I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Re: college is a waste of time and money

Mar 5, 2014

ok so I think the general consensus is that college is good, but what they charge for it is a scam. Although if you choose the right major/career, your earning power will be significantly better, which is not a waste of time or money.

photo pistolstarsig1_zps4f1a9f6d.png
Message 41 of 48 (147 Views)
MVP Support
13564 posts

Mar 5, 2014
It's only a scam if you foolishly believe that a degree guarantees a job.

You cannot major in just anything. Only in specific fields. Otherwise you won't find a job due to low demand.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 42 of 48 (146 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Mar 5, 2014

As someone who holds 2 degrees, and working on my 3rd.... This is funny.

YOU GET OUT, what you PUT IN.

Period. End of story.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 43 of 48 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Mar 5, 2014

semajmarc87 wrote:

Remember kids, only "smart" people rack up a mountain of debt and spend their prime years stressed and overworked to get a piece of paper that says "I'm smart." But don't worry, (if you're lucky) you'll be rewarded with a job with a marginally higher salary all so you can pay back the enormous debt your now stuck with. What's the moral of the story, kids? Don't think outside the box, be another cog in the machine so that you can be miserable like everyone else.

Only if you're stupid enough to go that route.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 44 of 48 (132 Views)
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Mar 5, 2014

EVILEMPIRE951 wrote:

I dropped out of college i started 25$ a hour at boeing alot of these JOBs u need a college degree is not true you still need to learn the basics of what your doing they still need to teach u and right now working on the new drone is very bad **bleep** u could say u do need a college degree or u cant but all is say you get to higher places if u know somebody that is willing to put you in now lets say i leave beoing i know i can find another job because i have worked for this company 

I worked with some Boeing and Lockheed employees when I was in the Air Force.

Yea, its possible. BUT, you're never going go make the same amount as the engineer who sits at his desk working in CAD.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 45 of 48 (130 Views)
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Mar 5, 2014

EVILEMPIRE951 wrote:

Like i said its not luck. Its knowing somebody in life that can put a good word for you and thats all what it takes

That luck runs out FAST.

My mothers' husband, he's worked for Boeing, General Dynamics, US Logistics, DynCorp, Raytheon..... he also had a "good word" put in after he retired from the Army.... He cant make no more than $45k/yr as an M1A1/2 Abrams instructor because he only has a HS Diploma.... He's LUCKY when he deploys, that he makes a little more money... sometimes he'll have a good year at $60k... sometimes a bad year a $40k.

He regrets not using his GI Bill..... All of his co-workers are clearing $80k base pay.

Sure he gets an "alley oop" from his buddies to work for another company who MIGHT pay more..... they never do, because he only has 23 year in the Armyy and HS Diploma.

I make ORDERS of magnitude more money than him because I chose to further my education.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 46 of 48 (128 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4354 posts

Mar 5, 2014

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

yep you heard it college is a waste of time and money

its offering competition instead of collaboration and making people conform rather then teaching independance

lol

Message 47 of 48 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
573 posts

Mar 6, 2014

bob-maul wrote:

semajmarc87 wrote:

Remember kids, only "smart" people rack up a mountain of debt and spend their prime years stressed and overworked to get a piece of paper that says "I'm smart." But don't worry, (if you're lucky) you'll be rewarded with a job with a marginally higher salary all so you can pay back the enormous debt your now stuck with. What's the moral of the story, kids? Don't think outside the box, be another cog in the machine so that you can be miserable like everyone else.

Community college can cut that debt down. As can scholarships (my tuition is dirt cheap thanks to scholarships). FAFSA assists those who need it. Waivers can knock off tuition for those with disabilities. You also can pay back the debt thanks to earning a lot more money in your lifetime. 

The US Census found that college grads earned an average of $42,000. High school graduates earned $25,000. The payments on your loan are minor compared to the payoff.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/saranyakapur/2013/04/11/is-your-college-degree-worth-it-find-out/

http://money.cnn.com/2013/08/01/pf/college/college-education.moneymag/

Whether you like it or not, being a cog in this machine is a lot safer than just putting a high school diploma on your resume. Your experience in a field hits a wall eventually. Many jobs (especially those that pay well) require a degree. 

well congrats, u found sources with people who didn't cite census data well.

http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/cpstables/032013/perinc/pinc04_000.htm

first document, second table is what you'll want to look at, mean earnings.

the data clearly shows that associate's degrees only minimally effect the mean income. bachelor's degrees do significantly better than no college, master's doing minimally better than bachelor degrees and professional and doctorates having the highest income. and, overall, at a glance the difference only averages out around 25-30%

so yeah, the census found that people who attained bachelor or professional degrees were paid off for their efforts. long story short - you hit the nail on the head with technical degrees being important, but they're the only degrees that make a noticable difference.

ferguson is a weird name for an iraqi village
Message 48 of 48 (112 Views)
0 Likes