Ghost of Sparta
17115 posts

Re: linksys. wireless router (wrt54g) NEED HELP

Jan 2, 2007

Sn4ke wrote:

Hybrid oo7 wrote:

Sn4ke wrote:
Wireless isn't very good when it comes to speed. If it really bothers you, just plug in your cable modem directly every time you go on the computer.
I personally need a wireless router to go online with my PS2. The only reason I'm not getting a wired router is because my PS2 is incredibly far from my computer.

False. If you are using g wireless which is at 54 mbps, the transfer rate is well above the speed of cable or DSL (which is average around 3-5 mbps). It might add a couple of miliseconds onto the latency if anything.

Go into the router configuration page (http://192.168.1.1) and go into Applications & Gaming > DMZ and enable it to the computers IP.

I've been Pwned

How much is a wireless G router?

You can find them cheap on the net. Around 50 bucks. I love the version 2 through 4 since you can use DD-WRT firmware with it. I have one acting as a repeater so it extends my range.
Photobucket
Message 11 of 19 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1981 posts

Jan 2, 2007
y dont u connet it from the modem if the 2 are right next to each other
Message 12 of 19 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3325 posts

Jan 2, 2007

Hybrid oo7 wrote:

Sn4ke wrote:

Hybrid oo7 wrote:

Sn4ke wrote:
Wireless isn't very good when it comes to speed. If it really bothers you, just plug in your cable modem directly every time you go on the computer.
I personally need a wireless router to go online with my PS2. The only reason I'm not getting a wired router is because my PS2 is incredibly far from my computer.

False. If you are using g wireless which is at 54 mbps, the transfer rate is well above the speed of cable or DSL (which is average around 3-5 mbps). It might add a couple of miliseconds onto the latency if anything.

Go into the router configuration page (http://192.168.1.1) and go into Applications & Gaming > DMZ and enable it to the computers IP.

I've been Pwned

You can find them cheap on the net. Around 50 bucks. I love the version 2 through 4 since you can use DD-WRT firmware with it. I have one acting as a repeater so it extends my range.

Totally lost, but sounds good

Do you use the router for gaming?
Message 13 of 19 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17115 posts

Jan 2, 2007

Sn4ke wrote:

Hybrid oo7 wrote:

Sn4ke wrote:

Hybrid oo7 wrote:

Sn4ke wrote:

I've been Pwned

Totally lost, but sounds good

Do you use the router for gaming?

PC Gaming.
Photobucket
Message 14 of 19 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
18887 posts

Jan 2, 2007
What is the version of the router and firmware?
Message 15 of 19 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17115 posts

Jan 2, 2007

coreno wrote:

Assuming since he bought it yesterday perhaps v6.0. Although, you never know.

I don't know if a firmware upgrade would solve this issue but it won't hurt (well), unless he bricks the router.

Message Edited by Hybrid oo7 on 01-01-2007 07:21 PM
Photobucket
Message 16 of 19 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3325 posts

Jan 2, 2007

Hybrid oo7 wrote:

coreno wrote:

I don't know if a firmware upgrade would solve this issue but it won't hurt (well), unless he bricks the router.

bricking is when you unplug the router while it's still upgrading right?

and in order for me to use a wireless router for PS2 gaming, I'll need to also get a game adapter as well, right?
Message 17 of 19 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17115 posts

Jan 2, 2007

Sn4ke wrote:

Hybrid oo7 wrote:

coreno wrote:

and in order for me to use a wireless router for PS2 gaming, I'll need to also get a game adapter as well, right?

The WRT54G has LAN ports in the back if you want to ethernet to the console. Otherwise you need some kind of adapter to pick up the wireless signal. A game adapter can work if that's what you are looking into.
Photobucket
Message 18 of 19 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3325 posts

Jan 2, 2007

Hybrid oo7 wrote:

Sn4ke wrote:

Hybrid oo7 wrote:

coreno wrote:

The WRT54G has LAN ports in the back if you want to ethernet to the console. Otherwise you need some kind of adapter to pick up the wireless signal. A game adapter can work if that's what you are looking into.

Yeah, Running wires from my PS2 the the computer isn't good because I'll have to get a really long ethernet wire and it'll obstruct peoples walking path. Wireless connection sounds good to me. Plus, I can use the wireless connection for other things other than the PS2 such as PSP.
Message 19 of 19 (2 Views)
0 Likes