Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 28 2007
By: wheatiess Survivor 2705 posts

:smileysad:A good friend of mine.

9 replies 1 views Edited Mar 28, 2007
Well a good friend of mine(megan Churchill) was involved in a car accident. She is in the hospital and people are saying she might not make it. Im so sad.

Article:
Witnesses said they saw the car speeding and squealing its tires before the teenage driver at the wheel lost control and hit a tree Monday across from an elementary school.

The accident near 19th and Stockwell streets left four teenagers in the hospital.

Megan Churchill, 15, and Austin Jones, 17, were in the back seat of the car and suffered critical injuries, Officer Katherine Finnell said.

Megan is a freshman at Lincoln High School, and Jones is a senior there.

The conditions of Ricky Turco, the driver, and another passenger, Joshua Rice, were not available at BryanLGH Medical Center West.

Both are 17-year-olds.

Rice is a junior at North Star, according to Becky Wild, director of student services at Lincoln Public Schools.

Until recently, Turco had been enrolled in classes at a Lincoln school, too. Though Wild said she couldn’t say where.

Finnell said Turco was driving a white 2000 Chrysler Concorde east on Stockwell with the three passengers when he lost control and struck a tree on the southwest corner of 19th and Stockwell.

Witnesses said the car had been accelerating, squealing its tires and revving its engine before the accident, according to the accident report.

The Chrysler cleared 18th and Stockwell, then bottomed out and lost control. It hit a curb and drove through yards, hitting a mailbox and garbage can before hitting a tree in front of 1839 Stockwell.

Police were called to the scene — across the street from Beattie Elementary — at 3:25 p.m. Callers reported the car was on fire.

All four had serious injuries, Finnell said. Rice, who was riding in the front seat, was trapped.

Most parents have the misconception it’s less dangerous for teens to drive during the day, said Fred Zwonechek, administrator of the Nebraska Office of Highway Safety.

Statistically, though, teen drivers are involved in 1 in 4 crashes in Nebraska, despite representing only 8 percent of licensed drivers.

And, many of those accidents happen between 3 and 6 p.m., he said. And that’s particularly true in the spring, as weather starts to get nicer and the end of the school year nears.

“When these kinds of crashes occur, whether it involves fatalities or not, it does serve a purpose of getting parents’ attention ... and that’s a good thing.”

Because, Zwonechek said, just as teens tend to think it’s not going to happen to them, so, too, do their parents.

“When in fact there are far too many teen drivers that are involved in crashes in Nebraska,” he said.

Every year, Zwonechek said, the state loses 35 to 40 teen drives and thousands more are injured.

Crash rates for teen drivers have improved significantly since graduated licenses went into effect in Nebraska, he said. But more can be done.

Teens should take a driver training program and get in the habit of wearing seat belts. And Zwonechek said parents should ride with them to see how they’re doing and set guidelines for the number of passengers, a proven distraction for inexperienced drivers.

“At any point in time something like what happened yesterday can obviously happen to any one of us with tragic results.”

Message Edited by AsianPlaya on 03-28-2007 02:22 PM

Message 4 of 10 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3270 posts

Re: :smileysad:A good friend of mine.

Mar 28, 2007
Ahh I'm so sorry for you, ( next time don't put her real name..)

Message 1 of 10 (1 View)
0 Likes
Survivor
2705 posts

Mar 28, 2007

FIGHT FOR IT wrote:

its on the freaking news article...

Message 2 of 10 (1 View)
0 Likes
Sackboy
568 posts

Mar 28, 2007

AsianPlaya wrote:
Well a good friend of mine(megan Churchill) was involved in a car accident. She is in the hospital and people are saying she might not make it. Im so sad.

Man, that just stinks................I don't know what to say.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Click my sig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Message 3 of 10 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7937 posts

Mar 28, 2007

AsianPlaya wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that AsianPlaya. My prays to her and her family. That's sad to hear.
Message 5 of 10 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3587 posts

Mar 28, 2007
damn man sorry about that let's all keep hope that she'll make it i'g hate to lose my friend

��� user.

Message 6 of 10 (1 View)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12462 posts

Mar 28, 2007
:smileysurprised: ...
Message 7 of 10 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8491 posts

Mar 28, 2007

Maybe she'll still pull through
There won't be any custom avatars :smileysad:
Message 8 of 10 (1 View)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
11045 posts

Mar 28, 2007

FIGHT FOR IT wrote:

you're an idiot.
Message 9 of 10 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4843 posts

Mar 28, 2007
im sorry to hear that dude, i wish your friend good luck

���Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.��� ~ James Dean
Message 10 of 10 (1 View)
0 Likes