Fender Bender
3694 posts

Re: question regarding what "time" is

Oct 14, 2013

Time maybe mass in motion clocks on high speed object run slower. Thats about as bisic as you can get.

Getting Older doesn't mean it's GAME OVER
It's a better idea to buy games for your PS4
Than to buy a New Console for your PS4
Message 31 of 67 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14608 posts

Oct 14, 2013

JohnKarnes wrote:

Time maybe mass in motion clocks on high speed object run slower. Thats about as bisic as you can get.

Maybe in the future, we will understand what you just typed.

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 32 of 67 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
36244 posts

Oct 14, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

To be fair, those are hardly theories you wish to follow currently.

They assume a different theory of time that has no evidence. Essentially, it assumes that every new instant is a new time line. The "you" of this second is not the "you" of the next one. It provides a funny question of accountability if proven true. "I was a different me when the bob-mauls of that moment killed him!"

But yeah, the theory with the most evidence and scholars behind it would be the theory we all acknowledge as true. There is one timeline and we are on it until we die.

Agreed.  There are plenty of theories of what happens in alternate timelines and dimensions, wormholes, and all of that.  Until proven, it all remains guesswork.

As for the "face value" thing, when Einstein presented his Theory of Relativity, it was just his words.  He had absolutely no footnotes, links to other peoples' work, or references of any sort.

So just because someone doesn't include a reference, that doesn't make it wrong.  And just because a theory is referenced all the time by everyone, that doesn't mean it's right.

Message 33 of 67 (84 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14608 posts

Oct 14, 2013

DrGadget wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

To be fair, those are hardly theories you wish to follow currently.

They assume a different theory of time that has no evidence. Essentially, it assumes that every new instant is a new time line. The "you" of this second is not the "you" of the next one. It provides a funny question of accountability if proven true. "I was a different me when the bob-mauls of that moment killed him!"

But yeah, the theory with the most evidence and scholars behind it would be the theory we all acknowledge as true. There is one timeline and we are on it until we die.

Agreed.  There are plenty of theories of what happens in alternate timelines and dimensions, wormholes, and all of that.  Until proven, it all remains guesswork.

As for the "face value" thing, when Einstein presented his Theory of Relativity, it was just his words.  He had absolutely no footnotes, links to other peoples' work, or references of any sort.

So just because someone doesn't include a reference, that doesn't make it wrong.  And just because a theory is referenced all the time by everyone, that doesn't mean it's right.

I agree with you about references, but when we are on a forum about video games, I assume that few people on here can form their own theories of the universe scientifically Smiley Very Happy

And I would also assume some validity would be attributed to the other theories. While Einstein's theory was not accepted instantly, it still had backing. Wormhole stuff is usually perpetuated by authors/blogger scholars. 

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 34 of 67 (77 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
573 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 14, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

DrGadget wrote:

I agree with you about references, but when we are on a forum about video games, I assume that few people on here can form their own theories of the universe scientifically Smiley Very Happy

we use references because because face value is meaningless. you can always reference your own education or your own publications/journals - but Star Trek is not reliable scientific info Smiley Happy

ferguson is a weird name for an iraqi village
Message 35 of 67 (71 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1050 posts

Oct 14, 2013

Time is a way for mankind to calculate and determine history and possibly the future.

It allows a uniform structure with a common knowledge for people to sync.

People from thousands of years ago understood this with the suns position, the position of the moon and stars.

Using structures large and small utilizing shadows to keep track and log the events.

Over "Time" they understood the days would start to become longer or shorter and planned

their plantings and harvesting accordingly.

Wow I think it's time I end this.

Courage is saddling up, even though your scared to death.

Atari 2600, ColecoVision, NES, Genesis, Saturn, Sega CD, PS1, PS2, PS3 (2), DS, PSP, 360, PS4, VITA
Message 36 of 67 (64 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
819 posts

Oct 14, 2013
wait...Im confused. are we talking about the measurement of time or the actual process of moving forward through time?
Message 37 of 67 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5476 posts

Oct 14, 2013

lauranichole25 wrote:
wait...Im confused. are we talking about the measurement of time or the actual process of moving forward through time?

This is supposed to be both, I think, but, people got stuck on measurement, as many of us think of time as nothing but a measurement.  You don't wade through time like a kiddie pool.  You can't flap your arms and move faster through it - it's not a "thing".

Grindhead_Jim

Message 38 of 67 (54 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
819 posts

Oct 14, 2013

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

lauranichole25 wrote:

This is supposed to be both, I think, but, people got stuck on measurement, as many of us think of time as nothing but a measurement.  You don't wade through time like a kiddie pool.  You can't flap your arms and move faster through it - it's not a "thing".

Oh ok cool. Well then in that case I would say that the measurement is a perception specific to us. We humans preceve all of our senses differently than other creatures...I mean insects and hawks see into the uv spectrum. We hear things in different ranges that other animals..and so on. But as I understand the mechanism of time as a dimension..I think that all it is is the vibration of molecules provided by heat energy and affected by other variables. For example time passes slower on Earth over the equator than it does in other places and satellites have to adjust for that in gps systems...As for the heat I believe that at absolute 0 molecules stop moving therefore the passing of time stops. I could be wrong tho..this stuffs way out of my league..
Message 39 of 67 (50 Views)
MVP Support
13558 posts

Oct 14, 2013

Time is a human construct, made up by the human mind to provide explanation for certain things.

It does not, in and of itself, exist.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 40 of 67 (47 Views)