Last Guardian
12221 posts

Re: for those who say DD will take over..

Aug 19, 2009

DreamStation360 wrote:

For all the people who claim to prefere physical media over digital media, let me ask you a question.

Which of the following devices do you devote the largest amount of your time using, a CD Player or an MP3 player?

My MP3 player, on which I rip my MP3's from CD's.

That's the way - uh-huh, uh-huh
Message 21 of 73 (1 View)
0 Likes
Survivor
2641 posts

Aug 19, 2009

That sonunds good and all, Dont have to wait on a line in a store, get it as soon as it is released. But my hard-drive. How long do you think it will take to fill up. What, and then i have to go out and buy another hard drive? because in less then 6 month my 1TB HD is full. with all the add-ons they have for games and my music and movies.

Message 22 of 73 (1 View)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
313 posts

Aug 20, 2009

trecool999 wrote:

DreamStation360 wrote:

For all the people who claim to prefere physical media over digital media, let me ask you a question.

Which of the following devices do you devote the largest amount of your time using, a CD Player or an MP3 player?

My MP3 player, on which I rip my MP3's from CD's.

But the key is, you don't actually USE your CDs (or CD player) anymore, in favor of the digital convenience of MP3s.

Thousands of songs in the palm of your hand, or hundreds of CDs which you must carry around with you? It would seem as though you prefere the former.

Make them suffer!

There is no I in TEAM...
There is only ME!

PSP 2000... $125
16 GB MSPD... $65
The ability to play all games, DD and UMD alike... Priceless
Message 23 of 73 (1 View)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
313 posts

Aug 20, 2009

furlog wrote:

That sonunds good and all, Dont have to wait on a line in a store, get it as soon as it is released. But my hard-drive. How long do you think it will take to fill up. What, and then i have to go out and buy another hard drive? because in less then 6 month my 1TB HD is full. with all the add-ons they have for games and my music and movies.

Um, you DO realize how long it's going to take you to fill up a 1TB hard drive right? (unless of course you plan on overloading your HD with 25GB PS3 games...) I think it would have a LOT longer life span than 6 months. Exactly how much downloading do you do everyday???

Everything has it's limits, but you are NOT going to run out of space overnight, so I HARDLY think this is even an issue.

I have 20 games, 200 videos, 800 songs and 13,000 pictures stuffed into a 16GB PSP memory stick. And I STILL have a little over 1GB of free space left. YOU'RE talking about a 1TB hard drive. So again, your little scenario is rather farfetched...

Make them suffer!

There is no I in TEAM...
There is only ME!

PSP 2000... $125
16 GB MSPD... $65
Message 24 of 73 (1 View)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Survivor
2646 posts

Aug 20, 2009

t3hlazy1 wrote:

guncrazy56 wrote:
Its just not going to happen. Do you honestly think they will stop producing DVDs CDs video games? a very small % prefers DD. Retail will ALWAYS be the preferred method of purchase. Sorry but tell your "friend" he's a dumbass

Yeah right.
SOOOOOOO....you're saying iTunes < CDs
No.
Once fast internet is more common, then it will take over.
Already Netflix > Movie theaters, Steam > Retail (PC), iTunes > CDs.

It's pretty easy to see DD will take over.

CD's still out sell iTunes and willing to bet Retail stores also outsell Steam

here: http://www.npd.com/press/releases/press_090818.html 

it is declining though but It has not overtaken it yet.

Message 25 of 73 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9075 posts

Aug 20, 2009

mrgrim94 wrote:

t3hlazy1 wrote:

guncrazy56 wrote:
Its just not going to happen. Do you honestly think they will stop producing DVDs CDs video games? a very small % prefers DD. Retail will ALWAYS be the preferred method of purchase. Sorry but tell your "friend" he's a dumbass

Yeah right.
No.

Hmm...I didn't know that.
That's crazy.
Must be the old people.

Message 26 of 73 (1 View)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
313 posts

Aug 20, 2009

mrgrim94 wrote:

t3hlazy1 wrote:

guncrazy56 wrote:

Yeah right.
No.

If that's the case, then why is it so hard to find a record store these days?

Anybody know where I can find the nearest Virgin Megastore, Warehouse Music, or Tower Records?

Also, that report is SERIOUSLY flawed, because there is no way to measure the amount of digital music that ISN'T purchased. Which, combined with purchased digital music, would undoubtedly swing the bar overwhelmingly in the favor of MP3s.

Bottom line, MP3s ARE the most popular musical media format of this generation. Hands down.

Make them suffer!

There is no I in TEAM...
There is only ME!

PSP 2000... $125
16 GB MSPD... $65
Message 27 of 73 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7027 posts

Aug 20, 2009
If my internet were 50x faster I would be fine with everything being downloadable (to a point). As of now though, I'm not going to want to fill up a 1TB HDD with a crapload of games and movies with internet that downloads at a measly 300 Kbps (and I'm not paying $80/mo for crap satellite internet that only downloads at like 450 Kbps). Unless they get some internet out here that is at an acceptable speed I'll still be buying my games and movies on discs.
Message 28 of 73 (1 View)
0 Likes
Survivor
2641 posts

Aug 20, 2009

DreamStation360 wrote:

furlog wrote:

Um, you DO realize how long it's going to take you to fill up a 1TB hard drive right? (unless of course you plan on overloading your HD with 25GB PS3 games...) I think it would have a LOT longer life span than 6 months. Exactly how much downloading do you do everyday???

Everything has it's limits, but you are NOT going to run out of space overnight, so I HARDLY think this is even an issue.

I have 20 games, 200 videos, 800 songs and 13,000 pictures stuffed into a 16GB PSP memory stick. And I STILL have a little over 1GB of free space left. YOU'RE talking about a 1TB hard drive. So again, your little scenario is rather farfetched...

I am talking about PS3 games, Only

Message 29 of 73 (1 View)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
313 posts

Aug 20, 2009

furlog wrote:

DreamStation360 wrote:

furlog wrote:

I am talking about PS3 games, Only

Ok, fine.

But doing the math, you would have to download aproximately 40 PS3 games to fill up your 1 TB hard drive. (1000 GB / 25GB games = 40. Give or take. Obviously the actual capacity isn't EXACTLY 1TB, but you get the point)

Also, 40 games X 59.99 = $2399.60. So I do believe its STILL gonna take you QUITE a while to scrape up the extra cash to fill up that hard drive of yours. I presume longer than your 6 month window...

Make them suffer!

There is no I in TEAM...
There is only ME!

PSP 2000... $125
16 GB MSPD... $65
Message 30 of 73 (1 View)
0 Likes