Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 23 2013
By: moblesuit75 PlayStation MVP 4403 posts

"Tapping Out" of Certain Game Series

37 replies 260 views Edited Jan 23, 2013

Has anyone else ever "tapped out" of certain Game Series.  I have had a few, barring switching from Nintendo to PlayStation.

There are some series that I get to a point, and I cannot take anymore.  No matter how much I loved the series and anticipated the next installment, I have eventually given up playing certain ones.

I stopped the God of War Series, just after God of War III.  I do not see myself buying the next installment of it.  It is not that the game now sucks, it is just a matter of feeling like I am doing the same thing over and over.

Developers bank on loyalty to one title, so I think they get lazy sometimes as the series goes on.  Granted, the idea pool may dry up from time to time, but I believe some titles should be put to bed for at least a little while.  The opposite seems to ring true though.

Often a series takes off, and the next thing you know there are off-shoots, and sequels popping up before the previous installment has even started to go stale.

This is great, if you can't wait for that next installment, but after a while, as I have said, it gets old.

Other series I have stopped are:  

Grand Theft Auto, after San Andreas

Final Fantasy, after FFVIII

COD, for now, but only if the next BF is not stellar.  Even that will get tiresome though.

I have more, but to move on with the point and get some reactions, I will pause for now.

I am sure some will say, by stopping, I am missing out on sooo much.  I accept that, when I make the decision though.  It is just the way I am I guess.

Just wondering if anyone else feel as I do, and if so, what are some title you have let go after so many installments?

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 38 (260 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1964 posts

Re: "Tapping Out" of Certain Game Series

Jan 23, 2013

I have a couple of times. I quit Final Fantasy with XIII. I quit Western RPGs altogether with Borderlands and Skyrim (unless if Dead Island is considered a Western RPG). I stopped 1st person shooters with BF3. I also quit Metroid with Zero Mission. I quit Castlevania with the reboot.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 38 (237 Views)
Last Guardian
13263 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 23, 2013

Game series that I have quit playing:

Madden / NCAA football

The last few installments left a lot to be desired. It's the same thing year after year and each new Madden game has less and less to offer as far as franchise options go.

Metal Gear

My all time favorite game is Metal Gear 3 and MG4 was a fitting end to the series far as I'm concerned. I won't be buying the new Metal Gear.

Uncharted

Had a lot of fun in the first game but U2 was boring and I did not bother with U3 after a few chapters cause I couldn't get into it.

Borderlands

Loved the first one and did not like the second game so I'm done with that series.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 38 (230 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
37 posts

Jan 24, 2013

Interesting topic.

I don't recall ever giving up on a series I had previously liked, but there have been many times where I just haven't quite gotten back to finishing a series I've started.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 38 (208 Views)
Lombax Warrior
103 posts

Jan 24, 2013

I had to give up on FPS all together, I still play BF3 every now and then, but all I do is snipe or lay down some suppressive fire from machine guns all game. Idk what happened, I used to be so entertained by them but I just find myself not interested at all when I play.

Ive found myself playing Red Dead Redemption quite a bit. And I could never give up on GTA, Although I have only completed two gta games in my life, I only play the missions until I unlock the third Island then I just play around.

PSN - Vallez93
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 38 (202 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
405 posts

Jan 24, 2013

I tapped out of Uncharted about 30 minutes into the first one. As for games I had been loyal to.....Madden, Need For Speed, Sonic, Crash Bandicoot, Gex, UFC Undisputed *LOL, Jak and Daxter, Spyro, I could probably go all day. CoD, Mortal Kombat, and Zelda have survived thus far. 

I would say Final Fantasy but I have just simply burnt myself out logging 500+ hours on each since 7...yet I still can't wait for the next one!

~REVOLUTION_IS_MY_NAME~
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 38 (191 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11236 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 24, 2013

I have tapped out of the Final Fantasy, (probably) the Resident Evil, and (potentially) the Devil May Cry series. The things that brought me to these video games in the first place no longer exist in them. Tweaks to a working formula in a video game series are fine and dandy but changes that drastically alter the experience that it offers can take away what people originally appreciated from the series in question. Most of the video games that I tapped out of have merely had their structures changed (i.e., fumbled with) too much. There are very few video games in a series that I will purchase in this day and age merely because they are part of a series. It really is too late for that approach with me. I look at individual video games and what each of them has to offer. Slapping a logo onto a video game that is essentially offering a completely different experience than what I have come to appreciate from a particular series will not cut it for me. As hard as it might be to "let go of" what were once my favorite video game series there are some things that just need to be done. Times change, people change, developers change, and video games change (that much is certain).   

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 38 (188 Views)
Fender Bender
3416 posts

Jan 24, 2013

Uncharted series is one for me.  Didn't intend to purchase the game when I first picked up a PS3 years ago,

but eventually picked up the first and loved the hell out of the game.  Later purchased the second; and I also enjoyed it.

Then Uncharted 3 came out.  ND screwed up a lot of things there.  

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 38 (180 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
7464 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 24, 2013

I feel that way now after AC3, Final Fantasy after XII, Call of Duty after MW2, and Metal Gear as soon as I put in MGS4.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 38 (176 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4403 posts

Jan 24, 2013

THEGREENSKEEPER wrote:

Game series that I have quit playing:

Madden / NCAA football

The last few installments left a lot to be desired. It's the same thing year after year and each new Madden game has less and less to offer as far as franchise options go.

Metal Gear

My all time favorite game is Metal Gear 3 and MG4 was a fitting end to the series far as I'm concerned. I won't be buying the new Metal Gear.

Uncharted

Had a lot of fun in the first game but U2 was boring and I did not bother with U3 after a few chapters cause I couldn't get into it.

Borderlands

Loved the first one and did not like the second game so I'm done with that series.

I stopped buying MG after three.  I just didn't see any major differences in each installment, so I figured I would not miss much if I stopped.

It is not so much the story, but the style of game play I get sick of I guess.  

Give you another example, I stopped playing RE after Code Veronics.  First person shooters became so good, that going back to the herky jerky play of RE, just didn't work for me anymore.

I downloaded the RE5 GOld from PLUS, but ten minutes in I could not take it anymore.  That style of play is just out of my range of patience now.

Moble

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 38 (171 Views)
0 Likes