the Install...

Sep 21, 2008
Oops, that is one thing I forgot to put in the steps that I tried. Yes, I have tried that. I backed up all my data, did a complete format. I even tried downloading some of those games before I did a restore of my data. I have even created a brand new PSN account just to try (i still have my main one, so no worries for me there). Thanks for the input though, anything could help at this point.
Message 3 of 38 (42,805 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4186 posts

Sep 21, 2008

Hmm, maybe the hard disk can be defective on that part. Have you tried using another one to do a quick test (Download a demo and install it)

But now that I think of it, it doesn't really make any sense. Still, try another hard drive, computers generally work in mysterious ways

Message 4 of 38 (42,805 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
39 posts

Sep 21, 2008

Yes, I thought that maybe the hard drive was bad but I tried it on a different PS3 here at my house and it has done the same thing. Only on those particular games though; it is very strange indeed.

However, I last night I started the download of The Last Guy demo, Farcture demo, and Mercenaries 2 demo and the installed has failed on all three. BUT, I went ahead and downloaded The Last guy demo again, WITHOUT deleting the first one I downloaded. When the second one finished downloading I went to install that one, and it installed just fine! So maybe a tiny bit of the file is geting stripped off, but by downloading the same game again (and not deleting the old one) it "fixes" the missing game file(s) so that the install works? That might not be the case, but I am testing this theory on Fracture as I type this (the second download is going right now). I will post back and let you all know, thanks.

Message 5 of 38 (42,805 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
805 posts

Sep 21, 2008

Have you tried doing a hardware reset?  I once had an install error and with a system update and did a hardware reset and it worked beautifully. 

1.  Turn your PS3 off (standby mode).

2.  Flip the switch on the back.

3.  With your finger already on the front power button flip on the switch in the back and hold it down until you hear 2 beeps.

This will reset your hardware and possibly fix your problem.

Message 6 of 38 (42,805 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
39 posts

Sep 21, 2008

Yes, I have tried a hardware reset. In fact, when I did the reformat, I did the hardware reset first. Thanks for the input though, I do appreciate it.

Above all, I am doing this to hopefully stir up more people who have received this error, to contact (bug) Sony more about it. They need to fix it; not just for me but for everyone.

Message 7 of 38 (42,805 Views)
Fender Bender
4186 posts

Sep 21, 2008

Have you tried using a different internet connection with a different ISP to download your games? Maybe there is a problem with your ISP or the service they provide which causes unstability in the connection when downloading large files, thus ending up with corrupted data on the hard drive that cannot install properly. Downloading a second time would then fix this problem because the PS3 might overwrite the file with changes, and the odds of the micro-cut in connection happening at the same spot being minimal, that would theorethically 'fix' the corrupted data.

Of course, I know knothing of how this download and saving to the hard disk process works for the PS3, but still, do try a different internet connection with a different ISP.

Message 8 of 38 (42,805 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
39 posts

Sep 21, 2008

A very good point Darkdrium777 - I actually did try that as well, but only with Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty. I have a friend that lives about 20 - 25 miles from me with a completly different ISP (he has charter 10MB connection). It did download (much faster obviously, since my connection is only 1.5MB), and it installed just fine. So yes, at that point I thought it was my ISP or something to do with my internet at home. However, that doesn't explain why I can download a game like Civilation: Revolution (i think it is around 1.4GB) and it installs just fine every single time, but when I try The Last Guy demo, at only 211MB, it fails almost every single time, along with Fracture and MERCS 2, of which Fracture only clocks in at 800MB+

It could be because those games are so new, and the server(s) I connect to are still being slightly overloaded from other PS3's, that it is corrupting my download. I have no idea. Also, as well why can I download and install any game from Xbox live or the Ninteno Wii online services just fine and never have had any issues? So far this install error has only happened on the games I mentioned in the original post (4-5 games total). Very strange indeed.

Message 9 of 38 (42,805 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1583 posts

Sep 21, 2008
i get the same error. I just dont hit backround download. Also sometime it will allowme to backround download 1 item but as soon as I click another item and backround download it, it will give me the error. When did this error start happening for you. For me it was since the 2.40 update
Message 10 of 38 (42,805 Views)
0 Likes