Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Re: windows 8 SUCKS (help)

Jul 8, 2013

FiveFourteen wrote:

You need to find a touchscreen TV. Hook your PC or Tablet to it and you got yourself some fun.

I'm very first-world, but I'mn not THAT first-world.

Message 51 of 61 (77 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4114 posts

Jul 8, 2013

Wh

johngie wrote:

Crazy-Maisy wrote:

johngie wrote:

I'm inclined to say that Win8 on a laptop/desktop is AWFUL.

But on a touchscreen?

Touchscreen Laptop. So gooed too. But works without a touchscreen just as well.

I got comfy with Win8 on my tablet, then was at Walmart looking at the computers. I instinctivey reached out and started poking the screens, but naturally they didn't work. From there, I had a hell of a time figuring out how to do this and that, and all that beautiful real-estate on the Metro homescreen seems wasted when you're using this tiny, fast and efficient mouse.

Which is why I give a poke a screen and if it doesn't react I keep walking to the next in line.

I loved touchscreen when HP had the 12" wonderful little laptops ... but it was all terrible (overheating, glitches, lights flashing all the time.) They've got it right, now (Envy touchscreen models.) Plus a Win 8 touch laptop is more useful than an old one.

Old touchscreens have a few touch points, while Win 8 supports multi-touch 10-point. Win 8 certified have to have screens capable of that if they are touchscreen. 

Our All in One computer was Win 7 and touch screen, it's not as fantastic as a Win 8 touch screen machine but it works. My desktop isn't touch at all. I have a mouse and keyboard. It works well. Just have to know what to do. That's operator/User. Not the OS/Computer

I've been using laptops for many years and got very functional multitouch and gestures from the mouse pad long ago. Win 8 can be used very well with that, if you know what you are doing. Just simple gliding your finger over the touch pad you can easily touch as if you were touching the screen. 

Regardless, in the old days it was always useful to know how to use a computer without a mouse, how to navigate using only a keyboard. That's always hilarious to see people freaking out about.

Message 52 of 61 (73 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1507 posts

Jul 8, 2013

Have a new vaio /w windows 8.Love and prefer my blue tooth wirless mouse over the touch screen myself,other than that it works flawlessly..Could'nt be happier with it...Smiley Wink

Old Gamers Don't Die... They Re Spawn...
Message 53 of 61 (67 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11164 posts

Jul 8, 2013

Kinda wonder if Microsoft has started earning a commission from Apple.

I, and several friends of mine have recently gone computer shopping...  briefly looked at the many offerings from Microsoft (including the Surface tablet), and ended up going with...

mac.jpg

Best decision I've made in the past few years.

Message 54 of 61 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2197 posts

Jul 8, 2013

Crazy-Maisy wrote:

Gojet-64 wrote:

I paid $40 for Windows 8, and I don't really think it was worth it, let alone the $120 it is now.

Windows 8 is worthless. If you find a KB&M PC with Windows 8, walk away, and demand one with Windows 7.

Name one benefit of Windows 8. Just one.

Boots incredibly fast.

Searches incredibly fast.

That's two big ones.

It only boots faster because it's cluttered with less stuff, because we installed a bunch of stuff on our previous OS that slowed down the boot time. By installing stuff, Windows 8 boot time will also slow down.

Same thing with search speed. Because very little stuff is installed, there is much less that needs to be searched through.

My computer is a dual-boot (with Windows 7 and Windows 8) so I can compare performance very well, since both are using the exact same hardware. For example, because Windows 8 is a hybrid OS, it uses more RAM than Windows 7. Also, Windows 7 can run just as fast as Windows 8 by turning off Windows Aero.

Gojet-64 is now Encvell. (Gojet-64 is now only used for older games and Vita)
Back up your PS3's and PS4's hard drives!
Try repairing your corrupted hard drive without losing data, here.
Message 55 of 61 (52 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34146 posts

Jul 8, 2013

Crazy-Maisy wrote:

Gojet-64 wrote:

I paid $40 for Windows 8, and I don't really think it was worth it, let alone the $120 it is now.

Windows 8 is worthless. If you find a KB&M PC with Windows 8, walk away, and demand one with Windows 7.

Name one benefit of Windows 8. Just one.

Boots incredibly fast.

Searches incredibly fast.

That's two big ones.

those dont have to do with Windows 8 really.

if your PC isnt cluttered with crap it will always boot up fast, and searches have to do with your browser and ISP.

Message 56 of 61 (43 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1124 posts

Jul 8, 2013

I guess i see some of the points made. One being about paying for it. I have used both Windows 7 and Windows 8. But getting either is not a problem, seeing as how i get it free through my school. I have windows 8 and my laptop boots in ~9 seconds.

Message 57 of 61 (38 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Jul 8, 2013

If windows 8 was so good, they wouldnt be coming out with Blue (8.1) so soon.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 58 of 61 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Jul 8, 2013

Setzaroth wrote:

Win8 came out in late October. Blue is scheduled for late 2013 (i.e. October through November, i.e. one year later).

Besides, it's not like te competition has yearly OS updates....

Message 59 of 61 (25 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 8, 2013

johngie wrote:

Setzaroth wrote:

Win8 came out in late October. Blue is scheduled for late 2013 (i.e. October through November, i.e. one year later).

Besides, it's not like te competition has yearly OS updates....

ya, but look at the gap between Xp and Vitsa(which was also horrible like 8, and saw a quick fix named 7, shortly after. Pattern? yep.)

When they release a good OS, they don't have a reason to make another for a while.

The reviews, reactions, and reception of 8 for the PC, is overwhelmingly negative.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 60 of 61 (23 Views)
0 Likes