First Son
15 posts

Re: **PS1 PSN Downloads** Sony: "We Haven't Done Enough"

Jul 18, 2008
Man, I wish I had seen this thread sooner...I made a separate thread about the same issue, heh.
Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 41 (23 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Jul 18, 2008
Obviously, you don't.  But clearly people do want PS1 games.  This goes beyond graphics.
Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 41 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
200 posts

Jul 18, 2008

It would be great if they could get the older FF games on the such as FF VII,VIII,IX and the US ps store just got rayman today just to let you know

Message Edited by HIREHAZARD on 07-18-2008 02:35 AM
firehazard
Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 41 (23 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7845 posts

Jul 18, 2008
I'd just be happy if we got the same games on the PSN that Japan gets. Xenogears, anyone?
Photobucket
Currently Playing: Final Fantasy X HD, inFAMOUS: Second Son
Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 41 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4599 posts

Jul 18, 2008
The problem isn't that these games are not profitable in NA and Europe, it's that they are not realasing the games people want.  They have to stop with this notion of PSone "classic" meaning "any game that came out on PSone."  Because that doesn't cut it, work on the actual noteworthy classic games.  Release the right games, and make a profit.  Also, please, stop trying to make it sound like other people need to do your job for you, Sony.  We are not going to convince third parties to come to you with classic games for the PSN, securing content for the online store is your job, we don't work for you.  You work for us.  Rayman was a step in the right direction, but my gut tells me thats the last PSone game we'll see for the next month, if not two.
Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 41 (23 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8085 posts

Jul 18, 2008

Tenacious-G wrote:
The problem isn't that these games are not profitable in NA and Europe, it's that they are not realasing the games people want.  They have to stop with this notion of PSone "classic" meaning "any game that came out on PSone."  Because that doesn't cut it, work on the actual noteworthy classic games.  Release the right games, and make a profit.  Also, please, stop trying to make it sound like other people need to do your job for you, Sony.  We are not going to convince third parties to come to you with classic games for the PSN, securing content for the online store is your job, we don't work for youYou work for us.  Rayman was a step in the right direction, but my gut tells me thats the last PSone game we'll see for the next month, if not two.

I'd Kudo you If I could. Only pSone games that are worth it are Crash, Syphon FIlter, Castlevania SOTN, Rayman now, and Spyro. The rest are the types of games no one cares.

if they release MGS, Resident Evil 1 & 2, it would get downloaded like crazy here in America.  Gmaes like Cool Boarders, Rally Cross are the kind of games no one really cares about.

SONY stop releasing mostly crappy PSone games here in America. Just because its called Classics doesn't mean you have to put bad games. Classics must be good not bad.

And your right, its their job to convince 3rd party, not us.  

Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 41 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
333 posts

Jul 18, 2008

1UP: You had mentioned that Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty shows how Sony is exploring unique games for the PlayStation Network compared to the competition. One thing that you've also been doing on the PSN, though, is rereleasing original PlayStation games. I'm a fan of that. I like having an archive of older games to go back to, and I love having them available as downloads. But in the U.S., PS1 games have been coming a lot slower than in Japan. Is there any reason for that? Will we be getting a lot more at some point?

SR: We're always looking at our back catalog, and if consumers are asking for specific titles, we're going to take a look at them. There's no specific reason releases have been slower.

Link

So, the reason that Japan gets games like Xenogears and Metal Gear Solid and we don't is what again?  Seriously, Sony.  You know what games we'd all like to download.  Just make a safe assumption and make everything on the Japan store that has an english translation available on the US and European PS Stores.  There's simply no excuse not to.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 41 (23 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1132 posts

Jul 18, 2008

Well, there you go. Because SCEA doesn't see PS1 games as substantial revenue for the US (or other regions for that matter) then a respectable library is going to be a long time coming. I knew way back when after I emailed Capcom that it was on Sony's side to get the ball rolling with 3rd party publishers. They told me straight out that Sony needs to initiate an agreement in order to bring their games to our PSN. It doesn't make any sense that Capcom, Konami or other big name publishers would contact Sony to get 10+ year old games released on the network for $5.99 when they have bigger, more profitable games in development. What DOES make more sense is Sony's licensing dept. contacting these publishers to release these games for their network they're supposedly trying to improve. What's more ridiiculous is that this guy wants us to do their jobs for them. A couple months back on the PSN store weekly blog when every other post was ranting about the lack of PS1 games, one of the Sony reps (I won't mention any names) told us that it's on the part of 3rd parties to get classics on our PSN. When I came back stating I did just that and what they're response was, I got an "I'll follow up with the appropriate parties" like that ever happened. And they're ignorant if they think games like MGS, RE 1/2 and the countless RPGs for the PS1 wouldn't bring in a ton of revenue even at $6 a game. When Resident Evil came out on the network in Japan, it stayed in the top 10 download list for a year and a half. That's no joke. If Sony can't see that as viable revenue then they're blind. On the bright side, at least we get the answer most of us already expected was the reason: SCEA just wasn't willing to put in the effort and with a comment like his, they have no plans to. Because the main draw of the PSN for me has always been the potential of a strong PS1 library to have on my pro duo and has yet to see the light of day, I haven't felt the need to even log into the store and I don't think I will until they turn this aspect around. I don't consider it a boycott so much as they're not delivering what I mostly wanted from the network so why settle for the stuff that was secondary to me. I've been pretty loyal to Sony and the PS brand since I picked up my first PS1 and in all honesty, this is the first time they've let me down especially after all their initial talk of 98% of the PS1 library to be availabe and 8-10 games a month ready to download. Personally I don't think we're ever going to get  40 games let alone the 200 Japan has. The ESRB list has around 5-6 PS1 games slated for release on the netowrk and most of those have been on that list for several months. Yes, licensing takes time, but it doesn't take over 2 years to get Resident Evil on our netowrk, I don't care how much licensed music is in the game and anyone that's still buying that excuse is disillusioning themselves. Sorry for the lengthy rant here but this issue has become the proverbial thorn in my side.

Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 41 (23 Views)
Fender Bender
4047 posts

Jul 18, 2008

Cap*n Hands wrote:

Well, there you go. Because SCEA doesn't see PS1 games as substantial revenue for the US (or other regions for that matter) then a respectable library is going to be a long time coming. I knew way back when after I emailed Capcom that it was on Sony's side to get the ball rolling with 3rd party publishers. They told me straight out that Sony needs to initiate an agreement in order to bring their games to our PSN. It doesn't make any sense that Capcom, Konami or other big name publishers would contact Sony to get 10+ year old games released on the network for $5.99 when they have bigger, more profitable games in development. What DOES make more sense is Sony's licensing dept. contacting these publishers to release these games for their network they're supposedly trying to improve. What's more ridiiculous is that this guy wants us to do their jobs for them. A couple months back on the PSN store weekly blog when every other post was ranting about the lack of PS1 games, one of the Sony reps (I won't mention any names) told us that it's on the part of 3rd parties to get classics on our PSN. When I came back stating I did just that and what they're response was, I got an "I'll follow up with the appropriate parties" like that ever happened. And they're ignorant if they think games like MGS, RE 1/2 and the countless RPGs for the PS1 wouldn't bring in a ton of revenue even at $6 a game. When Resident Evil came out on the network in Japan, it stayed in the top 10 download list for a year and a half. That's no joke. If Sony can't see that as viable revenue then they're blind. On the bright side, at least we get the answer most of us already expected was the reason: SCEA just wasn't willing to put in the effort and with a comment like his, they have no plans to. Because the main draw of the PSN for me has always been the potential of a strong PS1 library to have on my pro duo and has yet to see the light of day, I haven't felt the need to even log into the store and I don't think I will until they turn this aspect around. I don't consider it a boycott so much as they're not delivering what I mostly wanted from the network so why settle for the stuff that was secondary to me. I've been pretty loyal to Sony and the PS brand since I picked up my first PS1 and in all honesty, this is the first time they've let me down especially after all their initial talk of 98% of the PS1 library to be availabe and 8-10 games a month ready to download. Personally I don't think we're ever going to get  40 games let alone the 200 Japan has. The ESRB list has around 5-6 PS1 games slated for release on the netowrk and most of those have been on that list for several months. Yes, licensing takes time, but it doesn't take over 2 years to get Resident Evil on our netowrk, I don't care how much licensed music is in the game and anyone that's still buying that excuse is disillusioning themselves. Sorry for the lengthy rant here but this issue has become the proverbial thorn in my side.

Thats interesting... really... TOO BAD I DIDNT READ YOUR WALL OF TEXT   :smileytongue:
vincej25
Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 41 (23 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1132 posts

Jul 18, 2008
I'm not about to justify myself to a troll but if this was seriously too much for you to get through then get that ADD under wraps then come talk to me.
Message Edited by Cap*n Hands on 07-18-2008 03:01 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 41 (23 Views)
0 Likes