MVP Support
12476 posts

Re: how many people skip over LONG posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 5, 2013

It depends entirely on the novel in question. Some are interesting (i.e., worth reading) while others are not.

Those who like to type long paragraphs and attempt to get some discussion going in the forums should feel free to express themselves (within the rules of conduct of course). Those who don’t like to read these long paragraphs should feel free to exit these threads quietly and refrain from being disrespectful with their unnecessary “TL;DR” comments. You aren’t contributing to a topic when you post things like this.

PlayStation Consumer Services and Technical Support: 1-800-345-7669

PlayStation Account and Billing Support: 1-877-971-7669

Twitter: @Sweet13Poison | YouTube: Sweetest13Poison | Twitch: Sweet13Poison

Message 11 of 24 (132 Views)
VP of Gaming
34135 posts

Mar 5, 2013

spyder_21 wrote:
As the topic states. Are you one of the people that see a long post and just skip it, or do you read the novel they have posted?

Either who created it, or just someone replying. That has posted 3,4,5 paragraphs and more.

tl;dr

Message 12 of 24 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
55022 posts

Mar 5, 2013

spyder_21 wrote:
As the topic states. Are you one of the people that see a long post and just skip it, or do you read the novel they have posted?

Either who created it, or just someone replying. That has posted 3,4,5 paragraphs and more.

It depends on the subject matter.   If I'm truly interested I'll read it, if not I'll usually skim it...then if its interesting after a skim read it, if not i typically move on.

I know a lot of people do what you ask and skip long posts which is why I try to keep what I have to say concise.  Being pithy is key on a forum!

Message 13 of 24 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
680 posts

Mar 5, 2013
Yeah, I'm guilty. I know people may go through a lot of trouble or have been blessed with a long wind. Some really good points are made, but bigger isn't always better. Especially when you don't take yourself seriously. I guess it depends on the situation.
Message 14 of 24 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
13545 posts

Mar 5, 2013

spyder_21 wrote:

If I see a post that long in a thread I'm curious about, I'll give a glance. If it's quickly apparent that it's a rant on whatever subject, I simply go to the next post. If it's a well thought out and concise post by a mod, mvp, or another member on here that I know has a good rep for basic english and writing skills and makes their points supported with facts, I'll read the whole thing.

Message 15 of 24 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8267 posts

Mar 5, 2013

I usually post keep it short, quick and simple.

If its a long wall of text I am not gonna read it.

but then again if its something that I can relate to such as astronomy type stuff <3 then yeah ill sit and read.

Message 16 of 24 (96 Views)
Welcoming Committee
36435 posts

Mar 6, 2013

I use three main factors

1. If it's written by someone I really like, and trust there to be a point in there somewhere making it all worthwhile.

2. If it's not all one long paragraph or otherwise pulling teeth to read.

3. If it's a subject I'm really interested in.

Message 17 of 24 (79 Views)
MVP Support
39410 posts

Mar 6, 2013

DrGadget wrote:

I use three main factors

1. If it's written by someone I really like, and trust there to be a point in there somewhere making it all worthwhile.

2. If it's not all one long paragraph or otherwise pulling teeth to read.

3. If it's a subject I'm really interested in.

This is an interesting one, at least to me.

I agree with you too Dr, not that I skip past others, I'll try to help anyone if I can, but yes, if it's from someone we have got to know well through the Forums & built up some level of trust & respect then yes, that makes a difference too.

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 18 of 24 (67 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
8916 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 6, 2013

It must be written in paragraphs and grammar must be decent. 

If the writer is any good, I'll read the first sentenses of each paragraph. If it's interesting to me, I read the whole thing. 

id 69 signature

"How do you prove that you exist...? Maybe we don't exist..."

Message 19 of 24 (65 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Mar 7, 2013
More than 5 lines I skip, or at least just read the first two so I know if I'm interested on it. But mainly I just skip xD
Message 20 of 24 (31 Views)
0 Likes