Nov 24 2006
By: thricefanatic19 Survivor 2875 posts

whats the point of mail in rebates and how do they work?

6 replies 8 views Edited Nov 24, 2006
how do you get the money back? is it by check or cash or gift card or what? and can you spend the rebate money anywhere or does it have to be spent in the store?
BESTBANDEVER!!!
Message 1 of 7 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2875 posts

Re: whats the point of mail in rebates and how do they work?

Nov 24, 2006
oh and how long before you get the money back?
BESTBANDEVER!!!
Message 2 of 7 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3847 posts

Nov 24, 2006
You should rebates as a last resort. Rebates takes hell a time to get back. First of all, you have to send it in, which is kinda difficult. Then you have to wait months. And most of the time, it's just a gift card to whatever store you send it to. The company think that most ppl won't got through all the trouble for a few bucks
I Accept All Friend Requests. *Xbox Live Guru*
Message 3 of 7 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7820 posts

Nov 24, 2006
1. You must pay the full money up front for mail-in rebates. "Instant rebates" aren't really rebates; you don't have to do anything to get the discount.
2. You must take the gear home, put all the paperwork together and fill it out (15-20 minutes).
3. If you filled it out legibly and mailed it in exactly correctly (be a perfectionist), you will probably get a check in the mail 6-8 weeks later for the rebate money.
Formerly "Overclocked Cellist"
Message 4 of 7 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
36722 posts

Nov 24, 2006
Here's the point of the rebate.  It puts the item on sale without having to put the item on sale.  Let's say you want to get a new flat screen TV.  The one you want is $1200.  That's too much.  But then it goes on sale for $800* and you can afford that.  So you decide you are going to buy that one.  Ah hah!  Gotcha!  You already decided to buy it.  Scroll down and you will see the fine print saying it's only $400 off with a mail-in rebate.  But mailing something in is no big deal so you go ahead and spend the $1200 on the TV.

Now comes the fun part.  The you who bought the TV is not the same you who has to fill out the paperwork.  It's like when you stay up late.  The you who has fun partying at night is not the same you who has to get up early.  So morning you is miserable and hates late-night you for making you miserable.  Get it?

So you get the TV home and you love it.  Now let's look at that paperwork.  Hmmm... that looks hard.  Let's watch some TV first.  A week later you look again at the paperwork.  Oh wait, they want the receipt back as proof?  But if you take back the receipt and something happens to the TV how do you exchange it?  So you sit and think about it some more.  But meanwhile the clock is ticking.  You only have so big of a window until that rebate expires.  Many people won't send the paperwork in at all or lose it or whatever, and the company never has to honor the rebate.

But now let's consider for a second that you actually send in the paperwork on time.  I won't even consider a rebate real unless they pay you back in money (check).  I used to do that at OfficeMax all the time.  They had rebates worth the full amount of the purchase.  I got extra memory for the computer free.  I used to get blank CD's free.  It was a great way to get me into the store.  But then one time the company sent me a letter saying they would not honor the rebate.  No reason why.  They simply didn't want to pay me.  I took the letter to Office Max and asked them to pay me.  They wouldn't.  So I told them they just lost my business.  I haven't been back.

But even if they do honor it, it could take months to get your money.  In the mean time they used your money to make other deals and generate revenue.  So they took the $400 they owe you and turned it into $600.  So now when they give you the $400 they are really only out $200.  Not bad for them.

* with $400 mail-in rebate.
Message 5 of 7 (8 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1305 posts

Re: Re: whats the point of mail in rebates and how do they work?

Nov 24, 2006
They do rebates because its easier for them to make instant $. Reason? when u get the mail-in rebate form u look at it and say," iII do it later". Later you'II forget and the company doesnt lose $ from the rebates.
������������������������������������������������
Wii 4.0U with XCM Chameleon Case Mod
-Bootmii vr2 with Starpatch hacks
-Preferred USB Loader: Wiiflow with 320gbHDD

Nintendo DSi 1.2U Black
-AceKard2i with 2gb micro sd
-M3i Zero (pending)
Message 6 of 7 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
3517 posts

Nov 24, 2006

Here's the point of the rebate.  It puts the item on sale without having to put the item on sale.  Let's say you want to get a new flat screen TV.  The one you want is $1200.  That's too much.  But then it goes on sale for $800* and you can afford that.  So you decide you are going to buy that one.  Ah hah!  Gotcha!  You already decided to buy it.  Scroll down and you will see the fine print saying it's only $400 off with a mail-in rebate.  But mailing something in is no big deal so you go ahead and spend the $1200 on the TV.

Now comes the fun part.  The you who bought the TV is not the same you who has to fill out the paperwork.  It's like when you stay up late.  The you who has fun partying at night is not the same you who has to get up early.  So morning you is miserable and hates late-night you for making you miserable.  Get it?

So you get the TV home and you love it.  Now let's look at that paperwork.  Hmmm... that looks hard.  Let's watch some TV first.  A week later you look again at the paperwork.  Oh wait, they want the receipt back as proof?  But if you take back the receipt and something happens to the TV how do you exchange it?  So you sit and think about it some more.  But meanwhile the clock is ticking.  You only have so big of a window until that rebate expires.  Many people won't send the paperwork in at all or lose it or whatever, and the company never has to honor the rebate.

But now let's consider for a second that you actually send in the paperwork on time.  I won't even consider a rebate real unless they pay you back in money (check).  I used to do that at OfficeMax all the time.  They had rebates worth the full amount of the purchase.  I got extra memory for the computer free.  I used to get blank CD's free.  It was a great way to get me into the store.  But then one time the company sent me a letter saying they would not honor the rebate.  No reason why.  They simply didn't want to pay me.  I took the letter to Office Max and asked them to pay me.  They wouldn't.  So I told them they just lost my business.  I haven't been back.

But even if they do honor it, it could take months to get your money.  In the mean time they used your money to make other deals and generate revenue.  So they took the $400 they owe you and turned it into $600.  So now when they give you the $400 they are really only out $200.  Not bad for them.

* with $400 mail-in rebate.

Thanks for that great post. I understood what rebates are now. Thanks again.
Message 7 of 7 (8 Views)
0 Likes