Monster Hunter
35 posts

Re: PS3 turn-based game suggestion: "DAISENRYAKU PERFECT HD" in English (Pictures Included

May 6, 2013

Well, it has been awhile since I last posted on here, despite talking to Atlantean somewhat regularly outside of these forums. I've still been lurking, but of course with a new addition to my family, the time leading up to, and of course the arrival of has consumed a lot of my time.

With that said, I have been keeping an eye out for some news, as well as keeping an eye on strategy titles that stay true to the roots. While my opinions are my own, while there has been a large "dumbing down" of strategy titles as of late, there also have been some worthy titles out there. I have been working on getting some reviews together of various strategy titles, and plan to get them on a public site.

Now, you might be asking yourself, why review strategy titles? Why review old games, as well as new, and future ones? Well, frankly I find many review sites not true to the genre, and if they do not fit "mainstream" the game is relegated to crap reviews. For example, Dai Senryaku VII: Modern Military Tactics (Xbox version) was given a mere 7 because it was not "modern" and "flashy". I don't know about you, but I come from an age of strategy gaming that some NATO markings on a carboard "**bleep**" was more than adequate, provided the mechanics were worthy.

So, I plan to release a true strategy gamer's review, more akin to what you'd get from a local tabletop wargaming club's word of mouth, than your standard "ZOMG IT HAZ EXPLOSIONS AND TANKS" or "Game is too hard and unbalanced. 300 riflemen with no cover or experience should kill a bunker with 2 elite .50 cal machine gunners on a cliffside."

It is a side project, but expect to see reviews on strategy games that I think further the wargaming strategy genre. I will also only be reviewing titles that I would want to own, so no demos, free copies, or the like either. I feel that having invested your own money into the game also gives a little more weight. If a game has flaws, but was worth the money spent, is far more valuable of an opinion than a free game that you could care less about.

Anyhow, the purpose of the review project is to also hopefully bring in more interest here, and in Dai Senryaku as a viable title that is welcomed here. The community for these kinds of games is alive and well, and seeing a few successful projects for Turn Based Strategy games on Kickstarter also shows there is also a willingness to shell out money for them as well.

Hint hint. :smileywink:

"The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion." - Proverbs 28:1
Please use plain text.
Message 1141 of 1,206 (468 Views)
Wastelander
610 posts

Re: PS3 turn-based game suggestion: "DAISENRYAKU PERFECT HD" in English (Pictures Included

May 6, 2013

Thanks so much for the update, Leatherneck2382; it's awesome to hear from you again!  Looking forward to your upcoming reviews!

And if anyone else here would like to offer some Strategy game reviews or insights, please feel welcome to do so.  Until we can get some new DSP HD info to discuss, anything is far better than nothing.  And along the way some of us may learn of a great game we haven't tried yet!

Tank.gif

DAISENRYAKU PERFECT HD Suggestion Thread and Information Page:

http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/3416427

Come by and visit and add your voice of support to bring this awesome strategy title to North America!!!
Please use plain text.
Message 1142 of 1,206 (463 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
610 posts

May 10, 2013

DSP HD UPDATE:  Postponed until Summer 2013

Well everyone, I wish I had better news to report here...I really, really do.  Sadly, there is absolutely nothing we can do about this until SystemSoft gets off their butts and decide to get the game finished.

I realize what a devastating blow the last delay announcement was, and I have no self-delusions that this one could effectively kill this thread.  We've been suffocated by lack of interest...certainly not our own, but a lack of interest on the part of the developer who announced this game and got all our hopes up more than 2 years ago.

I plan to stay here and keep updating for as long as possible, and in the meantime I've already been approaching localization developers regarding other possible options.  Please keep an eye on this thread even if you're just lurking; I'll immediately share anything and everything I can as it happens.

Thanks again for the wonderful support and sense of community all of you have shown.

Paladin.gif

Come by and visit and add your voice of support to bring this awesome strategy title to North America!!!
Please use plain text.
Message 1143 of 1,206 (412 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
34 posts

[ Edited ]
May 14, 2013

Well… summer is basically around the corner so this shouldn’t be a real problem (trying to stay positive!).

The problem is that I see SySo releasing a swarm of stupid anime games… and mostly web based game.

Again, to me look like SySo is trying to get to some cash… fast!

I can still wait but at this point I’m expecting Daisen to be a TOP game and no excuse… of any type!

:smileyfrustrated:

Please use plain text.
Message 1144 of 1,206 (348 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
610 posts

May 14, 2013

Agreed, Folgore88; the wait has been excruciating, and it's increasingly difficult to buy the "to improve the quality of the product" line when it seems there's a new anime-looking title announced on SystemSoft's site practically every week.  At some point you have to ask just how invested and interested SSA is in their own franchise property (Daisenryaku); I don't know how popular those other games are in Japan but Daisenryaku is the only franchise I'm aware of that's ever been localized that came from them.

It'd be awesome if a developer would make the effort to create an equivalent TBS series for the Western market (although after so many years making Daisenryaku nobody has the formula down like SystemSoft).  I know I'd support it and that probably everyone else here would as well.

Thanks so much for your post and for sticking around by the way, Folgore88.  I confess that this community's dedication is what has kept me able to continue going at times.  I'll keep you guys posted as soon as I hear anything.

Tank.gif

Please use plain text.
Message 1145 of 1,206 (343 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
34 posts

[ Edited ]
May 15, 2013

No problem and keep this up!

To me Daisen is like chocolate, you can't get enough! In effect I have a PSP dedicated to Daisen!! :smileyvery-happy:

I wonder if SySo is going to release a Daisen for the Vita... but first the PS3 version thank you!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Message 1146 of 1,206 (331 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

May 21, 2013
The only TBS with PBEM that I have played which can be comparable to Daisenryaku in terms of depth is WinSPMBT and WinSPWWII. They are based on the Steel Panthers series of wargames but lack battle animation scenes in daisenryaku. Unlike Daisenryaku, they are centered towards ground units so the player has limited control over aircraft and it is little to none naval units. One thing though, the base game is free but it is available for sale if users want manuals and better graphics.
Please use plain text.
Message 1147 of 1,206 (275 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
610 posts

[ Edited ]
May 22, 2013

THOUGHTS ON THE NEXT-GENERATION CONSOLES

With Microsoft's reveal of the XBox One yesterday, all three next-generation consoles have now seen significant exposure regarding their design, their games, and other vital information to the public.  So reading between the lines, which consoles (if any) might have something this generation to offer the gaming hobbyist who's still interested in Strategy and other non-"AAA" genres?

Okay, now that the rumors have dissipated and official announcements have been made...

1) Seriously, what's new?  Look over the list of announced games for Sony and especially Microsoft. Almost all of them are sequels to existing, annually regurgitated franchises that badly need a four or five-year respite to actually remain relevant and fresh. What's left are mostly FPS or 3rd-person hack n' slashers. While I'm sure that Destiny, the next Halo, Forza 5, Killzone, and so on will all be of high quality, there's nothing here that gamers won't have experienced to some degree (in most cases to a WAY oversaturated degree) in the current generation. And every one of the revealed Microsoft exclusives are sequels and/or known quantities; most of the list is multiplatform. Where are titles by smaller companies? Where are any JRPG, SRPG, Strategy, Schmups, or other non-"AAA" genres that still appeal to longtime hobbyists like us?

2) The business models are badly and perhaps fatally flawed. While it may not be Always Online after all (which definitely would have sealed its inevitable doom...but there is still some ambiguity as supposedly the XBox One DOES require being connected at least once per day), there are still plenty of reasons for concern. Marketing the Xbox One as an "all-in-one entertainment solution" as opposed to a GAME SYSTEM is the same mistake both Microsoft and Sony made last generation, and Microsoft glaringly put games far down the priority list as far as the topics they discussed in their reveal. Requiring Kinect means they're going to be designing games largely around a control scheme gimmick instead of giving developers freedom to simply make great games as the PRIMARY consideration (ask any Wii owner how that worked out beyond first-party and a handful of other games).

If indeed the system does require hard drive installation for all games (meaning in essence everything's digital), not only does this explain why the Xbox One isn't backwards-compatible; it means that you'll never really "own" or fully control anything you purchase beyond either the life of your hard drive or the time Microsoft decides to kill the servers. And when the inevitable next Xbox comes along, what will happen to your investment, hmm?  The same goes for the PS4 or any console that adopts a digital-only approach, and that's exactly where the industry is pushing toward.

This is precisely why EA's Senior Engineer Bob Summerwill hated on the Wii U a few days ago, because Microsoft (and Sony) share EA's vision of a future where the developer controls the software and the gamer even after the point of sale. It's what online capability was drawn up for all along, and now we're here. I recall Mr. Summerwill tweeting something to the effect of "Nintendo's still operating as if it's the 1990s". Personally, given the choice I'd choose an offline, physical disc-based business model in an instant over the "future" these mega-corporations have in store for consumers. EA fell out with Nintendo because they couldn't have the control they wanted on the Wii U. End of story.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I won't be buying an Xbox One. Microsoft isn't making a console for the gaming enthusiast; they're making a control mechanism aimed at siphoning as many streams of revenue as possible from consumers while offering them ever-diminishing returns. The REAL marketing here was pitched toward the likes of EA, Activision, and other mega-publishers of similar mind. And the releases for the console and how they function will bear this out over time.

Sony would appear to be a better candidate as far as A) the most powerful console and B) the overall best potential game variety, but then again all the games revealed so far for the PS4 seem targeted at the "AAA"/eye candy crowd and not to hobbyists who still appreciate a well-rounded selection of gametypes to choose from.  Just look at how long it's been since we had a truly great Strategy game (R.U.S.E.) on the PS3; already it appears that trend will continue, and until that changes I won't be investing in a PS4.  It ALWAYS comes down to the GAMES, and if you fail to offer what a given gamer wants, they'll move on.

Although this goes against most media discussions and opinions you'll read or watch right now, the Wii U may actually be the safest bet of the three...and yes, that's still far from decided.  Aside from several "AAA" third-party titles that were already on other current-gen platforms, up till now the Wii U's "Must Have" list amounts to Super Mario Bros. U.  That's an awful waste of an opportunity to get a leg up on their competition, but with Pikmin 3, two Zeldas (including an HD remake of Wind Waker), a new Smash Bros. title, a new Mario Kart, and other typically top-quality franchises headed to retail by the end of 2013, things could finally get going.  But the biggest and potentially farthest-reaching news is the recent announcement that Nintendo is publishing the next Sonic the Hedgehog game as part of an ongoing "partnership" with Sega.  The two former rivals have collaborated on many projects over recent years, but if this "partnership" goes beyond just Sonic, the potential here is truly game-changing for the entire industry.  The addition of Sega's enormous back-catalog alone (Phantasy Star, Shinobi, Golden Axe, Shining Force, Valkyria Chronicles, Dragon Force, Panzer Dragoon, Sonic, Out Run, Hang On, Daytona USA, Skies of Arcadia...and on and on and on...) gives the longtime hobbyist hope that we may see more entries in legendary franchises for the first time in years or even decades.

It's no secret that there's been a schism between Japanese and Western games, from design and marketing philosophies to genre representation, and it has spilled over in recent years into public view as fewer Japanese developers bother to attend E3 any longer.  A Nintendo/Sega alliance would almost inevitably draw in other Japanese developers to support the Wii U (keep in mind that while the other console makers make games, Nintendo is the last true fully dedicated videogame company who makes consoles).  If the likes of Capcom, Tecmo, Konami, Square, and others (like SystemSoft Alpha...don't forget that Sega co-published several Daisenryaku titles in Japan including Iron Storm and Advanced War 2001) begin throwing support behind the Wii U, we could very well see a stark contrast between the types of games offered by Sony and Microsoft from those offered for Nintendo's system; each would literally target an entirely different definition of the term "gamer".

For now though, most of this is speculation, though I do believe there's reason for optimism for our community and "niche" gamers in general if the Wii U scenario I mentioned comes to pass.  Currently I'm finding myself coming back to Steam more and more because the genre variety is there, but I'll always keep a close eye on consoles in the hope that someday the industry will remember those of us who truly helped get it to where it is today.

Sub.gif

Please use plain text.
Message 1148 of 1,206 (253 Views)
Splicer
34 posts

[ Edited ]
May 22, 2013

I won't buy a Xbox One or a PS4... I think I'm done with consoles!

I can care less if my "box" can stream video and music... I care about games!!!!

And gaming wise, I agree with you... nothing new... same old shooters and crap like it! There is no variety!

Lately I've been revamping my old collection of PC games and I barely touch my PS3 anymore!

And when I don't use the PC, I play with my PSP and Vita! Gaming on the go!

Please use plain text.
Message 1149 of 1,206 (247 Views)
Wastelander
610 posts

May 28, 2013

WWII-Era Daisenryaku Just Around the Corner!!?

I just read an announcement at SystemSoft Alpha's website stating the following:

PS3 version "two successful strategy to large Seri Greater East Asia rise and fall history - Tora Tora captivity...was mastered up!

While I've never heard the term "mastered up" before (please keep in mind this was English-translated by Google Translate so there is a margin for error), the greatest likelihood is that the meaning is the equivalent of saying the game has "gone gold".  With that in mind, it appears that the "June 2013" release window for the WWII-era Daisenryaku title may indeed see it happen.

Obviously this is exciting news, because at this point we'll take ANYTHING positive we can get.  I'll be sure to keep you posted here as soon as I learn of any new developments, and when I get my pre-order of the Limited Edition in my plan is to try to get some screen captures and hopefully some gameplay videos up along with detailed observations.  So definitely stay tuned!

As for DSP HD, I guess now we wait to see the words "Mastered Up!" next to its status at SystemSoft's site.  Once that happens, at least we'll know this seemingly endless wait to learn its fate here will finally be close...one way or the other.

Thanks for hanging in there!  Till next time...

Tico.gif

Please use plain text.
Message 1150 of 1,206 (208 Views)