Dec 08 2012
By: Jungkeit First Son 2 posts

credit card switch ?

[ Edited ]
20 replies 168 views Edited Dec 8, 2012

Hi . Just started using credit card but now I would like to switch to a new one . Thanks for any help .

Message 1 of 21 (168 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Re: credit card switch ?

[ Edited ]
Dec 8, 2012

Never mind I eventually figured it out . 

Message 2 of 21 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
36571 posts

Dec 9, 2012

Since you just started, you don't owe too much.  I have some very helpful advice for you.  Don't ever build up a huge balance.  They will destroy you.  They will suddenly jack the interest rate up to something insane like 39.9% and it will be a nightmare clawing your way back out from under them.  You will end up paying about 5 times as much as you actually spent on a bunch of junk.

It's so much easier just to save up for something you want.  It's also much more satisfying to actually own it and not owe for it later.  It's super easy to get caught up in debt, and so very hard to get out from under it.  Seriously it can take years.

Message 3 of 21 (146 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 13, 2012

CREDIT CARDS, are a bad word.  If you get behind on your payments and fail to pay. The credit card company, will call you during breakfast, lunch, and dinner time. If you avoid those calls, each call is logged.  Your phone number, gets put on a timer and its called automatically, during those times.  

Even when you die, they will still send letters and call.  You can request your number to be removed, you need to be firm and not angry. Most will apply to the request.

Credit cards companies can sue you civil.  They will bring you to court, you can receive a summons as well.  Your 2nd time, while going to civil court, you will take an oath, when you see the judge. You will also have to fill out an affidavit for the judge.  

CREDIT CARDS, are a total rip off, no matter what your percentage rate is. I had good credit with Discover and yet, I was still being charged with 19.6% rate. My credit score was a 788.  

Always pay cash or use a pre paid credit card. That  way, you know the money is on it and are very safe to use.

Message 4 of 21 (121 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10002 posts

Dec 13, 2012
You know, credit cards are fine as long as you pay them off before the due date. I only use my credit card on stuff I know I have the money for. Whenever I get my statement I pay it off right away, then I don`t get charged any interest, which they usually give you till the end of the month to pay it off without interest.

You just have to becareful, if you don`t pay it off, you will be charged interest, and interest rates on credit cards are high.
Message 5 of 21 (114 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

Dec 13, 2012

BAD! Even if I won the lottery, I wouldn't have a credit card. I would use one pre paid credit cards and all would be cut up. Either I pay or I don't get it.  CREDIT CARD companies are the biggest scammersin the world.

Message 6 of 21 (112 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10002 posts

Dec 13, 2012
I have had a credit card for 3 or 4 years now, I have not ever had to pay even a single cent in interest, and I still have perfect credit rating. Like anything, as long as you shop smart with a credit card you are fine, when I got to retail stores I usually use cash, but as I shop online, I use my credit card.

You are painting a bad picture of credit cards, sure pre paid cards are fine as well, but as long as you shop smart with a credit card and only spend what you already have, you won`t get stuck in debt, you will only pay back what you spent and no more.

There are people who spend more then what they can pay, that is how credit card companies get all their money.
Message 7 of 21 (104 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 13, 2012

I just don't like credit cards period.  People are in trouble because of this.  Educated or not, we will never get out from the national debt.  

Yes, I understand that sometimes having a credit card is good.  But if you get in trouble with one, it's not fun.  And most, can't get out of it.  

I learned my lesson and I stay far away from credit cards as I can.  Going to court, because you can't make payments, isn't fun.  Civil court is worse than criminal court. I think.  

When people first get credit cards, they need to put a  limit on these things.  Its because of these credit card companies, people get into trouble and didn't have the money.  Most spend more what they have, what you said.  

Maybe if people were educated on what happens to you if you don't pay.  It's not fun, when collection calls come at breakfast, lunch and dinner time.  Which I don't understand why they can do it that way.  I know credit thing does goes away after a certain amount of time.  Like 7 years now.  

You will still receive letters, but they can't go after you and drag your **bleep** to court.  They have 7yrs to collect by law, and if people were smart enough on the process.  What happens after, if you can not pay.  Less would be signing up for credit cards.

Local cops don't give you a summons, Sheriffs do.  If you ever get one.  And, it's rather embarrassing.  

Message 8 of 21 (99 Views)
MVP Support
10002 posts

Dec 13, 2012
I agree with your post, and it is true, if someone gets into debt it is very hard to get out of it, it`s also true that there are many people who spend more then they have. So, if someone does get a credit card, I say, be very carful of your spending habits, like you pointed out, being in debt is one of the worst things that could happen. I map out all my spending, so I know I got enough to fully pay of my card, I refuse to ever be in debt, that why I make sure I don`t fall into that situation.

Your last post was very good at pointing out the Cons, and from what you said, I am guessing it`s from personal experience, I just hope when people get credit cards they know the pros and cons. They can be good if managed right, but if doen wrong, you could be in trouble.
Message 9 of 21 (93 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 14, 2012

Yes, I went through it with Discover, because of job loss and my benefits ran out.  It's one of the worst things  ever.  Even if you still owe money and your dead and your debt isn't paid. Your household will still receive letters, ain't that something.

Message 10 of 21 (88 Views)
0 Likes