Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 15 2013
By: smurfmanx Lombax Warrior 246 posts

what do you want or like in a game website ?

6 replies 105 views Edited Jan 15, 2013

hey all,

i just want your opinions on what you like or would want in a game site. ?

I'm making a website for the last of us and tomb raider 2013.....

thanks for sharing your opinions

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (105 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
28506 posts

Re: what do you want or like in a game website ?

Jan 15, 2013
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (93 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5747 posts

Jan 15, 2013

eagles1990 wrote:
Cat pictures.

Lots and lots of cat pictures.

Agreed. And when you think you have enough cat pictures.......YOU'RE WRONG!!!  Add more cat pictures.

cat-yes-do-go-on-this-is-all-so-interesting.gif

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (85 Views)
Last Guardian
11094 posts

Jan 16, 2013

smurfmanx wrote:

what you like or would want in a game site. ?

No stupid people.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (66 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
37 posts

Jan 16, 2013

What do you mean a "game website"?

If you mean like IGN, GameTrailers, ScrewAttack, etc... Then I'd say I like a lot of personality, and origional content, such as; Podcast Beyond (IGN), SideScrollers (ScrewAttack), Angry Gamer (GameTrailers) etc...

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (53 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Jan 16, 2013

As a Journalist and CEO of a media organization that specializes in websites related to pop-culture, and from the standpoint of someone who actually works in the video game industry, I'd tell you the biggest things we find that people want to see in a website are:

1.Current content- the site has to be kept up and updated on a regular basis. It is a fact that users will leave a webpage in less than 15 seconds if they enter the site and do not see something they like within those few seconds. Especially newcomers. Old content will disinterest those who visit your site, as to where daily new content drives them to return.

2.Factual information- quote your sources and link to things as much as you can. Users need to find value in your posts or whichever way you display your information.

3. A reason to return- Find reasons for them to return such as, giveaways, rare content, user privileges, or simple things like the ease of making comments, ability to interact, some like polls, unique information, and accessibility that makes your site a needed resource.

4.Images- since the dawn of time, imagery has been used to pull folks closer to what we want them to become closer to. Post good quality images, set a standard for your site and make sure images are good definition, crisp, and easily viewable. Post new screen shots as often as possible, some people are often happy just looking at a post full of photos.

5. Video- since its a game site, its a perfect idea to share the latest trailers, and anything related to games and content you're wanting to share. Like photos, video should be good quality (if it can be helped) and folks will sometimes be happy watching game videos if that's all you can share in one day.

6.Keep the design modern with either the feel of a game or games that you're talking about, or a sleek magazine-style design. (Look up magazine style designs if you're not a developer, you'll get an idea what they look like. They're good for media sites like this.) All gamers are centered around loving tech. Period. So old fashioned web layouts or washed out dry colors will bore some folks.

7.Have a personality. I cannot stress this enough. Find unique querks about your inner-gamer and let it loose in your work. Look for things you can make humorous and continue to entertain your audience. If you post about games, give good information about your subject, and then add in your own perspective- that brings you character and shows the reader your personality. Be exciting, and write like you know what you're talking about.

8.This one's pretty obvious but not everyone gets it- Keep up with the latest news and information. If you don't, how will you be able to provide good information to those visiting your site? And like I said previously, show that you know what you're talking about.

People want to believe in what they're learning about or reading. Have confidence.

9.Keep an eye out for anything new you can do or add to your site. Don't clutter it, but always be open to new ideas.

10.For a "gaming" site specifically I'd say that the top things people like to read about are: Reviews, Top Ten lists, Latest info about games coming out, DLC news, Industry buzz, humorous things, trailers, gaming memorabilia, your personal thoughts on things here and there, annnnd...creative posts you can make by using your own creativity. Its your site, and your rules.

11.Keep up with the community. Never be afraid to ask what people think of your site. The question you asked here is already a step forward into the right direction. Be aware of what people want to see.

Hope some of these things help. I do panels at conventions about these sorts of things. I could go on longer, but I really need to head to bed. Contact me further if you'd like any more advice, I'd be happy to help.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (46 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
246 posts

Jan 16, 2013

Thanks alot for your informative post. 

It reinforces my thoughts and gives me alot  of confidence that I am heading in the right direciton.

Sometimes I am thinking with all the other sites out there, why should I bother.... but I also know how to do more than only post gaming videos.  You reminded me that I have alot to offer and such.  thanks.

No, i'm not looking to make another "gaming" website like IGN.  They have teams of people and are quite large.  I'm just one person.  I'm focusing on one game at a time and making a website for each game.   Not every game, but games that I have an interest in and that the overall community does as well.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (38 Views)
0 Likes