Jun 12 2013
By: Cyb3rfr34k-iso Lombax Warrior 104 posts

is ps+ mandatory to play online on the PS4

10 replies 152 views Edited Jun 12, 2013

i just watched the entire show and i dont really understand if ps+ is mandatory or not to play online?

actually even if i have to pay 50$ a years to get free new games on a brand new console generation, i guess its more than okay for me.

i mean i spend wayyy more than 50$ a years for games, so it's really a great deal.

but i would like to know if i heard well when he said that ps+ is not required to use any multimedia services... it wasnt really clear.

anyway i really want a PS4 now, i mean really Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 11 (152 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2375 posts

Re: is ps+ mandatory to play online on the PS4

[ Edited ]
Jun 12, 2013

The current understanding is that  PS+ is not required for stuff like Netflix, Hulu,  some f2p 1st party games, and other services. However, it is required for playing multiplayer.

Message 2 of 11 (146 Views)
Lombax Warrior
104 posts

Jun 12, 2013

so nobody know really huh... Smiley Tongue

Message 3 of 11 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4114 posts

Jun 12, 2013

PS+ is definitely needed to play Online MULTIPLAYER Games.

Some online games will not require it, nor will Single Player Games. (it's a per game details thing that more info is needed about)

PS+ is not required to use online features like messaging, sharing, chatting, Netflix, and other media apps.

Only Online MULTIPLAYER is stated as needing PS+, and only one PS+ account is needed per PS4 for all users on that PS4 to play Online Multiplayer.

Message 4 of 11 (111 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11298 posts

Jun 12, 2013
The answer of the title is yes.
Message 5 of 11 (106 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3091 posts

Jun 12, 2013

I'm not a fan of the PS+ membership, I've no interest in paying for early access or playing single-A PSN games for free.  I don't mind paying for multiplayer so long as it's stated what the money is used for.  I would rather have a slightly less expensive subscription that only contains the ability to play online.

Message 6 of 11 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4114 posts

Jun 12, 2013

MindAssassin wrote:

I'm not a fan of the PS+ membership, I've no interest in paying for early access or playing single-A PSN games for free.  I don't mind paying for multiplayer so long as it's stated what the money is used for.  I would rather have a slightly less expensive subscription that only contains the ability to play online.

Maybe they'll create something for y'all but thus far at least they have added the month version so one can buy to play just for a time, so maybe they'll give you something lesser for just online play, no games, no cloud saves, no ... whatever, just play CoD or whatever.

It's too bad you call PSN free games single-A games ... many games are fun to play, and the PS+ program has added more and more to it since IGC was instituted. Calling them A games makes you sound like a AAA only person who doesn't like exclusives, only multiplatform games. In any case, the $50 a year PS+ gives you more than games (that you do not have to take) you get the PS4 online play but also cloud saves and that is worth less than $5 a month alone when you divide the annual price into months.

Message 7 of 11 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
104 posts

Jun 12, 2013

do you guys have any references to official sources about having to subscribe to ps+ to have multiplayer fonctionality?

please

Message 8 of 11 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

Jun 12, 2013

ofvid.png

THE FINE PRINT

fineprint.png

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 9 of 11 (83 Views)
Fender Bender
3091 posts

Jun 13, 2013

Crazy-Maisy wrote:

MindAssassin wrote:

Maybe they'll create something for y'all but thus far at least they have added the month version so one can buy to play just for a time, so maybe they'll give you something lesser for just online play, no games, no cloud saves, no ... whatever, just play CoD or whatever.

It's too bad you call PSN free games single-A games ... many games are fun to play, and the PS+ program has added more and more to it since IGC was instituted. Calling them A games makes you sound like a AAA only person who doesn't like exclusives, only multiplatform games. In any case, the $50 a year PS+ gives you more than games (that you do not have to take) you get the PS4 online play but also cloud saves and that is worth less than $5 a month alone when you divide the annual price into months.

The term was more harsh than I intended it to be.  I recognize that there are people who feel like the PS+ is a great deal and they get a lot out of it.  I've just never had any interest in what it offered, and I'll have that constant slightly disgruntled feeling if I have to pay a subscription that includes services I don't want just to get the one thing I do.  That said, I used to play World of Warcraft so even a full PS+ subscription is digestible for me if they offer no other option.

Message 10 of 11 (56 Views)
0 Likes