Mar 04 2013
By: spyder_21 Gaming Beast 2146 posts

how many people skip over LONG posts

23 replies 169 views Edited Mar 4, 2013
As the topic states. Are you one of the people that see a long post and just skip it, or do you read the novel they have posted?

Either who created it, or just someone replying. That has posted 3,4,5 paragraphs and more.
I made this, want one for yourself? PM me
Message 1 of 24 (169 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
41786 posts

Re: how many people skip over LONG posts

Mar 4, 2013

First I have to click on a Thread & a lot of the time that will depend on the topic or the title of the Thread, people are sometimes 'crafty' naming their Threads such as 'help me', or 'what should I do?' etc, I'll generaly bite & take a look, occasionally I'll ignore a Thread, but very rarely, once I've clicked the Threa title & started reading I make a decision whether to reply to that Thread pretty quickly, but no,length has nothing to do with it, content does & if I can skip though the 'burble' to the actual issue I'll try to help.

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Message 2 of 24 (163 Views)
MVP Support
9838 posts

Mar 4, 2013

I will read a long post if it is well written and is interesting or informative. But I WILL NOT read a "Wall of Text" that has no paragraphs or punctualtion.

walloftext.jpg

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Message 3 of 24 (160 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

Mar 4, 2013
I skip like 80 to 90% of it. Just read like the last statement.

I don't have respect for people, that use short hand or can't use the letter I correctly.

I can't stand when they put cuz. The entire post or topic comes a complete turn off.
Message 4 of 24 (158 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
7546 posts

Mar 4, 2013

I skipped this whole thread and am just responding to the title Smiley Wink

No I do not read walls of text.  Unless it is in a topic I am truly interested in. Otherwise no.

Message 5 of 24 (150 Views)
Survivor
2547 posts

Mar 4, 2013
Three paragraphs is usually my max.
 photo IMG_0586_zps94omlljp.jpg
Message 6 of 24 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2375 posts

Mar 4, 2013
Not if the topic is an important one to me. I read what interests me, regardless of how long or short the post is. If something is generally boring, it's less likely I will waste my time reading it.
Message 7 of 24 (143 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Mar 4, 2013

Who writes long posts?Smiley LOL

Seriously though, you can't seem to win here in the Forum.  Either people get bashed for the "Yup" posts, or they get bashed for writing a full though.

The best thing about it is, no one is forcing you to read them.  This being said, expect a tongue lashing if you jump into the end of a large thread, throw out a one sentence thought, and think it is going to be accepted.

I always make it a good practice to at least read 98% of the THREAD, whether or not the posts are long or not, before I make a comment.  It keeps me from being redundant or getting the wrong direction of the thread.

Now, if the long posts appear to be a two or three way only conversation, then I skim them.

But I don't write long posts, so I wouldn't know.Smiley Wink

Moble

Message 8 of 24 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3346 posts

Mar 4, 2013

For me: It comes down to whether the post is a giant wall of text or appears to be somethig more coherent and insightful.

Message 9 of 24 (123 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15344 posts

Mar 5, 2013

It depends on how the post is presented and just how long it is. If it is poorly constructed and reading the post in it's entirty would yield no more information than skimming I won't read it. If there are paragraphs and a quick glance over them yields some interesting information then I will read it. More than likely I will read a long post but I'll never not, oooh double negative, read a post because it is long. In conclusion, walls of text are the antithesis of all that is good in the world.

Imperator Danknovaxperaux Divi filius Imp XIII Pont Max Trib Pot XLIX Cos CXVI Primus Signiferi Box-xy Princeps Moderatores Pater Forum

Fabulous!
Message 10 of 24 (115 Views)
0 Likes