Jul 28 2013
By: MetaLHavoc Hekseville Citizen 408 posts

Quirky Games?

5 replies 235 views Edited Jul 28, 2013

I am looking for some quirky, outside the box type games to play.  I always like playing games like the Katamari Damacy, Pixel Junk Monsters and an old PS1 game No One Can Stop Mr. Domino.  Does anyone know any other games like these that are not your typical FPS and Action games? 

Message 1 of 6 (235 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11406 posts

Re: Quirky Games?

Jul 28, 2013

I could probably think of a few oddball games out there. One that comes to mind is Datura on the PlayStation Network. The game has been on sale recently for a couple of bucks. The sale might be still going on for at least a couple of more days. Specifically, in this game you control a floating hand as you make your way through a forest and come across different people and puzzles you can interact with along the way. I haven't played the game myself, but it's said to be a strange one.

Another peculiar fix might be that of Quantum Conundrum. Much like the Portal series (which itself is somewhat unusual), this game gives you a scientific weapon of sorts to complete a series of conundrums involving weight. You can make the cubes light as a fluffy pillow or as heavy as a barrel full of bricks.

There are various other games that may appear to you as out of sorts, but then again maybe they're too "normal" for your tastes. Other games I think of off the top of my head consist of everything from Papo and Yo (a platformer where you must guide a rhinoceros to the end goal), From Dust (a God game where you shape the environment to get the people to safety), and The Unfinished Swan (another platform/puzzling game where you'll use your paintbrush powers to make your way through the levels).

Message 2 of 6 (230 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
408 posts

Jul 28, 2013

Thanks for the suggestions, I will have to check them out.  The only one I have heard of out of those is Unfinished Swan.     

Message 3 of 6 (224 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3979 posts

Jul 29, 2013
I would highly recommend checking out the indie games section in the Playstation store. If you browse that section, you're sure to find something that catches your interest. Gray has already made some great suggestions, and there are more quirky games on their way, like Ibb and Obb. If you don't mind playing something older, Flower is an experience I think any gamer should have. Fat Princess is another great online multiplayer classic. For a more recent title, I would recommend Tokyo Jungle, which is a post-apocalyptic survival sim, but with a twist. Basically, all humans are dead, and you play as one of various animals, and do your best to survive for as long as possible. It kind of has a bit of an arcade feel too it, because you rack up a score, and try to survive longer each time. It's got good action, because carnivores have to chase and kill prey, and may get into fights with other animals, while herbivores run for their lives when a carnivore spots them. There's stealth and strategy involved, because you try not to get spotted by predators, unless you are one, and even if you are, you ought to avoid bigger predators. You can stealth kill other animals too, which is considerably easier than chasing them, or being chased. In all due honesty, I would recommend just investing in The Best of Playstation Network Vol. 1. That's a great way to acquire some quirky psn titles, and you can have them on a disc.
Message 4 of 6 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
229 posts

Aug 11, 2013

Just to repeat what tross88 said really - the PSN is the place to look for quirky or innovative games. Limbo and Braid are some more examples of games with both original ideas and great gameplay.

As far as full price games go, have you played the recent Xcom game? It's an excellent turn based strategy game and there arn't many of those being made these days! Ther's also nothing else quite like the puzzle game Portal 2 and it's one of the best games this gen.

Message 5 of 6 (201 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11903 posts

Aug 11, 2013

I would suggest Catherine but I don't really know what you are looking for in a video game. Check it out in your spare time.

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison | Twitch: Sweet13Poison

Message 6 of 6 (199 Views)
0 Likes