Reply
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 03/16/2007
Offline
7160 posts
 

Re: college is a waste of time and money

[ Edited ]
Mar 4, 2014

I disagree. I've learned what I want to do with my life thanks to college, and it has also helped sharpen some of my technical skills. 

Message 21 of 48 (136 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
Registered: 05/23/2007
Offline
2277 posts
 

Re: college is a waste of time and money

Mar 4, 2014

I dropped out of college i started 25$ a hour at boeing alot of these JOBs u need a college degree is not true you still need to learn the basics of what your doing they still need to teach u and right now working on the new drone is very bad **bleep** u could say u do need a college degree or u cant but all is say you get to higher places if u know somebody that is willing to put you in now lets say i leave beoing i know i can find another job because i have worked for this company 

Won the ps4 From taco bell!
eGe EV][L GA/\/\][NG E/\/\P][RE
Message 22 of 48 (128 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 10/02/2008
Offline
14647 posts
 

Re: college is a waste of time and money

Mar 4, 2014

semajmarc87 wrote:

Remember kids, only "smart" people rack up a mountain of debt and spend their prime years stressed and overworked to get a piece of paper that says "I'm smart." But don't worry, (if you're lucky) you'll be rewarded with a job with a marginally higher salary all so you can pay back the enormous debt your now stuck with. What's the moral of the story, kids? Don't think outside the box, be another cog in the machine so that you can be miserable like everyone else.


Community college can cut that debt down. As can scholarships (my tuition is dirt cheap thanks to scholarships). FAFSA assists those who need it. Waivers can knock off tuition for those with disabilities. You also can pay back the debt thanks to earning a lot more money in your lifetime. 

 

The US Census found that college grads earned an average of $42,000. High school graduates earned $25,000. The payments on your loan are minor compared to the payoff.

 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/saranyakapur/2013/04/11/is-your-college-degree-worth-it-find-out/

http://money.cnn.com/2013/08/01/pf/college/college-education.moneymag/

 

Whether you like it or not, being a cog in this machine is a lot safer than just putting a high school diploma on your resume. Your experience in a field hits a wall eventually. Many jobs (especially those that pay well) require a degree. 


Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 23 of 48 (124 Views)
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 10/02/2008
Offline
14647 posts
 

Re: college is a waste of time and money

Mar 4, 2014

EVILEMPIRE951 wrote:

I dropped out of college i started 25$ a hour at boeing alot of these JOBs u need a college degree is not true you still need to learn the basics of what your doing they still need to teach u and right now working on the new drone is very bad **bleep** u could say u do need a college degree or u cant but all is say you get to higher places if u know somebody that is willing to put you in now lets say i leave beoing i know i can find another job because i have worked for this company 


You got insanely lucky or you have something else to boost your human capital. If it was so easy to get a $25 an hour job, there would not be as much of a problem with finding those jobs. This is why you get a degree. It is so that you can put yourself above the other applicants. You could find a job elsewhere because of this? Maybe. What if they closed your place of work and layed all of you off? Hopefully your job experience outweighs a fancy degree in the eyes of those reading your resume (speaking of reading, please try and make this easier to read.) 


Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 24 of 48 (119 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 12/17/2008
Online
3794 posts
 

Re: college is a waste of time and money

Mar 4, 2014

If your wasting you time at college, then yes, its a waste of time.

 

But If your doing something with your time at college, and appreciating the fact that we live in a society that still values education, then it can be a very productive period. 

guitar guru 2012
Message 25 of 48 (114 Views)
Gaming Beast
Registered: 05/23/2007
Offline
2277 posts
 

Re: college is a waste of time and money

[ Edited ]
Mar 4, 2014

Like i said its not luck. Its knowing somebody in life that can put a good word for you and thats all what it takes

Won the ps4 From taco bell!
eGe EV][L GA/\/\][NG E/\/\P][RE
Message 26 of 48 (112 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 10/02/2008
Offline
14647 posts
 

Re: college is a waste of time and money

Mar 4, 2014

EVILEMPIRE951 wrote:

Like i said its not luck. Its knowing somebody in life that can put a good word for you and thats all what it takes


So...you are saying that college is useless because you were able to get a good job without it (based on the luck of knowing someone in the business)? That hardly applies to the millions in high school.


Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 27 of 48 (108 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 04/29/2010
Online
5421 posts
 

Re: college is a waste of time and money

Mar 4, 2014

bob-maul wrote:

semajmarc87 wrote:

Remember kids, only "smart" people rack up a mountain of debt and spend their prime years stressed and overworked to get a piece of paper that says "I'm smart." But don't worry, (if you're lucky) you'll be rewarded with a job with a marginally higher salary all so you can pay back the enormous debt your now stuck with. What's the moral of the story, kids? Don't think outside the box, be another cog in the machine so that you can be miserable like everyone else.


Community college can cut that debt down. As can scholarships (my tuition is dirt cheap thanks to scholarships). FAFSA assists those who need it. Waivers can knock off tuition for those with disabilities. You also can pay back the debt thanks to earning a lot more money in your lifetime. 

 

The US Census found that college grads earned an average of $42,000. High school graduates earned $25,000. The payments on your loan are minor compared to the payoff.

 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/saranyakapur/2013/04/11/is-your-college-degree-worth-it-find-out/

http://money.cnn.com/2013/08/01/pf/college/college-education.moneymag/

 

Whether you like it or not, being a cog in this machine is a lot safer than just putting a high school diploma on your resume. Your experience in a field hits a wall eventually. Many jobs (especially those that pay well) require a degree. 


I'm not saying it's a black and white issue. I'm pointing out how college is considered an automatic no-brainer for most people even though it is only beneficial in certain circumstances. If people adapted to their own specific situation better, then the United States wouldn't have the problem of approximately 50% of college students dropping out before they earn their degree. Also, the number of jobs requiring degrees would decrease if the job market wasn't so saturated with people with degrees.

semajmarc87
My YouTube | My Twitter
230+ Subscribers | 1,500+ Followers
Message 28 of 48 (106 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 10/02/2008
Offline
14647 posts
 

Re: college is a waste of time and money

Mar 4, 2014

semajmarc87 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

semajmarc87 wrote:

Remember kids, only "smart" people rack up a mountain of debt and spend their prime years stressed and overworked to get a piece of paper that says "I'm smart." But don't worry, (if you're lucky) you'll be rewarded with a job with a marginally higher salary all so you can pay back the enormous debt your now stuck with. What's the moral of the story, kids? Don't think outside the box, be another cog in the machine so that you can be miserable like everyone else.


Community college can cut that debt down. As can scholarships (my tuition is dirt cheap thanks to scholarships). FAFSA assists those who need it. Waivers can knock off tuition for those with disabilities. You also can pay back the debt thanks to earning a lot more money in your lifetime. 

 

The US Census found that college grads earned an average of $42,000. High school graduates earned $25,000. The payments on your loan are minor compared to the payoff.

 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/saranyakapur/2013/04/11/is-your-college-degree-worth-it-find-out/

http://money.cnn.com/2013/08/01/pf/college/college-education.moneymag/

 

Whether you like it or not, being a cog in this machine is a lot safer than just putting a high school diploma on your resume. Your experience in a field hits a wall eventually. Many jobs (especially those that pay well) require a degree. 


I'm not saying it's a black and white issue. I'm pointing out how college is considered an automatic no-brainer for most people even though it is only beneficial in certain circumstances. If people adapted to their own specific situation better, then the United States wouldn't have the problem of approximately 50% of college students dropping out before they earn their degree. Also, the number of jobs requiring degrees would decrease if the job market wasn't so saturated with people with degrees.


Alright. I was just making sure you were not calling college useless. It is beneficial to anyone who can get a degree to get one, though. It increases their worth. Someone who cannot get through it needs to evaluate their options. Trade school, own business, etc.


Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 29 of 48 (103 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 03/17/2007
Offline
31249 posts
 

Re: college is a waste of time and money

[ Edited ]
Mar 4, 2014

College is only a waste of time and money if you majored in something like Liberal Arts or English or you just party all the time and ignore the schoolwork. As a Computer Engineering/Digital Forensics major, I'm going to be in about $70-80,000 in debt once I graduate but as someone who has worked numerous dead end jobs in the last 5 years, I'd rather have that debt going into a growing job field than working for the lowest amount possible in a limited job market with a high school degree. High School degrees are going to be useless soon. 

Message 30 of 48 (93 Views)
Reply
0 Likes