Reply
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 05/24/2013
Offline
1050 posts
 

Re: question regarding what "time" is

[ Edited ]
Oct 14, 2013

 

Courage is saddling up, even though your scared to death.

Atari 2600, ColecoVision, NES, Genesis, Saturn, Sega CD, PS1, PS2, PS3 (2), DS, PSP, 360, PS4, VITA
Message 41 of 67 (79 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 04/04/2013
Online
3921 posts
 

Re: question regarding what "time" is

Oct 14, 2013

Its the future,,  Time is relative to the things arouund us it reacts as if you are standing still and everythng else is moving. If you could travel at the speed of light for one hour and stoped buy some one that was beside you when you took off. that person would experence one hour of time reltive to your experience of 0 time. E=mc2 You just became the first time traveler. what did you travel through NOTHING.


Getting Older doesn't mean it's GAME OVER
It's a better idea to buy games for your PS4
Than to buy a New Console for your PS4
Message 42 of 67 (71 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 10/09/2013
Offline
590 posts
 

Re: question regarding what "time" is

[ Edited ]
Oct 14, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

Time is a human construct, made up by the human mind to provide explanation for certain things.

 

It does not, in and of itself, exist.


this is pretty much what the counterargument was to my assumption that time is a real thing but we just label it. i find it hard to believe that time is "nothing" because there are chronological events? assuming that there's not some way-out-of-my-league metaphysical dimension stuff going on, christopher columbus isn't going to sail across the atlantic again, nobody's going to invent the printing press again. these things already happened, so just because we give it more or less a label doesn't make it any less linear and real?

ferguson is a weird name for an iraqi village
Message 43 of 67 (65 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 10/09/2013
Offline
590 posts
 

Re: question regarding what "time" is

[ Edited ]
Oct 14, 2013

JohnKarnes wrote:

Its the future,,  Time is relative to the things arouund us it reacts as if you are standing still and everythng else is moving. If you could travel at the speed of light for one hour and stoped buy some one that was beside you when you took off. that person would experence one hour of time reltive to your experience of 0 time. E=mc2 You just became the first time traveler. what did you travel through NOTHING.


i'm not really sure i follow that line of logic. if i traveled at the speed of light for an hour, i would've just simply traveled much faster than another person for an hour? if i sit down and watch an hour program on tv (such as sleepy hollow as i so plan to watch tonight), an hour still passes? it doesn't matter what i do, or how fast i perceived it thanks to enjoyment or whatever else...is it not the same amount of time? i really think the science-y stuff should be followed up with some citations or something because a lot of it sounds like scifi. 

ferguson is a weird name for an iraqi village
Message 44 of 67 (63 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 10/02/2008
Offline
14612 posts
 

Re: question regarding what "time" is

Oct 14, 2013

I am not understanding some of the points here. People are saying that time is just made up. Now, I understands saying that when it comes to the measurement of time, but it is well understood that time is very real. What happened in the past is something that came before what happened now. 

 

My understanding of time can be based in events. For example, the expansion of the universe was a first event. The formation of our galaxy came later. The formation of our solar system came later than that. The formation of Earth came later than that. And we came later than that. 

 

There is a timeline and it has the events in order of "first to present". 


Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 45 of 67 (53 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 04/04/2013
Online
3921 posts
 

Re: question regarding what "time" is

Oct 14, 2013

Is time real that unknown.  What came first Time or the Universe also unknown. Science is on both sides and in the middle. was time born with the universe? Then you can say without mass there is no time. Was time first? How can you have time when there is nothing.

Did mass or the universe come first and create time. Maybe some day we will know. but for now its not known.


Getting Older doesn't mean it's GAME OVER
It's a better idea to buy games for your PS4
Than to buy a New Console for your PS4
Message 46 of 67 (50 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 10/02/2008
Offline
14612 posts
 

Re: question regarding what "time" is

Oct 14, 2013

JohnKarnes wrote:

Is time real that unknown.  What came first Time or the Universe also unknown. Science is on both sides and in the middle. was time born with the universe? Then you can say without mass there is no time. Was time first? How can you have time when there is nothing.

Did mass or the universe come first and create time. Maybe some day we will know. but for now its not known.


The standard big bang model is what most evidence backs and it says that time came into fruition with the big bang.


Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 47 of 67 (47 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 06/08/2013
Offline
3578 posts
 

Re: question regarding what "time" is

Oct 14, 2013

I think of time as the expansion of the universe, if that makes sense (I would try to elaborate but what I would say woudn't make sense). I also think of it as the position of the Earth as it spins on it's axis and orbits the sun. I pretty much just said the obvious. Smiley Tongue

Message 48 of 67 (43 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 10/02/2008
Offline
14612 posts
 

Re: question regarding what "time" is

Oct 14, 2013

userusb wrote:

I think of time as the expansion of the universe, if that makes sense (I would try to elaborate but what I would say woudn't make sense). I also think of it as the position of the Earth as it spins on it's axis and orbits the sun. I pretty much just said the obvious. Smiley Tongue


The orbit around the sun is just our measurement of it. The expansion is just the enlargement of space that time may be seen in.

 

Time starts at the expansion and then continues as a potential infinite. 


Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 49 of 67 (41 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 04/04/2013
Online
3921 posts
 

Re: question regarding what "time" is

Oct 14, 2013

hannah-goes-rawr wrote:

JohnKarnes wrote:

Its the future,,  Time is relative to the things arouund us it reacts as if you are standing still and everythng else is moving. If you could travel at the speed of light for one hour and stoped buy some one that was beside you when you took off. that person would experence one hour of time reltive to your experience of 0 time. E=mc2 You just became the first time traveler. what did you travel through NOTHING.


i'm not really sure i follow that line of logic. if i traveled at the speed of light for an hour, i would've just simply traveled much faster than another person for an hour? if i sit down and watch an hour program on tv (such as sleepy hollow as i so plan to watch tonight), an hour still passes? it doesn't matter what i do, or how fast i perceived it thanks to enjoyment or whatever else...is it not the same amount of time? i really think the science-y stuff should be followed up with some citations or something because a lot of it sounds like scifi. 


  You like everyone thinks of time from their own view.  Its not the same  for everyone is all im saying. The faster you travel your time will run slower campaired to mine if im moveing at a slower speed. Clocks in satellites run slower and have to be reset to earth time because of the speed they travel.

All this gotta be  easy to google.  Its just stuff i pick up reading and watching science shows..


Getting Older doesn't mean it's GAME OVER
It's a better idea to buy games for your PS4
Than to buy a New Console for your PS4
Message 50 of 67 (38 Views)
Reply
0 Likes