Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Wastelander
611 posts

Re: PS3 turn-based game suggestion: "DAISENRYAKU PERFECT HD" in English (Pictures Included!)

Mar 21, 2011

It's true that the strategy genre has had a much stronger presence on the PC, but please don't let that dissuade you from thinking it either can't work or is inferior on consoles.  I've played hundreds of hours on several other iterations of Daisenryaku, from Iron Storm on the Sega Saturn and DS VII: Modern Military Tactics on both the XBox and PS2, along with fan-translated versions of Advanced War 2001 for the Sega Dreamcast and Dasenryaku Perfect 3.0 for Japanese Windows.  This series is absolutely at home either on PC or consoles; the interface is smooth and (once you get the hang of where particular information is kept) easy to navigate.  Some recent RTS games such as Halo Wars and R.U.S.E. also show that RTS games can be mapped successfully to a console joypad.

Besides, one crucial thing that consoles offer (I'm talking specifically about local matches) that PC games seldom do (outside a hotseat match) is the comraderie and fun of local multiplayer.  My friends and I have played the PS2 release of Dai Senryaku VII: Modern Military Tactics Exceed to death over the past year, and we're still going at it strong (and adding new members to our group to boot) for hours at a time each week; that in itself should be a testament to the validity of console strategy titles as something more developers should look into.

At any rate, I hope you'll join in support of a PS3/XBox 360 US release; games like this literally come around once in a generation on consoles, so we could really use your help!

ニミッツ

DAISENRYAKU PERFECT HD Suggestion Thread and Information Page:

http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/3416427

Come by and visit and add your voice of support to bring this awesome strategy title to North America!!!
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 1,206 (601 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
611 posts

Re: PS3 turn-based game suggestion: "DAISENRYAKU PERFECT HD" in English (Pictures Included!)

Mar 21, 2011

bronxz32 said:

"If this games comes out on PS3/Xbox 360 it better sell a lot of copies for the company to make profit. Selling 200,000 units or less won't do it. Those numbers are good for a PSP title."

Which is exactly why companies need to market so-called "niche" gametypes much better than they are currently.  One expects the annual media, magazine, and hype assaults for Halo, Call of Duty, Madden, and so on because they are backed by multi-million-dollar budgets and promotion, but many deserving games go absolutely ignored and therefore unheard of by most gamers every year.  Many if not most people who own systems typically aren't really hobbyists or dedicated fans in the truest sense of the word; they're the ones usually targeted by buzzword campaigns (i.e. motion control, connectivity, 3D, etc) and who usually buy only the "big name" stuff (meaning they purchase only a few titles each year).  Sega's outstanding Valkyria Chronicles had pitiful initial sales figures which the company would later use to justify its sequels' releases only to PSP (portables are where cast-off genres go to retire), but in truth A) Sega had failed to give the game any decent marketing whatsoever in the West, instead opting to keep emphasis on their (then) awful Sonic titles, and B) since then word-of-mouth from gamers fortunate enough to have played Valkyria Chronicles has given it many more recent sales.

Unfortunately, because the "casual gamer" now makes up a majority of console owners, they're considered the new mainstream by companies struggling to hold their own in this rotten economy; the dedicated, passionate fans who basically were here all along and got the industry to where it is are now dismissed as a "niche" that's not worth the effort to cater to, especially with regard to genres like JRPGs, SRPGs, strategy games, schmups, and basically anything else that isn't technically cutting edge.  I heard almost those exact words when talking to a Nintendo rep over the phone in a cordial but tense conversation a year or so ago; potential profit motivates what gametypes are developed, not necessarily the wishes of gamers; "There are fewer of you (hardcore gamers) every year" were his exact words, and it's a perception that's very dangerous for the long-term health of the games industry.

Why?  Well, for starters, when developers take a dismissive stance toward the most vocal and passionate members of their consumer base, the heart and soul goes out of what originally drove it (to be fair, Nintendo has since begun to show a marked increase in focus on their core fanbase, as evidenced by last year's great E3 showing).  If profit is all that drives what games are made, then devs tend to try to steal each other's thunder or cash in on what's worked for another company, and originality and genre variety are the first casualties.  A great example is last year's E3 show, where there was such an oversaturation of first-person shooters that even the media began to take notice; there weren't enough sufficient release windows throughout the coming year for each one to have the limelight all to itself long enough to be profitable.  The cream of the crop (the Halos, Call of Dutys, and Battlefields) obviously rose to the top with their huge production budgets and promotions, and set sales records.  The rest, however, met with disappointment both critically from reviewers as well as sales-wise; THQ's efforts to promote their recent shooter Home Front actually came back to become bad press for the company.  The result is more job cuts and even less "risk taking" (meaning taking a chance on ANYTHING not rubber-stamped to sell millions of copies).  Another example of blatant formula-copying is the infamous God of War/Dante's Inferno fiasco.  And gamers everywhere get the shaft in terms of incentive to improve quality and innovation when a huge company like EA can simply buy exclusivity on the NFL license to eliminate competition altogether.

Sure, the "big guys" are boasting record sales figures and using that to justify the notion that the videogaming industry isn't nearing a crisis.  But what about all of the job cuts even for big development houses or the other, smaller developers who are getting shoved out of the equation like a Mom & Pop store owner by a new Wal-Mart?  What about a lack of originality (outside of downloadable games, which have come as a very pleasant surprise this console generation) that soon even the "casual gamers" will soon be able to notice (and hence will move on to other interests)?  What about passionate gamers like you, me, and the others who care enough to take the time and post on forums like these but often feel like our words are falling on deaf ears?  If everything comes to the point where the vast majority of games look, sound, and play like everything else and the only "innovation" revolves more around control interfaces than on the games themselves (and obviously that's been happening all over recently), many longtime gamers may end up walking away from the hobby out of apathy and frustration.  I'm not necessarily predicting a mid-1980s level crash, but this industry needs badly to regain a sense of balance and a connection with the fans who have (and will continue to) stayed with the hobby through thick and thin; that's the only truly sound investment, even if it doesn't reap the short-term glory or sales figures.

Even still, to address your point, a developer (especially a smaller one) CAN turn a profit on a game (including one like Daisenryaku Perfect HD) by simply having a limited release (just several thousand copies in some cases; not even hundreds of thousands) and seeing how it initially goes; Demon's Souls by Atlus was a surprise hit for the company because they took a chance on it, initially printing a low enough number of units not to have to eat the loss in the case the game had performed poorly sales-wise.  Localizations are a tricky business, to be sure, but it certainly comes as an assurance to a prospective developer when they can look and see a vocal community of gamers asking for a specific game or genre type (even if it's a relatively small number).  While obviously any company would prefer to score a breakout hit and turn a mountain of profit, at least when they know that those gamers will be buying the game if it's released and will very likely be evangelists to spread word-of-mouth to their friends about it, that it will justify at least printing a certain number of copies; a small profit is better than none at all.  That's what this page is about; it's for any and all of us who want to see Daisenryaku Perfect HD released to let Sony and other devs see (and they DO monitor these threads) for themselves how much we want it released here.

AH-1コブラ

Come by and visit and add your voice of support to bring this awesome strategy title to North America!!!
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 1,206 (601 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
611 posts

Mar 21, 2011

The thread is back up and running after having been removed for awhile last evening.  Apparently referring to it as a "petition" in the heading classified it as spam according to Sony's forum rules.  I quickly wrote the administrator, RockinRetrobilly, and he has been kind enough to change the thread's heading and put it back up for us (as a Featured post, no less!).  My sincere thanks to him for working with us and for helping to give this community a chance to be heard.

M109A6 パラディン

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 1,206 (601 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
611 posts

Mar 21, 2011

I just noticed something very interesting while studying the top-down map screens above.  If you look closely at the map in the top-left corner (next to the turn number and faction details in the small inset box) you'll notice that it appears to be round.  Could this possibly mean that for the first time, users will actually be able to design maps that "wrap around" for truly global scale strategy?  The possibilities if this is the case go far beyond what my group and I have traditionally been accustomed to, where each player simply starts on a corner of a rectangular map and only has to concern themselves with mobilizing and countering in a single general direction.  A spherical map would challenge even longtime Daisenryaku players because the guy "opposite you" when you build the map actually could also be the CLOSEST to you during gameplay; no more strictly "four corners"-style maps!

Of course I still could be wrong about this, but the screenshots do seem to support this theory.  It sure would be awesome if it turns out to be true!

こんごう

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 1,206 (601 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
611 posts

Mar 21, 2011

Hey everyone,

Thanks to everyone who's posted so far for taking the time to do so.  I hope that everyone who posts here won't be one and done; it's VERY important to Daisenryaku Perfect HD's chances of being localized for there to be a definite sense of community and passion here for Sony and any third party devs who might be looking in to see.  I'm brainstorming to try to find ways to foster that atmosphere and encourage discussion and viewer participation.  I've come up with a couple of ideas, namely a Feature Wish List should the game indeed make its way to the US, and a Possible DLC Wish List for possible expansions that may come around later.  Obviously I don't wish to put the cart before the horse as right now we are still just trying to get localization confirmed, but I thought I'd throw these out there and see if someone else keeps the ball rolling.  Would you like to see a DLC add-on eventually that adds a World War II campaign, nations, and units, for instance?  More detailed, cleaner weapon models by a developer should they take on the project?  Please feel free to chime in and add your suggestions; the floor is open for discussion!

M1エイブラムス

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 1,206 (601 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
291 posts

Mar 22, 2011

Does anyone know if it is true that this game cost $101 Dollars, cause if it does it's not going to do well. But I'll probably buy it anyway. I heard the price form Kotaku, I don't believe it I think was a typo or something.

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 1,206 (601 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
611 posts

Mar 22, 2011

That would be the price to IMPORT the game from Japan.  I personally imported Daisenryaku Perfect 3.0 for the PC, and can confirm that the $100-plus figure is certainly in the ballpark (the atrocious shipping costs for a private individual have much to do with that).  So if you don't wish to pay that premium to play a menu-heavy game with text you most likely won't be able to read, posting here in support of getting Daisenryaku Perfect HD brought to the US is probably the best alternative.

As for the price should the game come to the US, I would estimate that it will fall well within the average range of a typical new PS3 game, anywhere from $49.99 to $64.99 (as a ballpark estimate, but I'd actually tend to guess toward the lower end as a dev will want to make it as attractive as possible to folks who've never considered a strategy game before).

Hope this helps!

F-2

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 1,206 (601 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
195 posts

Mar 22, 2011

"Exceed" came out on PS2 well under 40$ new if I can recall.

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 1,206 (601 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
195 posts

Mar 22, 2011

That would be very cool. It would force you to form more strategies (and alliances) to watch your back door while pushing in. Naval combat would definitely get interesting if you could wrap around a map dominated by deep waters...

"SURPRISE!! THREE LOADED CARRIERS!!"

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 1,206 (601 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
291 posts

Mar 22, 2011

It did thanks.

Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 1,206 (601 Views)
0 Likes