Wastelander
610 posts

Re: PS3 turn-based game suggestion: "DAISENRYAKU PERFECT HD" in English (Pictures Included!)

Jun 14, 2012

As far as desert/sand areas, I haven't yet played enough on them to give you an answer, Neoprime666.  In DS VII there really doesn't seem to be any real difference between Plains and Desert (assuming Desert is interpreted in this case as sun-baked, hardened soil and sand that doesn't compromise traction).  However, in addition to these there are now terrain types such as Dunes, which I'm sure WOULD slow most vehicles and infantry considerably.  And Jungle...FORGET ABOUT taking tanks and vehicles into it unless you have/make a road to do so.  Of all the non-Peak/Mountain type terrain in the game, Jungle is by far the most restrictive I've seen so far (and just as it should be, I'd say).

Ticonderoga.gif

DAISENRYAKU PERFECT HD Suggestion Thread and Information Page:

http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/3416427

Come by and visit and add your voice of support to bring this awesome strategy title to North America!!!
Please use plain text.
Message 831 of 1,206 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
610 posts

Re: PS3 turn-based game suggestion: "DAISENRYAKU PERFECT HD" in English (Pictures Included!)

Jun 14, 2012

Just a quick word of encouragement as I know we've had to come up with our own topics a lot lately.  Over the past two days I've had posts by two different people saying they'd love to support a localization for DSP 3.0 because they saw the videos on my YouTube channel.  Of course I recommended that they come here to add their voices of support to the community.

What I continue to be amazed more and more by is how many people are out there, both familiar or totally new to the Daisenryaku series, who through some source linked to this community have heard about our localization efforts and are voicing genuine interest.  The biggest single thing I've heard from developers I've corresponded with as to why DSP HD hasn't yet been picked up is that they simply aren't certain if and how much such a project will be able to A) attract paying gamers and hence B) turn a profit.  Obviously both are legitimate concerns for any company, especially in this awful economy.  But the simple fact that we're now more than a year in here on the thread and you guys are still showing such contagious enthusiasm, combined with the fact that new gamers from all over are still learning about DSP HD and DSP 3.0 and are expressing a desire to bring it here, at the VERY least should greatly ease any fears that bringing this game to the West might prove unprofitable.  And my (STRONG) suspicion is, if and when we do get these games and everyone gets to try head-to-head multiplayer against human opponents for the first time, word of mouth alone may very well ensure not only the future of the Daisenryaku series in the West but perhaps even turn the idea of what genres can work for console multiplayer on its head.  Turn-based strategy, the next big console multiplayer arena?  Believe it (and after playing multiplayer Daisenryaku, you WILL).

After this year's disappointing E3 especially, a lot of folks are looking for something new and truly different.  Some of them are seeing footage of or reading about these games, and their interest is getting seriously piqued.  Yeah, lots of games let you drive different military vehicles or shoot a wide range of weapons, and that works within its own context, but NONE offer the sheer smorgasboard of options (22 nations and 600 default units for DSP HD and 48 nations and 1,400 units for DSP 3.0, not counting the Editors in each version) for armchair generals that Daisenryaku does.  Folks are taking notice, and if these games get released here the entire INDUSTRY is going to be taking notice, mark my word.  How beautifully ironic would it be if what began as an awareness campaign to bring a single "niche" turn-based military sim to our shores actually ended up doing more than that?  What if it actually helps to save a videogame industry at large that has increasingly forgotten the formula that got it here (a focus purely on GAMES and a wide variety of genres as well as risk-taking and creativity)?

If it does, we'll all have been a part of making it happen to at least a small degree.  And that will make savoring that event even sweeter.

Hang in there and keep up the good fight, everyone!  And thanks again for all your awesome support.  It IS working!

Abrams.gif

Come by and visit and add your voice of support to bring this awesome strategy title to North America!!!
Please use plain text.
Message 832 of 1,206 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
610 posts

Jun 15, 2012

Would you purchase a WiiU if there was a Daisenryaku title in its library?  How the WiiU's second screen could revolutionize turn-based multiplayer games

I realize this is a Sony forum and they've been very gracious to allow this community to thrive and discuss Daisenryaku not only in reference to a possible PlayStation 3 version of DSP HD, but also examples of this great series from platforms both past and present, from the Genesis to the modern PC.  I wish to thank them sincerely for that; they've given a disjointed fanbase that had no place to voice their support for the Daisenryaku series and possible localizations (heck, many of us wondered if there WAS a fanbase besides just us, myself included), and the results speak for themselves.

To that end I'm in no way trying to disrespect Sony by bringing up this topic: whether a competitor's upcoming console could bring something truly new to the Daisenryaku series and to turn-based strategy gaming as a whole.  But please keep in mind that the WiiU's second, controller-based screen was emulated with varying success by both Microsoft (SmartGlass) and Sony (mobile devices and Vita); such a potential future Daisenryaku project could indeed end up coming to ALL the consoles.

As anyone knows who read my E3 reviews earlier, I wasn't overly impressed with Nintendo's presentation.  Some nice games, but nothing that screams "Buy me on Day One", at least to me personally.  And that second screen has had me wondering; is it really useful or just a gimmick that only first-party Nintendo titles will be able to make the most of?

But an idea hit me as I thought of the last match my friends and I played of DS VII.  Since everyone's in the same room watching the same screen, we play it kind of like a boardgame.  We all see each other's moves and so truly tactically outsmarting an opponent happens much less often than a match being decided by someone's funds reaching a critical level.  Whenever we've tried "blind" matches where everyone else leaves the room during a player's turn, everyone finds themselves being much more cautious and placing a lot more thought into unit placement and reconnaissance.  Unfortunately, this has proven to be an unwieldy way to play and comes at the cost of that wonderful comraderie and friendly trash talk that really MAKE this game, since everyone's not in the room together.

Now consider the possibilities if SystemSoft Alpha began developing a new DSP HD version (or even an entirely new Daisenryaku game) for WiiU.  Not only would it be online-enabled, but what that second screen would do for local multiplayer has me more excited than anything.  The player whose turn it is (conceivably up to 8 players as in DSP HD and DSP 3.0, and given the properties the controller offers, perhaps even more!) would have the controller, executing their moves across the map while looking at the map on the controller screen.  The other players would be unable to see the map, however, only the battle cinematics and any information that would commonly be visible from everyone's current line of sight.  When his/her turn was over, the player would press a button ending their turn, turning the controller screen black (similarly to how DS VII has the flag animations between player turns) and hiding their units' positions from the next player in line.  With agreed-upon move limits per turn for each player (say 10 to 20 moves per turn), the match could progress swiftly and keep everyone fully engaged; it could also potentially allow for truly epic-sized matches and armies without bogging things down in hour-long turns.

It could definitely happen (and would be far more likely if DSP HD and/or DSP 3.0 is brought here and does well), and it would make for a trend-setting, cerebral party game that'd go deep into the night wherever it's played.  Even so, such a possibility is very likely still at least a few years away, but other ones exist that could expedite that in their own way.  Just imagine an Advance Wars title that employs the features I mentioned above; it would turn that series into one of Nintendo's core juggernaut franchises overnight.  Since the current nature of the videogame industry is to copy or emulate what's been successful recently to an often unhealthy degree, not only SystemSoft but many other companies would be likely to try their hand with the same formula.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.  Obviously they haven't happened yet, but such an announcement would go very far in changing my current apathy toward the WiiU.  So what do you guys think?  Would a Daisenryaku, Advance Wars, or other AAA turn-based strategy game handled in this manner be a console-seller for you?  Any thoughts to add on what a second screen might bring to the table?  The floor is open as always!

F-2.gif

Please use plain text.
Message 833 of 1,206 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
35 posts

Jun 15, 2012

Off Topic First

I personally do think I will go for a WiiU on Day 1 unless they do not release the black one at launch, which I think would be foolhardy. My wife was certainly interested in it, and at least 2 games got my attention, even if one is kind of "kiddie" (Lego City Undercover and ZombieU).

While the presentation was lackluster, I tend to prefer Nintendo's cryptic style compared to the sometimes "over the top" style that you normally see out of Sony and Microsoft. While the Wii certainly is not my usual cup of tea, I see a lot of potential in the WiiU. With backwards compatability with Wii titles, as well as the Virtual Console, it is almost what I expected to see from the Wii. The fact that Sony and Microsoft are playing "me too" sooner (considering the huge delay before motion control was on all 3) speaks volumes too. This also implies we might see more games following a dual screen support if Nintendo pulls this off as well as I think they will.

I base my predictions also off the fact that Nintendo has exponentially more experience with dual screen gaming going as far back as the Gamecube, for those that managed to have the Gameboy Advance Dock, followed by the DS, and the 3DS. While there have been some mistakes, and sometimes lack of support from 3rd parties, I think the WiiU will be much different. There is already 3rd party games from the get go, from Rocksteady and TT Games (the 2 I can think of off the top of my head). If they can get even more 3rd party games, Nintendo will be in a good position.

On Topic

With DaiSen being on so many platforms, it is strange we do not see a PC port given lots of Turn Based Strategy gamers cling to PCs for their fix. With Steam, I can see even more sales on a localization.

The dual screen on the WiiU however, I can see a ton of potential for Turn Based Strategy games in general. Think Madden playbook, with the big screen carrying on the action. Essentially, you could make your moves on the smaller screen, keeping fog of war, with possibly even simultaneous turns, and then seeing the war play out on the big screen. The big screen being like a satellite view, or maybe cinematic shots of units, or stats during turns. Hit end turn, and it zooms in much like the pop up battle cinematics, and you get a battle in fantastic HD glory.

With all turns playing out at once, you might know the outcome, but onlookers could see it all play out. Or, even better is everyone takes their turns, and then it is up to the engine to do the battles, opening up ambushes/intercepts/etc.

So really, I can see the WiiU bringing back turn based strategy gaming with a vengeance. Additionally, I could even see RTS games playing out incredibly well. Even if the gamepad is not super powerful, there is a lot that can be done with that second screen, but from what I have seen out of ZombieU and Luigi's Mansion, it should be more than sufficient to give strategy fans a plethora of games.

"The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion." - Proverbs 28:1
Please use plain text.
Message 834 of 1,206 (204 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Jun 15, 2012

I probably would get a Wii-U if it had Daisenryaku on it.However, the price is what is worrying to me. I'm not sure if they can sell a brand new console at a price that is reasonable to consumers, especially considering the Xbox 360 and PS3 prices will probably be lowered in response to it. I think what I will do is wait and see how it does.

Please use plain text.
Message 835 of 1,206 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
35 posts

Jun 15, 2012

Keep in mind the WiiU Specs are better than current generation consoles, but not significantly better. Like I said before, this is what I feel the Wii should have been. With specs not blowing away current generation consoles, the hardware should not cost that much more than what is out there. While the new controller will cost more, Nintendo said that they will not sell the console at a loss, but that customers would be pleasantly surprised about the price

As far as a console price drop from Sony and Microsoft in response to the WiiU launch, I do not see it as plausible, nor really a competitive move. Now, with the "me too" mentality that is already here, adding any "tablet" controllers to current generation consoles would bring prices back in line with what I would expect the WiiU price range to fall within.

Consumers should recognize the new controller will cost money, and not expect the WiiU to be as cheap as the current generation consoles either. While I am most likely going to get the WiiU on day one, I am not really in the Nintendo camp as a loyalist, but I like what I see so far. At the very least I end up with an expensive Wii and more.

I just do not not see Sony and Microsoft really stepping up here, which part of me wants them to not to, and instead of copying Nintendo, they do their own thing to make themselves stand out.

"The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion." - Proverbs 28:1
Please use plain text.
Message 836 of 1,206 (204 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Jun 17, 2012

I'm not sold on the WiiU yet, but a console Daisenryaku game taking advantage of the controller screen (even to just to take screen-looking cheaters out of the equation) would be the tipping point for me. But, you know, the system isn't even out yet, nor is the DSP game for the current gen systems, so we'd be getting ahead of ourselves with such speculations.

Anyway, in a desperate attempt to get the thread away from tedious and completely OT discussions of console pricing/marketing/whatever, I just finished making 20 new units for DSP3.0. Here are just a few of them:

Type 99A2 MBT - main battle tank; China. The latest and greatest of the PLA's high-end tanks, but still less expensive than Western equivalents.

Type99A2preview.png

SPYDER - mobile SAM; Israel. Can be equipped with either Python or Derby SAMs for great flexibility.

SpyderPreview.png

S-300V (SA-12 Gladiator) - SAM; Russia. A variant of the SA-10 mounted on a large tracked launcher; emphasis on missile defense.

S-300Vpreview.png

Incheon class - frigate; South Korea. A modern design and the only frigate armed with land attack cruise missiles.

IncheonPreview.png

The editor is actually fairly to easy to use (language barriers notwithstanding). I'd say that 90% of the time making units like these was spent on research and creating the custom graphics, and the other 10% was just entering things into the editor and setting the animations and such.

While it certainly can be used to make all sorts of sci-fi/fantasy units, and perhaps that's what a lot of potential players will want to do with it, the unit editor is really best suited for creating stuff that's grounded in reality. There are still quite a lot of real-world weapon systems currently in service or just now coming on line, and SystemSoft obviously hasn't added all of them. I aim to rectify that with my translation/enhancement patches for the PC version. And perhaps when HD comes out, players will still have the capability to do the same.

Please use plain text.
Message 837 of 1,206 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
194 posts

Jun 17, 2012

Thats some great additions to the list there!

I've found a little extra interesting info on the SPYDER SAM including a video. Enjoy.

spyder193fd52fwu2.jpg

778.jpg

spyder-sr-tatra.jpg

Please use plain text.
Message 838 of 1,206 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
610 posts

Jun 18, 2012

Wow, thanks so much for sharing those new units, MisterSamurai!  They look easily as good as any of the default units in DSP 3.0 illustration-wise, not to mention they'd beef up their respective Production Types considerably.

AH-1 Cobra.gif

Please use plain text.
Message 839 of 1,206 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
114 posts

Jun 18, 2012

Speaking of unit lists; we still haven't gotten around to some like IFVs,  ground attack aircraft and naval warships. 

Please use plain text.
Message 840 of 1,206 (204 Views)
0 Likes