Re: need help choosing laptop

Nov 28, 2006

DrGadget wrote:

wrote:

DrGadget wrote:

wrote:

DrGadget wrote:

wrote:

Sorry, it runs Windows. Therefore its no good for video editing.

A Mac runs that OS-n00b 1.2 so it is no good for anything other than the butt of a joke.  BTW, Bill Gates owns Apple now.  Ha ha.  Now how can you kiss the apple?

Heh.  The Mac computer... It can only interface with a tomagochi.  And the mouse has one really big button so as not to confuse all the groupies users.

Right click?  What is this "right click" of which you speak?  Your words have no meaning!  This does not serve Vaal.  Leave our village at once.  Landru, help us!  Landruuuuuu!

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Sorry, I have to go do the daily virus scan and spyware sweep on my Windows systems now.

Mac OS won't support viruses until next year.  Viruses need at least 16-bit instructions.

Stop trying to be a troll. It really just makes you look stupid.

Pssst!  You're the one quoting me.  See my original post in the center?  You're the troll.

Have a nice day, Gordo.

How was I trolling? I was telling the truth. It's a fact that Windows sucks for video editing. He said he wanted to do video editing, so I recommended the Mac  and simply pointed out that you recommended a Windows machine which wouldn't be good for video editing.. Then you come in here trolling and spewing all kinds of BS that isn't even true (like the 1 button mouse thing).
Friends don't let friends buy Bose

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html
Message 21 of 25 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3059 posts

Nov 28, 2006

DrGadget wrote:

Vedel Minashigo wrote:
No one is answering the kids question.....and no one has asked what kind of BUDGET he has.  Doesn't matter if it IS a mac or a standard PC...it's about price.  Odds are he wants it cheaper if possible but.....we'd need an estimate to even BEGIN to help. 

On a sidenote:  You're both lame as hell.  Who argues about PC's anymore?  It's not even a debate....they're both good at seperate things entirely. 

I really don't care if he gets a mac.  Mac fanboys take it so personal.  It's just a computer.  Buy either one and it will be obsolete in two years.  It doesn't matter if it's an obsolete PC or an obsolete mac.

But you're absolutely right.  He didn't give enough detail to guide him properly.  I only offered my experience because it was fast and cheap.  At the extremes, either get the fastest computer imaginable (obsolete in 4 years instead of 2) for $5000, or get the cheapest one possible and not even worry about speed.  Some people have the luxury of choosing from the middle of the pack.  Right now, Intel beats AMD rather soundly. 

I haven't even seen stats recently on mac performance.  Didn't they stop making unique processors for macs last year?  I know some of them have Intel chips.  Pretty soon they will all have "PC" type CPU's.  Then it's really just a difference of operating system.  So then you could choose Apple OS, Windows, or Linux.  Most regular people use Windows.  I work with hundreds of computer programmers.  I don't know of any who use Apple.  I do know of some who swear by Linux though.  I just never used it myself.

That's stupid. Computers do not become "obsolete" in two years time. My six year old Coppermine Celeron 1.1GHz system with 256MB of RAM + Windows XP would still be running modern software, just no games obviously, if it hadn't been burned up in a power surge. Right now my laptop has a Turion64 @2GHz, a 128MB DirectX9 hardware capable GPU, 1GB of RAM, etc. I know that if I threw Windows Vista on here and upped it to 2GHz it would easily take me to 2010, just no gaming obviously. It can run 1080p H.264 video and maxes at 60% CPU usage doing such a task. So I know it has plenty of horsepower to last for years.

It's silly to say that hardware becomes "obsolete" so fast. I'd still be using that old system if it hadn't been destroyed. Why? Because it got the job done. It recorded DVD quality video, it let me listen to music, browse the web, email people, etc.

You may not know anyone who uses Macs (unlikely, I call BS if you supposedly "know hundreds of programmers), but millions of Macs are sold every year and Apple is on track to become the #3 PC manufacturer by next summer.

Apple never used "unique" processors either. The processors they have used were always used in other applications. For example, the Xbox360 is basically using a G5. The PS3's Cell is built off of PowerPC architecture, and the Wii is built around G4/PowerPC architecture as well. With the exception of the Cell, Apple switched to Intel processors because they are now faster. But not only that, it was a good marketing move. Apple now has the only computer in the world that can run the worlds best OS (Mac OS X), Linux, and Windows. It also won't be too long before Windows is emulated at full speed with full support under OS X. So not only do you get the security, stability, usability, and a modern OS in OS X, but you get the compatibility of Windows. It won't take long for people to see that Macs come with a complete software package that isn't bloatware/adware like Dell or requires you to spend hundreds extra on software just to be able to use your system, but they'll see that all of their old software they have already acquired runs IN OS X.

Message 22 of 25 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6298 posts

Nov 28, 2006
definitely go for a mac if your into photo and video editing, just check out their website and pick one you feel best fits you

Image hosting by Photobucket
Message 23 of 25 (1 View)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10631 posts

Nov 28, 2006
If you're into video editing and want a laptop, a Macbook Pro is hands down the best choice.  Not only do you get iMovie included, but if you're doing some heavy duty editing, you could always get Final Cut Pro.  The Core Duos handle video editing with ease.
Message 24 of 25 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3059 posts

Nov 28, 2006

Spo8 wrote:
If you're into video editing and want a laptop, a Macbook Pro is hands down the best choice.  Not only do you get iMovie included, but if you're doing some heavy duty editing, you could always get Final Cut Pro.  The Core Duos handle video editing with ease.

All Apple laptops come with Core 2 Duos now

Message 25 of 25 (1 View)
0 Likes