PlayStation MVP
11517 posts

Re: college is a waste of time and money

Mar 4, 2014

eagles1990 wrote:

College is only a waste of time and money if you majored in something like Liberal Arts or English or you just party all the time and ignore the schoolwork. As a Computer Engineering/Digital Forensics major, I'm going to be in about $70-80,000 in debt once I graduate but as someone who has worked numerous dead end jobs in the last 5 years, I'd rather have that debt going into a growing job field than working for the lowest amount possible in a limited job market with a high school degree. High School degrees are going to be useless soon. 

They essentially are if you want to be in the middle class.

"The business of the industry is business"
Please use plain text.
Message 31 of 48 (171 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1539 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 4, 2014

bob-maul wrote:

eagles1990 wrote:

College is only a waste of time and money if you majored in something like Liberal Arts or English or you just party all the time and ignore the schoolwork. As a Computer Engineering/Digital Forensics major, I'm going to be in about $70-80,000 in debt once I graduate but as someone who has worked numerous dead end jobs in the last 5 years, I'd rather have that debt going into a growing job field than working for the lowest amount possible in a limited job market with a high school degree. High School degrees are going to be useless soon. 

They essentially are if you want to be in the middle class.

You mean my highschool diploma isn't already useless?

I must agree. I apreciate the education I received in highschool, but I learned more in my first week of college than I ever did in highschool. 

guitar guru 2012
Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 48 (167 Views)
PlayStation MVP
23774 posts

Mar 4, 2014

Does anyone else find the irony in that people who play video games are saying anything education related is " a waste of time"?

Please use plain text.
Message 33 of 48 (163 Views)
PlayStation MVP
23774 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 4, 2014

eagles1990 wrote:

Please use plain text.
Message 34 of 48 (158 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2348 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 5, 2014

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Does anyone else find the irony in that people who play video games are saying anything education related is " a waste of time"?

Nobody is saying that "anything education related" is a waste of time. College is just one of many ways to gain knowledge. Unfortunately, college can be a very expensive and time consuming way that may end up being a waste for some people. I dare say that if your sole intent is to quench your thirst for knowledge and not simply bolster your job resume, simply reading educational materials from books or from the internet is the most effective and economical way of achieving that.

PlayStation MVP | PS Plus member | BETA Tester | YouTube Partner www.twitter.com/semajmarc87 | www.youtube.com/semajmarc87
1,000+ followers | 100+ subscribers
Please use plain text.
Message 35 of 48 (144 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
23774 posts

Mar 5, 2014

semajmarc87 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Nobody is saying that "anything education related" is a waste of time. College is just one of many ways to gain knowledge. Unfortunately, college can be a very expensive and time consuming way that may end up being a waste for some people. I dare say that if your sole intent is to quench your thirst for knowledge and not simply bolster your job resume, simply reading educational materials from books or from the internet is the most effective an economical way of achieving that.

Reading is "fun for mentals"?

These people read "books and from the internet", does that make them "educated"?

Please use plain text.
Message 36 of 48 (136 Views)
PlayStation MVP
2348 posts

Mar 5, 2014

CaptainAlbator wrote:

semajmarc87 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Nobody is saying that "anything education related" is a waste of time. College is just one of many ways to gain knowledge. Unfortunately, college can be a very expensive and time consuming way that may end up being a waste for some people. I dare say that if your sole intent is to quench your thirst for knowledge and not simply bolster your job resume, simply reading educational materials from books or from the internet is the most effective an economical way of achieving that.

These people read "books and from the internet", does that make them "educated"?

I'm really not sure what point you're trying to make with that picture so I don't know how to respond. Sorry. You can elaborate if you want.

PlayStation MVP | PS Plus member | BETA Tester | YouTube Partner www.twitter.com/semajmarc87 | www.youtube.com/semajmarc87
1,000+ followers | 100+ subscribers
Please use plain text.
Message 37 of 48 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1648 posts

Mar 5, 2014

You can take the cisco networking Test u dont nedd to take classes and you can learn the books off the internet if you find them take the test and  your A++ certified . :]

Won the ps4 From taco bell!
eGe EV][L GA/\/\][NG E/\/\P][RE
Please use plain text.
Message 38 of 48 (119 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7269 posts

Mar 5, 2014
My entire associate's degree costs less than $10,000.

Now with the mindset that college is a waste of time and money, then anyone can apply at a hospital as a doctor and get hired. Or anyone can apply at a software development studio and land a job. This thread lacks common sense, to be quite frank.
soco signature

bhd clan site
mvp terms
forum rules
Please use plain text.
Message 39 of 48 (103 Views)
PlayStation MVP
23774 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 5, 2014

semajmarc87 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

semajmarc87 wrote:

CaptainAlbator wrote:

I'm really not sure what point you're trying to make with that picture so I don't know how to respond. Sorry. You can elaborate if you want.

The point is you can read books and from the internet, however those people who wrote what ever it is you're reading may be bat **bleep** crazy. More often than not, you only read to reinforce what you already believe (which is why Glenn Beck and Ann Coulter write the same book every three months) and it's not affording you the ability to DISCUSS what you're reading. Discussion is a major part of the learning process, because it becomes an exercise in critical thinking.  Also just because you're reading what you want to read, that doesn't mean you're becoming "educated", especially if you're seeking out opinions that are similar to your own. All you're doing is reinforcing what you believe in an echo chamber, and leads to unqualified statements of "it just is", and attempting to change a defintion of something because you falsely believe it means what YOU want it to mean.

There's a word for you're describing, and it's diletante. It's a person who cultivates an interest in something, without any real knowledge of it. It also can be used to desribe someone who has broad, but superficial knowledge in a variety of subjects. I've often said that "gamers" are the diletantes of the 21st century. I know that there's a D.I.Y. (do it yourself) attitude among gamers, hipsters and many younger people in the information age, however there are somethings that you're not going to learn on your own, and the lack of critical thinking is sympotmatic of this. I know you'll probably disagree with me, however there's no substitute for actual LEARNING, and not just reinforcing what you already believe.

Please use plain text.
Message 40 of 48 (87 Views)