Gaming Beast
2570 posts

Re: windows what what?

Dec 12, 2006

Aowen wrote:
But Vista is powerhungry it's recommnded you have at least 1GB of RAM.

thats probobly to run at full capacity, or just to make people to buy more expensive computers
Message 11 of 14 (1 View)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12751 posts

Dec 12, 2006

psp-gizmo wrote:

Aowen wrote:

thats probobly to run at full capacity, or just to make people to buy more expensive computers

Microsoft doesn't sell computers, so why would they want that? It is not to run at full capacitySmiley Indifferent I have 2G's of RAM....and I don't run at full capacity...you really can't run an OS at full capacity...
APPLE SPY
Message 12 of 14 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7820 posts

Dec 12, 2006
I tested both the Beta 2 and RC1 and I can tell you now that it's not that exciting. I got to use Aero with my 7600GT but frankly, it's not too much better than XP.
Formerly "Overclocked Cellist"
Message 13 of 14 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7820 posts

Dec 12, 2006

Aowen wrote:

psp-gizmo wrote:

Aowen wrote:

Microsoft doesn't sell computers, so why would they want that? It is not to run at full capacitySmiley Indifferent I have 2G's of RAM....and I don't run at full capacity...you really can't run an OS at full capacity...

In general, the more RAM you have, the less compressing your processor has to do. That improves performance.

In addition, you can have more physical memory and less virtual memory (HDD pretending to be memory), meaning faster data access times.

I ran Windows Vista with Aero with 1GB of RAM. I could have Photoshop Elements 4.0, iTunes, Mozilla Firefox and a virus scan going all at the same time with around 70% RAM taken.

My framerates for games in Vista did not decrease much, oddly. On Half-Life 2: Lost Coast running at maximum settings (HDR, etc.), I lost about 1 frame per second for the video stress test when compared with XP with the same settings.
Formerly "Overclocked Cellist"
Message 14 of 14 (1 View)
0 Likes