Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 05 2013
By: Murderstyle75 Keyblade Wielder 9554 posts

iPhone glass replacement

5 replies 79 views Edited Dec 5, 2013
I'm kicking myself in the **bleep** right now because I dropped my iphone on the cement without the protecter and shattered the screen. Apple wants $200 to replace it, Amazon sells a kit for around $60 and a repair store quoted me $65 for new glass. Another store quoted me $85.

Has anybody else been through this? Thinking about taking it to one of the stores and having it repaired. I do know that Apple doesn't sell parts meaning it won't be authentic. I'm just wondering how close these replacement screens are compared to the original. I'm also dumping this phone when my contract is up in June since its only a 4S. I wonder how much if, this would degrade the resale value of this phone since I know they still very much cost at least $450 new.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 6 (79 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12266 posts

Re: iPhone glass replacement

Dec 5, 2013
You can't just replace the glass in an iPhone, you have to replace the whole display. The reason for this is that the glass is glued to the display. You can pry the glass off but it required heating and will ruin the underlying display. So make sure the kits/stores are actually replacing the whole display assembly, not just the glass as that doesn't work. In terms of resale value, having a working, non-cracked display will increase the resale value by a good $200. You can sell an iPhone for parts but you'll get about $150-$200 for it whereas you can easily pull in $400-$500 especially if you have an unlocked AT&T model. If you're on Verizon, the resale value is about $300 for a fully working iPhone 4S.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 6 (77 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9554 posts

Dec 5, 2013
I know its the whole display and is what the repair guy told me. He also said the screen will be after market because Apple doesn't sell parts. I'm just hoping that the replacement won't be any different than the original.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 6 (74 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3501 posts

Dec 5, 2013

Have you looked around to see if you could buy a whole 4s on the cheap, maybe one with a broken back glass, or scrambled brain then you could harvest the parts you need knowing they are authentic?

OR do you have any friends with 5's that tossed their 4s in a drawer and forgotten about it?

Just a couple ideas.

Bummer situation, good luck.

The truth will set you free... But it may sting a bit...
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 6 (65 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9554 posts

Dec 5, 2013
Well I do know a guy with an iPhone 4 that he can no longer activate and just uses it as a media player. Still haven't got a call back yet though. Is it easy to change the screen myself from his phone if he sells it to me? I just can't see giving Apple $200 for a phone I'm only keeping for another 6 months anyway and am worried that the aftermarket screen won't live up to my expectations.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 6 (62 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3501 posts

Dec 5, 2013

Seems fairly straight forward.

Great step by step:

The truth will set you free... But it may sting a bit...
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 6 (58 Views)
0 Likes