Lombax Warrior
195 posts

Re: PS3 turn-based game suggestion: "DAISENRYAKU PERFECT HD" in English (Pictures Included!)

Mar 24, 2011

Yea and this is, of course, why infantry will ways be an invaluable factor.... to add to your question, I wonder if infantry will be able to "morph" into a defenseless transport unit for more high mobility. (My seem pointless but if gets you in and out of sticky situations)

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/9057/534989-gggd.jpg

Message 40 of 1,206 (446 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
611 posts

Re: PS3 turn-based game suggestion: "DAISENRYAKU PERFECT HD" in English (Pictures Included!)

Mar 24, 2011

Ahh, that Iron Storm box brings back great memories.  Working Designs was THE hardcore gamer's best friend during the 1990s and early 2000s before Final Fantasy VII "mainstreamed" RPGs; up to then there were many great franchises in Japan that never saw the light of day in the West.  WD changed all of that, bringing over genuine classics that Sega, GameArts, and others simply didn't have the confidence to localize for themselves.  We got Lunar: The Silver Star and Lunar: Eternal Blue for the Sega CD (as well as their improved PS1 iterations later on), the awesome and amazing Dragon Force, Iron Storm, Magic Knight RayEarth, and Albert Odyssey for the Saturn, and Alundra, Arc the Lad, RayStorm, and ThunderForce V for the PS1, among others.  They were one of, if not THE first, companies to include things like deluxe versions and packaging (which back then were almost exclusively a Japanese thing), and the full-color manuals were head and shoulders above the quality of most others out there.  Their CEO Victor Ireland was considered a maverick by his peers in the videogame industry, but he was adored by fans.  Were it not for their taking the chance on genres the American games industry largely ignored or had passed by in favor of stuff that catered to new (at the time) tech like 3D environments and polygons, I believe the entire landscape of the videogame market and its history in America would be unrecognizable today.  Many a gamer owes countless hours of enjoyment and fond memories to Working Designs, who always included a phrase you'd almost never hear from the giant development houses today in the back of their game manuals: "We're nothing without you!"

Sadly, over time games from the genre that Working Designs primarily depended on for its livelihood and relevance (RPGs) were snapped up by other, bigger localization devs who suddenly saw RPGs as relevant after the blockbuster breakout of Final Fantsay VII.  A falling-out with Sega, who had been one of their primary partners on translation projects, didn't help either.  Working Designs soon had to close its doors, and since then Victor Ireland, if I remember correctly, went on to found Gaijin Games, though so far that company has never come close to having the influence and fantastic games which WD brought to us.

Thanks for the memories, Working Designs!!!  Without you there may have never been a US Daisenryaku!

M109A6 パラディン

DAISENRYAKU PERFECT HD Suggestion Thread and Information Page:

http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/3416427

Come by and visit and add your voice of support to bring this awesome strategy title to North America!!!
Message 41 of 1,206 (446 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
611 posts

Mar 24, 2011

@ Desert_Archer,

To answer your question regarding the "morphing" infantry units (which were how Iron Storm handled simulating their movements), in more recent installments of the Daisenryaku series (particularly the DSPs) you MUST build infantry AND whatever you wish to transport them with.  Not as convenient, but it IS more realistic (the same goes for the facility-capturing copters and vehicles from DS VII).

F-22ラプター

Come by and visit and add your voice of support to bring this awesome strategy title to North America!!!
Message 42 of 1,206 (446 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
195 posts

Mar 24, 2011

"...Not as convenient, but it IS more realistic (the same goes for the facility-capturing copters and vehicles from DS VII)."

I whole-heartedly agree, which is why I'm so excited about the continuation of the series and its dive further into simulated "reality".

I do however have to point out something that I would like to see; it should take infantry more than move>capture>end.... there should be a much higher duration involved. Consider this, you move your INF onto an opposing City/Factory, instead of instant capture it takes X turns (maybe depending on the number of units # / 10, and or the type of INF).... taking a few cues from the Advance Wars series but it would add some extra strategic decisiveness. (i.e. "better keep them safe while they're capturing it!")

Message 43 of 1,206 (446 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
195 posts

Mar 24, 2011

Taking a look at the many terrain types; is there any info on the ダム  dam? I'm wondering if you can bomb/break it and if will alter the map by shifting in new water hexes or something (as a dam normally would)......

Message 44 of 1,206 (446 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
611 posts

Mar 24, 2011

@ Desert_Archer,

You said, "I do however have to point out something that I would like to see; it should take infantry more than move>capture>end.... there should be a much higher duration involved."

That is one of the many Rules which can be selected in the Rules Editor; all of the things you can do to change play mechanics (including enabling instant capture or requiring multiple turns to fully claim a facility) are listed there.

To your question in Post # 45, due to the extra learning curve involved with having to navigate Japanese-language menus in DSP 3.0, I never got around to learning how dams, forts, temporary bases, research facilities, and other new-to-the-series holdings function (though radar bases do give you several hexes of line of sight around them).  My suspicion is that some of these may really only have applicable uses in Strategic Mode, but until we can find out for certain that is undetermined.

F-2

Message 45 of 1,206 (446 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
44 posts

Mar 24, 2011

I recevied word of this thread through gamespot I would like to voice my support towards this cause and hopefully become a frequent poser on this thread! It would be absolutetely wonderful of any publisher decided to localize this game, and with enough will I think we can do it.

So it's nice to meet you all.

Message 46 of 1,206 (446 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Mar 24, 2011

I definitely keep my eyes open for any news of this game. It looks really good.

Message 47 of 1,206 (446 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
989 posts

Mar 24, 2011

yea you do that Im'm gonna keep my eyes open for the female general, if shes a main character Im buying 2 of these.

I'm no troll, I just dont like you.
Message 48 of 1,206 (446 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
611 posts

Mar 24, 2011

To Drestro2, JusticeForNone, and DEMOCRAC-Y,

We're very glad to see you and hope you'll remain a regular part of our growing community here.  Great to see you!  The same goes for any other new faces who may come along.  Welcome!

こんごう

Message 49 of 1,206 (446 Views)
0 Likes