VP of Gaming
29413 posts

Re: college is a waste of time and money

Mar 4, 2014

I don't think college is a "waste of time",but I do think it's become a money making machine, and these universities now see student loans as "free money" from the government. Which is why you're seeing tuition going up at such a ridiculous rate. Here's the kicker; it costs taxpayers $68 billion to cover the cost of bad student loans. It would cost only $62 billion to make public universities free.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/01/heres-exactly-how-much-the-government-would-have...

Think of the spending that recent graduates could be making if they weren't saddled with the debt of student loans. Cars, houses, goods and services. We would lift this nation out of the recession,and usher in an era of prosperity. The other benefit is that once you remove the practice of predatory loans, then you're free from the stress and worry of how you're going to pay for education, and that money you earn working on the side you could put into other things. And you would make higher education affordable for everyone.

Countries like France, Germany, the UK, Sweden, Norway, Finland, and Denmark have been doing this for YEARS. This would be a relatively easy thing to do in the United States. If don't make tuition free, we can make it very affordable. Nobody need to go into bankruptcy going to a **bleep** poor excuse of a state college like the one I went to.

Message 11 of 48 (166 Views)
Wastelander
733 posts

Mar 4, 2014

that and considering a lot of colleges are more focused on their sports programs, yeah...college is a waste of time. i'm going to community college to get a piece of paper to get a job. as far as community college itself goes...not much of a learning experience - more of a den for sex and drugs. can't complain about that, though.

#CoalFactoriesMatter
Message 12 of 48 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14647 posts

Mar 4, 2014

This is silly. College is an investment. You get a degree to get a job. Even a degree outside of the job's field is helpful since getting a degree is an achievment that shows your work ethic and commitment.

Your potential earnings are MUCH higher with a degree than without one.

And more people are going to college than ever, Hitman. If you do not get a degree or learn a trade (a solid alternative), your high school diploma or GED will make you worth nothing. You will be the bottom of the labor pool in that you will have no human capital (worth as labor). 

It is expensive, but the long-term earnings are worth it. 

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 13 of 48 (140 Views)
Welcoming Committee
14647 posts

Mar 4, 2014

hannah-goes-rawr wrote:

that and considering a lot of colleges are more focused on their sports programs, yeah...college is a waste of time. i'm going to community college to get a piece of paper to get a job. as far as community college itself goes...not much of a learning experience - more of a den for sex and drugs. can't complain about that, though.

And people forget about community college. It is a really cheap alternative and anybody can afford it. Then you can transfer out to a state school and get a BA (with only two years of loans to pay instead of 4). 

Message 14 of 48 (139 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2277 posts

Mar 4, 2014

Its hard to find a job when you come out with your degree but to get up in this world u need to know somebody just look at bill gates never went to college started his company hes the riches man but yes i dropped out of college but working for beoing the way i got accepted was through my sisters husband :] 

Won the ps4 From taco bell!
eGe EV][L GA/\/\][NG E/\/\P][RE
Message 15 of 48 (135 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14647 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 4, 2014

EVILEMPIRE951 wrote:

Its hard to find a job when you come out with your degree but to get up in this world u need to know somebody just look at bill gates never went to college started his company hes the riches man but yes i dropped out of college but working for beoing the way i got accepted was through my sisters husband :] 

I HATE when people use Gates as an example of not needing a degree. That mindset is destructive. Gates is very intelligent. He was also an entrepreneur with a product. If you have a program that will revolutionize a major industry, drop out., Gates is a solid example. If you are a person with no plans to start a business or go to a trade school and you only have a high school diploma under your belt, go to college.

Message 16 of 48 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2277 posts

Mar 4, 2014

So he didn't went to college did he? i know alot of people with a degree and guess what They are workin at jiffy lube now u tell me was it worth it? truth is it all matters what makes you happy if u think your life isn't fine enough go to college and hope for the best and hopefully u find a job before the debt comes 

Won the ps4 From taco bell!
eGe EV][L GA/\/\][NG E/\/\P][RE
Message 17 of 48 (124 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2144 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 4, 2014

go to skool for chemical engineering..

find the recipe to make LSD.

1 Oz at 5$ a hit is 1.5 million dollars..

do the math..

i skipped school though.. heh ^.^

hope this helps for people that are on the struggle

Message 18 of 48 (123 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14647 posts

Mar 4, 2014

EVILEMPIRE951 wrote:

So he didn't went to college did he? i know alot of people with a degree and guess what They are workin at jiffy lube now u tell me was it worth it? truth is it all matters what makes you happy if u think your life isn't fine enough go to college and hope for the best and hopefully u find a job before the debt comes 

I dislike bad anecdotal evidence. There are better careers than others. Going to college for gender studies, art history, or any other degree with few jobs will get you stuck at a Jiffy Lube. A degree in the sciences or mathematics, however, gives you A LOT more worth. 

Obviously you should aim for what is best for you. If you are happy working for under 12$ an hour for all your life, that is fine. But I also expect you to not come and complain when your job is wiped out because it consists of unskilled labor. College allows you to go into the middle class or higher. As does starting your own business or learning a trade. Going to work at a Taco Bell for 30 years is not likely to satisfy anybody. Besides the guys in corporate with their fancy degrees, anyway.

Message 19 of 48 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5170 posts

Mar 4, 2014

Remember kids, only "smart" people rack up a mountain of debt and spend their prime years stressed and overworked to get a piece of paper that says "I'm smart." But don't worry, (if you're lucky) you'll be rewarded with a job with a marginally higher salary all so you can pay back the enormous debt your now stuck with. What's the moral of the story, kids? Don't think outside the box, be another cog in the machine so that you can be miserable like everyone else.

semajmarc87
My YouTube | My Twitter
225+ Subscribers | 1,500+ Followers
Message 20 of 48 (101 Views)
0 Likes