Welcoming Committee
14608 posts

Re: ... politics

Oct 9, 2013

JASONxxVOORHEES wrote:
Other countries laugh at us the same amount we laugh at other countries and same amount they laugh at each other...

Please don't fall into the missconception that the "rest of the world is laughing at us" means we are the laughing stock of the planet or are somehow failures...

Also I feel like when it comes to China, the reason they are so willing to 'loan' us money is because we outsourced our economy to them.

Nope. China is just like a bank. They loan out money to people they know will be able to make some return on it. In that sense, we are still a very safe investment because of our economic size. It also gives them some power over us without fearing we will default on the loans. Want to talk about defaulting on loans? Post-World War Europe would have much to say! Finland was a great exception to the rule, but these guys defaulted. 

But Europe mocks us in the same way we may mock Canada. There really is little to mock thanks to globalization making them fat like us. And making fun of our intelligence is hilarious when they are some of the biggest fans of our reality TV shows. And they like our culture a lot. The idea of Hollywood and our entertainment industry. When it comes down to it, they have very little to mock.

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 11 of 43 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4945 posts

Oct 9, 2013
"Politicians and fried chicken..."
 photo sig_zpsfya567e6.jpg
Message 12 of 43 (124 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19028 posts

Oct 9, 2013

The real truth is about the closure of the national parks is that the orders came from the white house office and administration, not the GOP. Funny to say, because the democrats keep trying to play the blame the republicans game over the national park closure. It has been confirmed by twitter tweets:

http://twitchy.com/2013/10/02/barry-cades-confirmed-park-service-says-obama-admin-ordered-closure-of...

photo 683842d5-5deb-4335-8bcb-5b2166398090_zpsafb7b8da.jpg
Message 13 of 43 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
856 posts

Oct 9, 2013

hwhunt13 wrote:

The real truth is about the closure of the national parks is that the orders came from the white house office and administration, not the GOP. Funny to say, because the democrats keep trying to play the blame the republicans game over the national park closure. It has been confirmed by twitter tweets:

http://twitchy.com/2013/10/02/barry-cades-confirmed-park-service-says-obama-admin-ordered-closure-of...

I guess I know which party you're in.  I can't believe the Republicans decided to shutdown the government because they don't like Obamacare.  Democrats right now are the least of the two evils in government. 

Message 14 of 43 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
7961 posts

Oct 9, 2013
Funny, I'm not a Republican and I'm against "the affordable heathcare act"...

As it turns out, I'm against being forced to pay for things I don't want or need.. Kinda the reason I'm not buying the X1/kinect...
Hey That Chris signature
Message 15 of 43 (96 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Oct 9, 2013

Look, extremist views in any direction are problematic.

If you point a finger at either party, then you are part of the reason that there is no progress in this country's political climate.  If you call yourself a Democrat or a Republican, you are flat-out out of your mind.  On that one, I am not budging.  You play right into a two party system that is designed to do nothing more than deadlock the American political culture/discussion.

Show me a truly intelligent political discussion, and I'll show you people not uttering phrases like "liberal", "conservative", "Republcican", and "Democrat".

Good day.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 16 of 43 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
55074 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 9, 2013

JASONxxVOORHEES wrote:
Shouldn't we pay more attention to the "whos and whats" of our government?

Discuss...

Yes we should.

The problem is information sources are highly biased.   People turing to the majority of media in the United States are only going to get the view point of one side of the political spectrum and one political party's views...those being the liberal side and the Democrat party's views. 

Its really hard to get good info.  Typically I have to go to 3 or 4 sources from the USA then check out what some people in other country's media are saying.  After that you can generally pull out the truth from the biased opinions.  

Message 17 of 43 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3825 posts

Oct 9, 2013

I can say that I do not affiliate with any political party.

KZMProductionsGT
Message 18 of 43 (78 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
55074 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 9, 2013

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

Look, extremist views in any direction are problematic.

If you point a finger at either party, then you are part of the reason that there is no progress in this country's political climate.  If you call yourself a Democrat or a Republican, you are flat-out out of your mind.  On that one, I am not budging.  You play right into a two party system that is designed to do nothing more than deadlock the American political culture/discussion.

Show me a truly intelligent political discussion, and I'll show you people not uttering phrases like "liberal", "conservative", "Republcican", and "Democrat".

Good day.

I'm a constitutionalist myself.   The party that comes closest to representing me are the Libertarians.

HOWEVER,  I would never describe myself as a "Democrat, Republican, Libertarian" or any specific party.  I prefer not to limit my views like that.

Message 19 of 43 (77 Views)
Welcoming Committee
14608 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 9, 2013

I agree fully with Jim.

I do not want to be associated with any party since none of them follow closely to my ideals.

Republicans? They are too radical now. I love free markets and capitalism, but I also see the flaw in ending all the regulation and I also believe in some programs (albeit cut).

Democrats? They are even worse! They take Keynesian economics to a new extreme! The market is not the government's playground and the government should only get into the market to fix its failures (negative externalities that cause issues for people outside of a market transaction, for example). And they are now crossing into the post-modernist mindset that makes me want to punch people in the face.

Libertarians are...ehh. They are ruthless men and women of the market. No government assistance to anyone. You got laid off? Well, you should have looked into the position more and realized how expendable you were. You are poor with 5 children? No aid because it was your choice to have 5 children when you were so poor! Essentially, you should work hard and know the consequences for your choices. It will be all on you, for better, or for worse.

I would fall into the "right" in that I believe in free markets and the invisible hand whereas the left believes in a nanny state. I also believe in aid where it is due, but with restrictions in what it can be used for and for how long. 

In practive, I see many failures in each. Libertarians typically overlook the negative externalities that are formed by having so few regulations. Cut corners and disasters. Republicans are too skewed in conservatism and military spending does not need to be so high. And the Democrat ideals are bloating the government and sending our economy to a massive explosion with all the programs. there is a reason that social security and the like were made to be temporary programs, and there are reasons meddling in the economy too much will cause problems.

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 20 of 43 (63 Views)
0 Likes