18648 posts

Re: overclocking

Jan 2, 2007

Jakester14 wrote:

Hybrid oo7 wrote:

Jakester14 wrote:

Hybrid oo7 wrote:

GunnerZer0 wrote:
I think overclocking is putting more stuff on your comp than the memory has room for. It slows it down drastically. That's just what I always thought. But I'm no computer whiz either.

It's like reving your engine up in your car for more performance. Drawbacks, reving to much can blow the engine (destroy the chip), uses more fuel (electricity).

What it does is increase the clock frequency to boost performance. On the CPU it's more processing power, for the GPU it's more frames per second.

I've downloaded that progam about the video card a while back,but is there any realiable programs for my CPU?
I need more FPS Smiley Tongue

Message Edited by Jakester14 on 01-01-2007 04:55 PM

CPU won't increase the frames per second. But most people usually overclock their CPU in the BIOS. Sorry I'm not aware of a good program for the processor.

ah I see,thanks anyway

Thats a lie. The CPU increase will give you a small FPS increase like 1-3 fps. As for overclocking a cpu, usually you have to use the BIOS but if you bought something from hp or sony then your bios is locked meaning you can't overclock your cpu but you can still overclock your graphics card. For graphics card use rivatuner. I been overclocking for years and never have problems. Who ever tell you overclocking is bad don't know squat about it.
Message 21 of 26 (1 View)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
18648 posts

Jan 2, 2007

Carmaster wrote:
I have a VGA Unichrome IGP GPU... I think. My computer is very vague.

Where did you get your computer? Thats one of Via's integrated cards.
Message 22 of 26 (1 View)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17115 posts

Jan 2, 2007

aznsniper911 wrote:

Jakester14 wrote:

Hybrid oo7 wrote:

Jakester14 wrote:

Hybrid oo7 wrote:

GunnerZer0 wrote:
I think overclocking is putting more stuff on your comp than the memory has room for. It slows it down drastically. That's just what I always thought. But I'm no computer whiz either.

It's like reving your engine up in your car for more performance. Drawbacks, reving to much can blow the engine (destroy the chip), uses more fuel (electricity).

What it does is increase the clock frequency to boost performance. On the CPU it's more processing power, for the GPU it's more frames per second.

I've downloaded that progam about the video card a while back,but is there any realiable programs for my CPU?

CPU won't increase the frames per second. But most people usually overclock their CPU in the BIOS. Sorry I'm not aware of a good program for the processor.

ah I see,thanks anyway

Thats a lie. The CPU increase will give you a small FPS increase like 1-3 fps. As for overclocking a cpu, usually you have to use the BIOS but if you bought something from hp or sony then your bios is locked meaning you can't overclock your cpu but you can still overclock your graphics card. For graphics card use rivatuner. I been overclocking for years and never have problems. Who ever tell you overclocking is bad don't know squat about it.

I never noticed a increase in FPS while overclocking the CPU. Perhaps by overclocking the CPU it indirectly helped the process of rendering the image. But the job of displaying the image and the speed will never directly be effected the clock speed of the CPU.
Photobucket
Message 23 of 26 (1 View)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
18648 posts

Jan 2, 2007

Hybrid oo7 wrote:
I never noticed a increase in FPS while overclocking the CPU. Perhaps by overclocking the CPU it indirectly helped the process of rendering the image. But the job of displaying the image and the speed will never directly be effected the clock speed of the CPU.

Thats why I said small, it will give you a small incaease but it's helpful for those with computers that are quite slow. Clock speed no but the architecure of the cpu is a big one and we all seen thise with the transition from the  prescott to Conore.
Message 24 of 26 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3182 posts

Jan 2, 2007

aznsniper911 wrote:

Jakester14 wrote:

Hybrid oo7 wrote:

Jakester14 wrote:

Hybrid oo7 wrote:

GunnerZer0 wrote:

ah I see,thanks anyway

what about emachines
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 25 of 26 (1 View)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Ghost of Sparta
18648 posts

Jan 2, 2007

supersonicman wrote:
what about emachines

No the bios are locked in those. You can't overclock your cpu but most likely you can overclock your graphics card.
Message 26 of 26 (1 View)
0 Likes