Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
13331 posts

Re: question regarding what "time" is

Oct 14, 2013

docshady wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

Time is a human construct, made up by the human mind to provide explanation for certain things.

It does not, in and of itself, exist.

I actually have to disagree with this.  I look at time like I look at numbers and math.  Man created numbers, and mathematics.  Now the mathematics of this or that was the same 100,000 years ago as they are today.  We created mathematics to help explain things around us.

The concept of time was created to explain the passing of events, seasons, and so on.  " the measure of durations of events and the intervals between them."

But you do not deny that there is a past, present, and future. That is what is really being argued by some people. You know there is a timeline that we are on and past events are behind where we are at currently.

Welcoming Committee Twitter
Message 61 of 67 (77 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1030 posts

Oct 14, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

docshady wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

Time is a human construct, made up by the human mind to provide explanation for certain things.

I actually have to disagree with this.  I look at time like I look at numbers and math.  Man created numbers, and mathematics.  Now the mathematics of this or that was the same 100,000 years ago as they are today.  We created mathematics to help explain things around us.

The concept of time was created to explain the passing of events, seasons, and so on.  " the measure of durations of events and the intervals between them."

But you do not deny that there is a past, present, and future. That is what is really being argued by some people. You know there is a timeline that we are on and past events are behind where we are at currently.

Agreed.  There is a past, present.  I don't believe in the existence of the future (in the same context of past and present).  The future will come but is not set (a bit of a contradiction of the last sentence but you see where I'm going with this).  We can perceive what the future will be, but it doesn't exist.

The past is what was, the present is what is, the future is what could be based on the present events only.  Its only perception.

Call me an armchair physicist but I believe time is a constant, a never changing dimension that existed before the universe.

doc shady signature
Message 62 of 67 (76 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13331 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 14, 2013

docshady wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

docshady wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

Agreed.  There is a past, present.  I don't believe in the existence of the future (in the same context of past and present).  The future will come but is not set (a bit of a contradiction of the last sentence but you see where I'm going with this).  We can perceive what the future will be, but it doesn't exist.

The past is what was, the present is what is, the future is what could be based on the present events only.  Its only perception.

Call me an armchair physicist but I believe time is a constant, a never changing dimension that existed before the universe.

Exactly. Past existed. Present is now. And the future is to come.

Essentially, time is a potential infinite. It started in the past and will keep going on forever.

Message 63 of 67 (73 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1030 posts

Oct 14, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

docshady wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

docshady wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

Essentially, time is a potential infinite. It started in the past and will keep going on forever.

I think you are dead on Bob.  Of course, it will take greater folks then us to prove this but I believe this is right.

doc shady signature
Message 64 of 67 (67 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3522 posts

Oct 14, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

docshady wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

docshady wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

Please know, I'm only looking to start an intellectual conversation, not an argument or anything. nor am I disagreeing with bob. ^_^

But what if the past were to be repeated? Let's say the fate of the universe is the Big Crunch, when the universe is contracting, time would reverse. How can the past be the future?

Message 65 of 67 (62 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13331 posts

Oct 14, 2013

userusb wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

docshady wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

docshady wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

Please know, I'm only looking to start an intellectual conversation, not an argument or anything. nor am I disagreeing with bob. ^_^

But what if the past were to be repeated? Let's say the fate of the universe is the Big Crunch, when the universe is contracting, time would reverse. How can the past be the future?

I would just say that would not happen! But I guess you could say that time would be like a circle and keep repeating. The past would be the future in all scenarios. But again, I have not seen any model of the universe where that works.

Message 66 of 67 (56 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3522 posts

Oct 15, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

userusb wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

docshady wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

docshady wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

I would just say that would not happen! But I guess you could say that time would be like a circle and keep repeating. The past would be the future in all scenarios. But again, I have not seen any model of the universe where that works.

It is one of the theories of the fate of the universe. I'm sure you know about them.

Message 67 of 67 (50 Views)
0 Likes