Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcoming Committee
9234 posts

Re: when is the price of memory cards for the ps vita dropping.

Mar 5, 2014

glaciusx25 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

Videogameaddict2 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

Box9Missingo wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

I fail to see how so many people are willing to shell out $200 for a device and then not able to pay $25 for a decent memory card. Is $25 worth waiting 6 months (or however long)?

That's only for the 8gb card. It's around $20 for one. The 16gb one is around $40. It's worth waiting for the prices to come down via a sale. I was willing to get the system, because I was interested and the games seemed to be good for it. 

An 8gb card is enough for anyone buying physical is my point. It leaves space for one or two digital games as well (I used this for Plus games)

But what if you're buying physical, and you have instances like Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD. You CANNOT get X-2 HD physically, it is ONLY included in X as a download voucher. Lucky Japan gets a cartridge for that one, we don't. Speaking of Japan, they do bundles so much better. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhX_YRjCcAAxAq9.jpg:large

Then there are some games that are released digitally-only because they just would not sell well enough physically to justify the costs. Also then there's buying PS1 games for on the go. I own PS1 games physically, but I can't exactly play those on the go, unless you expect me to drag a TV, generator, and console everywhere.

8GB just can't be enough at times.

I do not see the problem. There is enough space for a game or two. Just delete the games you are done playing and redownload them from your download list when you want to play them again. I assume you will beat FFX-2 and be done with it for awhile. Delete it and play another game. 

8gb will be enough for anyone going physical. If you want to go digital, pay $15 more and buy the 16gb.

People are lazy. They don't want to deal with deleting/re-downloading.

That's the real reason. People want ALL their games with them at all times. And they want it digital.

Not always the case. It comes down to 'paying for the game and wanting to keep it'. It's not always 'being lazy'. Also you don't know if someone might  lose access to wifi. So in that case they wouldn't be able to redownload a game. As for wanting games digital. Not me. I'm not a fan of it tbh. But if it's the only way to get a hold of a game, then I'm not against it there.

Message 21 of 29 (108 Views)
Fender Bender
4244 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 5, 2014

bob-maul wrote:

I do not see the problem. There is enough space for a game or two. Just delete the games you are done playing and redownload them from your download list when you want to play them again. I assume you will beat FFX-2 and be done with it for awhile. Delete it and play another game. 

8gb will be enough for anyone going physical. If you want to go digital, pay $15 more and buy the 16gb.

That's not always an option, stuff can come down, and also, what do if like in say 10 years Sony discontinues the Vita because it got succeeded by a superior handheld they made, and drops PlayStation Store support for it? You can't redownload after that.

Watch what's going to happen in the next 5 or so years with the PlayStation 3. PSN support will be dropped (It isn't financially viable to leave it up forever), and you won't be able to redownload anything ever again.

You won't be able to get those game patches, DLC, and digital purchases. The original Xbox and Sega Dreamcast already went through this years ago. If you lose that stuff, you can't redownload it.

Message 22 of 29 (105 Views)
PlayStation MVP
13363 posts

Mar 5, 2014

Videogameaddict2 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

That's not always an option, stuff can come down, and also, what do if like in say 10 years Sony discontinues the Vita because it got succeeded by a superior handheld they made, and drops PlayStation Store support for it? You can't redownload after that.

Watch what's going to happen in the next 5 or so years with the PlayStation 3. PSN support will be dropped (It isn't financially viable to leave it up forever), and you won't be able to redownload anything ever again.

You won't be able to get those game patches, DLC, and digital purchases. The original Xbox and Sega Dreamcast already went through this years ago. If you lose that stuff, you can't redownload it.

Sounds a memory card is worth your $40 then. You are left with a couple options.

1. Buy a Vita and use the download/redownload strategy until the memory card prices come down

2. Buy the memory card

Welcoming Committee Twitter
Message 23 of 29 (96 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29971 posts

Mar 5, 2014

bob-maul wrote:

Videogameaddict2 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

Sounds a memory card is worth your $40 then. You are left with a couple options.

1. Buy a Vita and use the download/redownload strategy until the memory card prices come down

2. Buy the memory card

vita games can be kept on a ps3 or pc

Message 24 of 29 (88 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12342 posts

Mar 5, 2014

bob-maul wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

Videogameaddict2 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

Box9Missingo wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

I fail to see how so many people are willing to shell out $200 for a device and then not able to pay $25 for a decent memory card. Is $25 worth waiting 6 months (or however long)?

That's only for the 8gb card. It's around $20 for one. The 16gb one is around $40. It's worth waiting for the prices to come down via a sale. I was willing to get the system, because I was interested and the games seemed to be good for it. 

An 8gb card is enough for anyone buying physical is my point. It leaves space for one or two digital games as well (I used this for Plus games)

But what if you're buying physical, and you have instances like Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD. You CANNOT get X-2 HD physically, it is ONLY included in X as a download voucher. Lucky Japan gets a cartridge for that one, we don't. Speaking of Japan, they do bundles so much better. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhX_YRjCcAAxAq9.jpg:large

Then there are some games that are released digitally-only because they just would not sell well enough physically to justify the costs. Also then there's buying PS1 games for on the go. I own PS1 games physically, but I can't exactly play those on the go, unless you expect me to drag a TV, generator, and console everywhere.

That's the real reason. People want ALL their games with them at all times. And they want it digital.

Then that laziness deserves a premium.

But then why is that premium higher than any other device?

I can store EVERY SINGLE 3DS GAME I OWN on one 32GB SD card. For $20. And still have room for about 100-300 more games.

The fact of the matter is, that because they decided to use a proprietary format and have yet to let 3rd parties make any, they can charge any price they want, and choose to overcharge for it.

An 8GB card being $20 means that you're basically paying $2.50 per 1GB of storage.

An 8GB SD card is around $7 (less than $1 per GB)

An 8GB MicroSD card is $7-$8 (up to $1 per GB)

An 8GB Flash Drive is $5-$7 (less than $1 per GB)

The price-to-storage ratio is ridiculous.

Heck, just look at the 64GB Memory card being $100.

You can buy a 128GB Solid State Drive for less than that.

Isn't that sort of sad?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 25 of 29 (85 Views)
Fender Bender
4244 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 5, 2014

When Sony's PS Vita Memory cards are more money than their own Memory Sticks the PSP used (Along with various other Sony electronics), there's a problem.

Message 26 of 29 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
354 posts

Mar 5, 2014

would everyone please stop complaining about prices for memory cards. early on in the days of psp the 16gb memory stick was $80 at gamestop.  It took me months of collecting cans to get enough for a 4gb memory stick and yet here you are complaining about $100 for 32gb. In my opinion the memory cards are fairly priced and anyone complaining must not have had to buy one for a psp.

Message 27 of 29 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
9234 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 5, 2014

TheGreaWrathalos wrote:

would everyone please stop complaining about prices for memory cards. early on in the days of psp the 16gb memory stick was $80 at gamestop.  It took me months of collecting cans to get enough for a 4gb memory stick and yet here you are complaining about $100 for 32gb. In my opinion the memory cards are fairly priced and anyone complaining must not have had to buy one for a psp.

Good point. But still, cost is one huge drawback tbh. And sadly folks won't stop complaining and I don't blame them for doing so. 

Message 28 of 29 (74 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13363 posts

Mar 5, 2014

glaciusx25 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

Videogameaddict2 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

Box9Missingo wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

Then that laziness deserves a premium.

But then why is that premium higher than any other device?

I can store EVERY SINGLE 3DS GAME I OWN on one 32GB SD card. For $20. And still have room for about 100-300 more games.

The fact of the matter is, that because they decided to use a proprietary format and have yet to let 3rd parties make any, they can charge any price they want, and choose to overcharge for it.

An 8GB card being $20 means that you're basically paying $2.50 per 1GB of storage.

An 8GB SD card is around $7 (less than $1 per GB)

An 8GB MicroSD card is $7-$8 (up to $1 per GB)

An 8GB Flash Drive is $5-$7 (less than $1 per GB)

The price-to-storage ratio is ridiculous.

Heck, just look at the 64GB Memory card being $100.

You can buy a 128GB Solid State Drive for less than that.

Isn't that sort of sad?

If Sony sees the memory cards as harmful to their business, they will cut the prices or allow third parties. The market will decide this. If Sony sees the memory cards as profitable, they are just doing good business. If the memory cards are really keeping people from the Vita (again, this is doubtful), the prices will fall. 

Welcoming Committee Twitter
Message 29 of 29 (69 Views)
0 Likes