Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 12/12/2006
Offline
150 posts
 

Re: will sony bust soon?

Dec 12, 2006
I really don't understand people's reactions.  The system just came out.  Most systems have bugs when they are first released and they get worked through.  I remember a huge recall on XBoxs and now you have the 360.  The other thing I don't understand is people complaing about the price.  If you take the 360 $400 unit add a wirless adaptor ($99), a charging cable ($16), and a year subscrption to xbob live you are at the same price point as the ps3.  AND next year you don;t have to pay for online use again so you are ahead.  Plus you can play blu-ray movies and it is upgradable.
TotalHavoc (feel free to add me to your friends list)
Message 21 of 36 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
25464 posts
 

Re: will sony bust soon?

Dec 12, 2006


EmanonE wrote:


CaptainHarlock wrote:


EmanonE wrote:
What in the world does Casino Royale have to do with Sony Stock?  A movie going to give investors confidence?

Hey I love my PS3 but the truth is Sony has seen better days.



Casino Royale was made by MGM Studios who are OWNED by Sony. The James Bond catalogue of films makes a tremendous amount of money world wide from DVD sales, merchandise and television broadcast rights. Alot of people only see Sony as video games because that's their only association with the company. But it's a HUGE multi media conglomerate.

You also have to understand that when a company takes on debt it's not necessarily a bad thing. Sony purchased MGM and they acquired a lot of debt from that. But the 007 film library was what they really wanted to get their hands on because it's such a cash cow. They made an investment. There's a saying that it takes money to make money. If you lay out cash now there's a good chance you're going to make MORE later if you make the right investment choice. It's a simple economic principle that you learn in Economics 101.
 
Trust me guys. Sony isn't going anywhere.


A single film will not save a company.  I'm not saying Sony is going anywhere but the truth is they are hurting.  To wave the flag saying all is well is just wrong.


You didn't read the whole post did you? They got the ENTIRE 007 LIBRARY!! Goldeneye, Goldfinger, Dr. No...EVERYTHING. That also means television broadcast rights, DVD sales, video game rights, etc.

Everything is not "all well". But as I also said when a company takes on debt it's not necessarily a sign of trouble. They made an investment to buy MGM and to develop Blu Ray. It takes money to make money.


Message Edited by CaptainHarlock on 12-11-2006 09:43 PM
Message 22 of 36 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
Registered: 03/07/2004
Offline
27123 posts
 

Re: will sony bust soon?

Dec 12, 2006


CaptainHarlock wrote:
If you think Sony is "going to bust" take a look at these numbers for Casino Royale;

Domestic: $129,020,082 34.4%
 + Foreign: $246,510,827 65.6%
= Worldwide: $375,530,909



 
Anyone that thinks a company which has their feet in some many puddles is going to fail because one dries up is sorely mistaken. Just for reference though, SONY is nowhere near failing on the PS3 and they are easily flurishing, the system's are selling out everywhere.
Message 23 of 36 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 02/23/2005
Offline
3151 posts
 

Re: will sony bust soon?

Dec 12, 2006


CaptainHarlock wrote:


EmanonE wrote:


CaptainHarlock wrote:


EmanonE wrote:
What in the world does Casino Royale have to do with Sony Stock?  A movie going to give investors confidence?

Hey I love my PS3 but the truth is Sony has seen better days.



Casino Royale was made by MGM Studios who are OWNED by Sony. The James Bond catalogue of films makes a tremendous amount of money world wide from DVD sales, merchandise and television broadcast rights. Alot of people only see Sony as video games because that's their only association with the company. But it's a HUGE multi media conglomerate.

You also have to understand that when a company takes on debt it's not necessarily a bad thing. Sony purchased MGM and they acquired a lot of debt from that. But the 007 film library was what they really wanted to get their hands on because it's such a cash cow. They made an investment. There's a saying that it takes money to make money. If you lay out cash now there's a good chance you're going to make MORE later if you make the right investment choice. It's a simple economic principle that you learn in Economics 101.
 
Trust me guys. Sony isn't going anywhere.


A single film will not save a company.  I'm not saying Sony is going anywhere but the truth is they are hurting.  To wave the flag saying all is well is just wrong.


You didn't read the whole post did you? They got the ENTIRE 007 LIBRARY!! Goldeneye, Goldfinger, Dr. No...EVERYTHING. That also means television broadcast rights, DVD sales, video game rights, etc.

Everything is not "all well". But as I also said when a company takes on debt it's not necessarily a sign of trouble. They made an investment to buy MGM and to develop Blu Ray. It takes


Yes I did but you were the one asking if I had ever heard of Casino Royale before as if it was the saving grace.  I'm just not the one who is going to go around saying Sony is fine.......the company is perfect.  They have a battle on their hands right now and need some things to go their way.

Hey Worldcom owned at LEAST 1/3 of the internet but that wasn't enough to save them.
D1G1T4L Trophy Card
Message 24 of 36 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/01/2005
Offline
4859 posts
 

Re: will sony bust soon?

Dec 12, 2006
Only the ignorant or a dumbass would even think such a thing so which one are you?
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Message 25 of 36 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 02/23/2005
Offline
3151 posts
 

Re: will sony bust soon?

Dec 12, 2006


CaptainHarlock wrote:


EmanonE wrote:


CaptainHarlock wrote:


Pulo wrote:


CaptainHarlock wrote:


Pulo wrote:


CaptainHarlock wrote:


Pulo wrote:
Sony IS headed for failure, the PS3 was supposed to launch a long time ago with far more units, they missed that mark, this will lead to a chain reaction of problems for Sony financially, they are doomed. Now for the good news, Sony is too huge, even if they do go down the Japanese government will bail them out, they will be fine. What most likely will happen however, this will be the last playstation as we know it. It has cost far too much cash and has generated to little to slowly, it has been a monumental pain in the @ss and embarrassment for Sony, after the PS3, playstation is probably done, they can make more money just selling game software.


Do you actually know what Sony does?



yes, yes i do know what they do, they make over priced electronics, what's your point?

If you think Sony is only electronics and video games then the only point is the one on your head. Sony is a far more diverse company than you think. Sony includes;
  • Sony Films
  • Columbia Films (which has the rights to Spider-Man
  • Tri-Star Film
  • MGM Studios (which owns theme parks, the 007 films and the Beatle movie Yellow Submarine)
  • Sony Video (which distributes movies and television programs on DVD)
  • Sony Television Syndication
  • Sony Television (which owns television programs like Seinfeld)
  • Columbia Television
  • Tri-Star Television
  • Epic Records (ever hear of Michael Jackson or Cheap Trick?)
  • 550 Records
  • Sony Nashvile
  • Sony Music Publishing (which has first crack at the Beatle song catalogue, worth $1 BILLION, when Michael Jackson defaults on his loan)
  • Sony Television Network (Japan)
  • Sony Financial (Japan only)

There's more I'm sure I'm forgetting but you get the idea. It's a VERY diverse company.




Look dude, i dont get why but it is clear that you love Sony, but all the love and diversity will not make them failure proof. Did you read the bloomberg report up there, they are in the red! They are Hemorrhaging cash. This can only go on for so long, the too little too late PS3 and imminant failure of bluray will send them over the edge.

It's not that I "love Sony". You're the one saying "the sky is falling!!". And the fact that you said that Sony only makes electronics proves that your argument isn't valid. Businesses have cycles. You'd know this if you really follow the the Bloomberg reports. But it just looks like now it's dog pile on the rabbit.


So how much do you have invested in SNE?


Zero. How much stock do you have in Microsoft? Or Apple? Or Texaco? Or Exxon?


None in those.  I am invested in telecom right now.
D1G1T4L Trophy Card
Message 26 of 36 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 02/23/2005
Offline
3151 posts
 

Re: will sony bust soon?

Dec 12, 2006


CNNboy wrote:
All one has to do is look at the stock price:
 
In the last year the stock price has been inbetween $41.65 - $50.05 per share.
 
Today Sony stock closed at $45.62 per share.
 
If one looks at the stock price overall since the beginning of the year, they are actually about even in the middle right now, but no where near a serious drop.


Sony closed at $45.62 today?  I'm seeing just above $40.
D1G1T4L Trophy Card
Message 27 of 36 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
25464 posts
 

Re: will sony bust soon?

Dec 12, 2006


EmanonE wrote:


CaptainHarlock wrote:


EmanonE wrote:


CaptainHarlock wrote:


EmanonE wrote:
What in the world does Casino Royale have to do with Sony Stock?  A movie going to give investors confidence?

Hey I love my PS3 but the truth is Sony has seen better days.



Casino Royale was made by MGM Studios who are OWNED by Sony. The James Bond catalogue of films makes a tremendous amount of money world wide from DVD sales, merchandise and television broadcast rights. Alot of people only see Sony as video games because that's their only association with the company. But it's a HUGE multi media conglomerate.

You also have to understand that when a company takes on debt it's not necessarily a bad thing. Sony purchased MGM and they acquired a lot of debt from that. But the 007 film library was what they really wanted to get their hands on because it's such a cash cow. They made an investment. There's a saying that it takes money to make money. If you lay out cash now there's a good chance you're going to make MORE later if you make the right investment choice. It's a simple economic principle that you learn in Economics 101.
 
Trust me guys. Sony isn't going anywhere.


A single film will not save a company.  I'm not saying Sony is going anywhere but the truth is they are hurting.  To wave the flag saying all is well is just wrong.


You didn't read the whole post did you? They got the ENTIRE 007 LIBRARY!! Goldeneye, Goldfinger, Dr. No...EVERYTHING. That also means television broadcast rights, DVD sales, video game rights, etc.

Everything is not "all well". But as I also said when a company takes on debt it's not necessarily a sign of trouble. They made an investment to buy MGM and to develop Blu Ray. It takes


Yes I did but you were the one asking if I had ever heard of Casino Royale before as if it was the saving grace.  I'm just not the one who is going to go around saying Sony is fine.......the company is perfect.  They have a battle on their hands right now and need some things to go their way.

Hey Worldcom owned at LEAST 1/3 of the internet but that wasn't enough to save them.


This converstation is going absolutley nowhere. This is my last post on this topic.


Message Edited by CaptainHarlock on 12-11-2006 09:52 PM
Message 28 of 36 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 01/06/2006
Offline
7280 posts
 

Re: will sony bust soon?

Dec 12, 2006
Yeah, it will take more than microsoft to kill sony.
Signature removed by Admin due to advertising of a commercial nature.
Message 29 of 36 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 06/17/2006
Offline
8643 posts
 

Re: will sony bust soon?

Dec 12, 2006


sanankid wrote:
sony corporation has more money than you can imagine, no they wont fall




correct sony is HUGE.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Shot at 2007-08-05
Message 30 of 36 (0 Views)
Reply
0 Likes