Splicer
77 posts

Re: Why did PSN miss out on Super Meat Boy (and other indie titles)?

Oct 26, 2010

Another game I'd like to see come to PSN and would add to the PS3's lineup:

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

In a similar vein to the developer's previous games, Amnesia is an exploration-based adventure game played from a first-person perspective. The game retains the physical object interaction used in Penumbra, allowing for advanced physics based puzzles and interactions such as opening doors and fixing machinery.

Amnesia does not give the player access to weapons, giving them no defense against the gruesome creatures that wander Brennenburg Castle. Because of this, the player must use their wits to escape and hide from the monsters until they lose interest in finding them. Using the shadows to hide is recommended.

88/100 on Metacritic.

Described as "...the most successfully frightening game to have been made."

Message 21 of 32 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
295 posts

Oct 26, 2010

Mattsta001 wrote:

Another game I'd like to see come to PSN and would add to the PS3's lineup:

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

In a similar vein to the developer's previous games, Amnesia is an exploration-based adventure game played from a first-person perspective. The game retains the physical object interaction used in Penumbra, allowing for advanced physics based puzzles and interactions such as opening doors and fixing machinery.

Amnesia does not give the player access to weapons, giving them no defense against the gruesome creatures that wander Brennenburg Castle. Because of this, the player must use their wits to escape and hide from the monsters until they lose interest in finding them. Using the shadows to hide is recommended.

88/100 on Metacritic.

Described as "...the most successfully frightening game to have been made."

WOW.  That sounds amaaaazing.  Thank you for sharing.  

Photobucket
Message 22 of 32 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
40 posts

Oct 27, 2010

Super Meat Boy is a direct rip off of Domo Kun, why would you give the developers money for a rip off game?

Message 23 of 32 (37 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 6, 2010
If you read the Super Meat Boy (SMB) twitter, the dev team goes deeper on this topic:

http://twitter.com/supermeatboy

Cliff Notes
- They showed it to Sony
- Sony didn't care for it
- Microsoft did their research and signed them up, but told them this game cannot be on the PSN
- Wanting to put this on as many consoles as possible, they signed
- Sony wanted them ONLY AFTER they signed
- Oops on Sony too late!

Unless Sony shells out a lot of money to have Microsoft reverse their contract. SMB will not happen. I wonder how many times this happens with other indies dealing with the console platforms...
Message 24 of 32 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3699 posts

Nov 7, 2010
iirc, sony turned down the pitch for super meat boy because they didn't think it would sell. i bought it and i love it.

Message 25 of 32 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1994 posts

Nov 7, 2010

Yup. At the time, they were showing it to all 3 big publishers. Sony didn't show interest at the time. They signed a deal with MS and Nintendo. They have a completed version of it for the PS3, but they can't release it. :/

Message 26 of 32 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
77 posts

Nov 12, 2010

checkm-8 wrote:
If you read the Super Meat Boy (SMB) twitter, the dev team goes deeper on this topic:

http://twitter.com/supermeatboy

Cliff Notes
- They showed it to Sony
- Sony didn't care for it
- Microsoft did their research and signed them up, but told them this game cannot be on the PSN
- Wanting to put this on as many consoles as possible, they signed
- Sony wanted them ONLY AFTER they signed
- Oops on Sony too late!

Unless Sony shells out a lot of money to have Microsoft reverse their contract. SMB will not happen. I wonder how many times this happens with other indies dealing with the console platforms...

Wow. Someone at Sony really dropped the ball then and should be raked across the coals. Seems to me the people at Sony are not really aggressive enough at securing high quality indie games compared to the competition. There should be a couple of people on the PSN team scouring the Internet and contacting talented devs. I was hoping the minis initiative might show up some cool indie games but 95% of them are crap.

Message 27 of 32 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
77 posts

Nov 16, 2010

Another one Sony should snap up.

Miegakure, a puzzle platformer in the 4th dimension:

Miegakure

Message 28 of 32 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
205 posts

Nov 17, 2010

Super meat boy is awesome, Toy soldiers is awesome, Risk is awesome. I wish I could dump my other console but they do get better DL games.

Any multiplatform is a PS3 buy, but i havent seen a game for at least 3-4 months on PSn that sparked my interest. However I have spent 4000ms pts in the same amount of time.

Message 29 of 32 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2321 posts

Nov 17, 2010

I will just wait for LBP2 (the best platformer ever except super Mario bros) and play fan made SMB lvls there.

Photobucket
Message 30 of 32 (37 Views)
0 Likes