Ghost of Sparta
15329 posts

Re: x-mas - why?

Apr 5, 2007

Primo101 wrote:
Because using an "X" Means "Cross" and *Trying not to be religious* Jesus died on a Cross so Instead of saying Christmas, it's shortend to "X-Mas"

Am I right?
-
--

CNNBoy-Cancer stickless for 3 days
Message 11 of 27 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9933 posts

Apr 5, 2007
Understandable and agrred when saying it, but as of typing it, I don't see the problem. We might as well stop typing lol, btw, brb, etc...
"Memories are forgotten, but never lost."
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Message 12 of 27 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
16834 posts

Apr 5, 2007

Primo101 wrote:

Primo101 wrote:
Because using an "X" Means "Cross" and *Trying not to be religious* Jesus died on a Cross so Instead of saying Christmas, it's shortend to "X-Mas"

Am I right?

eh, seems a bit overanalyzed.

Message 13 of 27 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10086 posts

Apr 5, 2007

Primo101 wrote:

Primo101 wrote:

Am I right?

Firstly, I don't see how you're trying not to get religious on a completely religious topic, and secondly, the holiday is celebrating his birth, nothing to do with his death, so it shouldn't have to do with the cross he was nailed to.
Message 14 of 27 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15329 posts

Apr 5, 2007

crovax3000 wrote:

Primo101 wrote:

Primo101 wrote:

Am I right?

eh, seems a bit overanalyzed.

Whatever *Rolls eyes*

Ohh well, at least I gave my thoughts on it.
-
--

Message 15 of 27 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
14796 posts

Apr 5, 2007

Primo101 wrote:

that might be true, but is not the reason everyone uses the word x-mas...seems like religous spin if you ask me...i prefer not to use the word christ...dont ask why, as it cant be discussed here.
Message 16 of 27 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5128 posts

Apr 5, 2007
because the american government wants to be "politically correct"
Written in very small characters one word, which could be deciphered, but it was hard to tell whether it should be read as independent or interdependent

PSU handle: NewbieSmack
Gaming PSN handle: Mistah_Kurtz
Message 17 of 27 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15329 posts

Apr 5, 2007

Andy19 wrote:

Primo101 wrote:

Primo101 wrote:

Am I right?

Firstly, I don't see how you're trying not to get religious on a completely religious topic, and secondly, the holiday is celebrating his birth, nothing to do with his death, so it shouldn't have to do with the cross he was nailed to.

I guess you're right.

But He died on a Cross (X) and so people started using an X instead of writing it all out.
-
--

Message 18 of 27 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4267 posts

Apr 5, 2007
actually use of the letter "X" is a traditional and accepted abbreviation for "christ".

from wikipedia:
"The word 'Christ' and its compounds, including 'Christmas', have been abbreviated for at least the past 1,000 years, long before the modern 'Xmas' was commonly used. 'Christ' was often written as 'XP' or 'Xt'; there are references in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle as far back as 1021 AD."

"The occasionally held belief that the "X" represents the cross Christ was crucified on has no basis in fact. St Andrew's Cross is X-shaped, but Christ's cross was probably shaped like a T or a †."
Meister Gear Solid
Message 19 of 27 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8491 posts

Apr 5, 2007
I don't care about some dead guy who never existed or what they call it as long as I get my presents as far as i'm concerned the X stands for X marks the spot where my loot better be under that tree.
There won't be any custom avatars :smileysad:
Message 20 of 27 (0 Views)
0 Likes