Uncharted Territory
1468 posts

Re: hey "social smokers"

[ Edited ]
Mar 22, 2013

See I dont get that, I wouldnt mind going to a bar, having a few drinks, and then walking outside with a couple buds bull**bleep**ting over a cig and looking at the night sky all buzzed up. Its a nice feeling. If your gonna smoke cigs and ruin your health and lungs, at least get off your **bleep** and take a little walk to the door to get some fresh air, jesus..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 31 of 47 (89 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
10139 posts

Mar 23, 2013
It was 15 degrees here the other night. Not a very enjoyable smoke while enjoying the night sky. Also, when I drink, I smoke a lot more. That's a lot of time spent outside without my drink. It's really not worth the hassle to me so I stay home.
Message 32 of 47 (84 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1468 posts

Mar 23, 2013
Lived in north dakota for awhile ^ and I had no problem being outside for a quick smoke, if it was too cold, then it was my body telling me I obviously don't need a cig that bad then.

I mean, yea, if you smoke in your house then its logical you would want to stay home if you cant smoke in a bar, specially if you have drinks at your house. But, if you do go to a bar, I really don't see the problem. Plus, I get all warm a fuzzy when im drunk so the cold doesn't bother me.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 33 of 47 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4114 posts

Mar 23, 2013

I don't like the governments controlling things like this.

Unfortunately this is the only thing that government could do that would benefit me, so ... 

There are ion generating machines that make a world of difference for a bar, if they have things installed decently I can more than survive in a smoking environment. Nothing short of miraculous.

Smoking is a nasty habit. My husband smoked before he met me. I made him quit. He did. It might be something that one can do by will alone,  he needed me for that. Others need something else. Bottom line though, to quit smoking it's like any other bad habit. Stop the behaviour, replace it with something else. 

So keep on smoking. It's not my business. Robot Indifferent

Message 34 of 47 (72 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Mar 23, 2013

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

Even when I smoked I disliked others smoking around me when I was eating so I would never smoke in restaurants, even if it was allowed. 

However, I do not approve of the government telling private property and business owners if they can or can not allow people to smoke cigarettes on their premises.  That should be up to the business owner in my opinion as long as cigarettes are illegal. 

My state just passed a law outlawing the sale of cigarettes in a pharmacy.  

Those type of laws/rules do not jive well with me.  Yes, I no longer smoke and hate smoking in restaurants so having it illegal is great for me.  However, I value individual liberty far greater than I value not having to look for a non-smoking restaurant.    Always err on the side of liberty.

As always; I totally agree with you PLYMCO. Although I enjoy Restaurants being smoke free, it is essentially a removal of one group's civil liberties, in the name of another.  That is usually referred to as discrimination.

When we allow the Government to continually remove civil liberties, one at a time, we eventually end up with none.  I will give you the recent clamor and some passed "laws" (laughable) regarding food content and portions size.  Where does this end?

Government Head Cases can talk all they want about their desire to protect the American People from themselves, but the truth is, it is merely a power grab.  When a Government controls every aspect of the People's lives, the People are either hindered or cease to be truly Free.

Moble

Message 35 of 47 (70 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
41822 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 23, 2013

moblesuit75 wrote:

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

Even when I smoked I disliked others smoking around me when I was eating so I would never smoke in restaurants, even if it was allowed. 

However, I do not approve of the government telling private property and business owners if they can or can not allow people to smoke cigarettes on their premises.  That should be up to the business owner in my opinion as long as cigarettes are illegal. 

My state just passed a law outlawing the sale of cigarettes in a pharmacy.  

Those type of laws/rules do not jive well with me.  Yes, I no longer smoke and hate smoking in restaurants so having it illegal is great for me.  However, I value individual liberty far greater than I value not having to look for a non-smoking restaurant.    Always err on the side of liberty.

As always; I totally agree with you PLYMCO. Although I enjoy Restaurants being smoke free, it is essentially a removal of one group's civil liberties, in the name of another.  That is usually referred to as discrimination.

When we allow the Government to continually remove civil liberties, one at a time, we eventually end up with none.  I will give you the recent clamor and some passed "laws" (laughable) regarding food content and portions size.  Where does this end?

Government Head Cases can talk all they want about their desire to protect the American People from themselves, but the truth is, it is merely a power grab.  When a Government controls every aspect of the People's lives, the People are either hindered or cease to be truly Free.

Moble

There's a 'restaurant', actually bar would be a better description very near me called Uncle Mick's, anyway it is one of the VERY few places I & others can go where we can sit at the bar, with a beer in one hand & a ciggie in the other, apparently they can do this because most of their takings are for beer & not food, apparently it has to be at or under a certain percentage.

It's a decent sized place with 2/3 pool tables, a couple of dart boards (love playing darts), a dance-floor area & loads of tables & booths as well as a small stage area for live music, their wings are great & also once a week they have a swimsuit competition too!!

/> />  /> />

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Message 36 of 47 (67 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1468 posts

Mar 23, 2013
@Crazy-Maisy its harder than you think to quit. Depending on how long you have been smoking, and what age you started, and how much you normally smoke a day, can all affect on how hard or fast you can quit smoking. Hell, even then, i've seen people quit cold turkey, some of us aren't like that, all of our bodies act differently to things, some get addicted more than others and its harder to break your body of it.

It's good your husband got off of it, but that's your husband, you know him, you don't know us, or why we smoke, not all of us smoke it because we just want to relieve some stress, you don't know what that stress is that were going through. It's a nasty habit, yes, but unfortunately I fell into it at a very young age and it caught me at a young age and it's a lot harder to break now. My father says I smoke more than him and he's 40 years old.

Also, replacing it doesn't always help, and when it does, there is a very big chance that you could get addicted and go back to them again in the future. Your husband obviously loves you very much, and if my wife told me to quit I would try, but if I couldn't, or didn't want to, I would tell her to get over it or get out of my life. I may smoke until the day I die, and I may even marry a girl that smokes as well so I am not looked down upon by my own wife when I want a stogie. Something in this life has gotta kill you, if for me it's cigs, then so be it, i'll live my life to the fullest until that happens. Why? Because Cigs make me feel good, and if theres things in this world that make my life feel good, my one and only life, then im gonna do it than rather living as a **bleep** who gets mad all the time over stupid crap, which I am when I aint smoking.

Message 37 of 47 (60 Views)
Welcoming Committee
4403 posts

Mar 23, 2013

Murderstyle75 wrote:
Surprisingly though, where I live, many bar establishments are ignoring the smoking ban. They claim they lost a lot if business which I don't disagree with since even I started going out less when I had so smoke outside.

Some say the ban has generated more customers since they don't have to worry about second hand smoke but usually when I go into a corner bar that is non smoking, business is deader than dead. But walk down the street where they are allowing you to smoke and there are over 50 people inside even if the place is a dump. They don't get caught because its enforced by the health department and not the police and they only allow it at night. And even if they do get caught, they say the lost business is much greater than the fine.

I personally think the law shouldn't apply to every establishment. Perhaps just resteraunts. Or maybe even allow certain establishments to pay for a smoking license if it really is killing their business. Or maybe even after 9PM when children are no longer allowed inside.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

I can understand that. There are a lot of smokers who drink. They kind of go hand-in-hand.

Although I have not been to a bar in quite some time, a lot of the places in my area ignore(d) the smoking ban as well.

But even then, I usually would go outside to light up. I personally hate smoking indoors.

In my late teens / early twenties I used to hang out at a Starbucks with my friends a lot. It was the only bucks in town that allowed it's customers to smoke outside on the patio. So, we would drink our coffee, tea, hot chocolate -- or whatever -- and smoke, while we were on our laptops or playing chess (yes, I was one of those people.)

Well one day the place got a new manager and they posted signs everywhere saying "No Smoking."

One of the employees, who knew we were regulars, told us the new manager created the rule. (This employee was a smoker and would sometimes come out with the rest of us and have a cig.) 

Needless to say, the place eventually became a ghost town. And to this day, still is. You can drive by there any time of the day and it is nowhere as busy as it used to be. In my opinion, they shot themselves in the foot with that ban.

Same as alcohol, to some people, coffee goes hand-in-hand with cigarettes.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 38 of 47 (56 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4114 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 23, 2013

itsnotozzyitsozz wrote:
@Crazy-Maisy its harder than you think to quit. Depending on how long you have been smoking, and what age you started, and how much you normally smoke a day, can all affect on how hard or fast you can quit smoking. Hell, even then, i've seen people quit cold turkey, some of us aren't like that, all of our bodies act differently to things, some get addicted more than others and its harder to break your body of it.

It's good your husband got off of it, but that's your husband, you know him, you don't know us, or why we smoke, not all of us smoke it because we just want to relieve some stress, you don't know what that stress is that were going through. It's a nasty habit, yes, but unfortunately I fell into it at a very young age and it caught me at a young age and it's a lot harder to break now. My father says I smoke more than him and he's 40 years old.

Also, replacing it doesn't always help, and when it does, there is a very big chance that you could get addicted and go back to them again in the future. Your husband obviously loves you very much, and if my wife told me to quit I would try, but if I couldn't, or didn't want to, I would tell her to get over it or get out of my life. I may smoke until the day I die, and I may even marry a girl that smokes as well so I am not looked down upon by my own wife when I want a stogie. Something in this life has gotta kill you, if for me it's cigs, then so be it, i'll live my life to the fullest until that happens. Why? Because Cigs make me feel good, and if theres things in this world that make my life feel good, my one and only life, then im gonna do it than rather living as a **bleep** who gets mad all the time over stupid crap, which I am when I aint smoking.

Hey, I know I don't know you or anything, sure, you do talk about alot of stuff here though, so...

There are all sorts of  things that are addicting, all over the place, not just cigarettes. It is hard to quit any habit, and it's known that habits are hard to break, I didn't say they are easy or that quitting for my husband was easy. Will power or lack there of, or refusal to use it, are all part of the process, the process of getting over something or the reverse of letting it rule you, something you just may not have ever been taught about, or if you were, you might have not understood it, or outright rejected it as hogwash. 

So at your young age Cigs make you feel good. Nothing else will ever work for you. Hmm.

Sounds like you need a little bit of personality reflection, anger management or something.

It's obvious that you do smoke and your Dad does smoke and knows that you do. I don't know your family situation but I do have a similar aged child and well, it just seems weird to read all that you say and see you say you are 17 all the time. FWIW

Message 39 of 47 (48 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1468 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 23, 2013

@Crazy Well, like I said, you don't know me, and you don't know what i've lived through. At my age?  I know more about this world than you think, and some of those addicting habits you talk about, I have been addicted to, not naming them here, but I have been through a lot, and I plan to go through a lot more, why? Because it's life, it's my life, so don't worry about it.

My father is gone, so no I don't sit around the house and have a nice smoke with him, I dont have that oppurtunity like your kid does. I am 17 years old, I have seen and done things that a normal teenager wouldn't do or see, but thats how my life is, thats the people i've grown up around, everyone that used to watch me when I was a kid was a convict because my mother was locked away most of my life, and if it wasn't in prison, it was in her room doing drugs, and thats bad for somebody my age, but I know how this world works, and how habits are hard to break, don't come here and try to tell me how to handle my addictions, their MY addictions, so don;t worry about em' If they kill me then they kill me, if they don;t then they make me stronger for when I do grow older.

Message 40 of 47 (44 Views)
0 Likes