Mar 04 2014
By: HiTmAN_90 VP of Gaming 37802 posts

college is a waste of time and money

47 replies 334 views Edited Mar 4, 2014

yep you heard it college is a waste of time and money

its offering competition instead of collaboration and making people conform rather then teaching independance

heres the whole article from the big boys themselves

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/06/03/stephens.college/

Message 1 of 48 (334 Views)
Fender Bender
3450 posts

Re: college is a waste of time and money

Mar 4, 2014

College is just a hoop that we must jump through in order to be considered for the job we want, and live the life that we want.  You pay for a lot of classes that do not translate into your career.  It's a finely tuned system where the colleges are out to make money.  You take out student loans. You graduate, get a job, and spend years paying off those loans.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Message 2 of 48 (324 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1118 posts

Mar 4, 2014

Yes and No. If you had a job lined up and the company is paying you for it, so you can advance, etc.  

Like a community college or a trucking school, yes, I'm all for it. 

Look at Sony.  Don't you need a bachelor's degree to work there and look how many complaints they have.   They may be the giant of the video game industry, but got me fooled.  They think they know everything but they don/t 

College can pay off.  But I'd rather have the well rounded person and someone with a personality, some boring old, college student, who is dead as a door nail. 

photo 90years_zps08bfda1e.png
Message 3 of 48 (323 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
18676 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 4, 2014

It really depends.

Unless you get really lucky, your earning potential and overall job opportunities are pretty limited without a 4 year degree in something. Especially in this market.

RE-THINK SALAD

Message 4 of 48 (316 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1074 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 4, 2014

HiTmAN_90 wrote:

yep you heard it college is a waste of time and money

its offering competition instead of collaboration and making people conform rather then teaching independance

heres the whole article from the big boys themselves

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/06/03/stephens.college/

McDonalds is full of employees that think like that.

ronald-mcdonald.jpg

Message 5 of 48 (298 Views)
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

Mar 4, 2014

Maybe. But I think the biggest problem mostly comes with the kind of environemnt you're in and the fact that many profossers don't seem to care about how well you do in class, unfortunately (based on what I've experineced)

young beard signature
Message 6 of 48 (289 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 4, 2014

I have a friend who majored in aeronomics. And getting a job in this major can get you good money. The only problem is that it's not high in demand. So as you can imagine, after looking for a job in aeronomics, he eventually quit and decided to major in something else. So a waste of 4 to 6 years

That's why it's always important to major in something that's high in demand. Nursing is actually a very good choice (even though many people dislike it). You can't always go for your passion. You also have to think about how successfull you will be later on. Hey, who says life's fair? Smiley Sad

young beard signature
Message 7 of 48 (285 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2785 posts

Mar 4, 2014

Well I'm earning an engineering degree entirely funded by financial aid and scholarships. I like to think that I'm better off with it than without it. Unless they're willing to hire self taught engineers.

To be honest, those negative things don't seem to apply to my school, (and its a more affordable state school). **bleep** near everything is done in teams, so collaboration is one of the most important things you must develop. Even as an engineer, I've been writing at least 20 pages a week, and have definitely improved. A great deal of lectures are accompanied by lab classes, so it's largely application that you are learning. And creativity is encouraged. Hell, just yesterday we went to show our professor our idea for our design project. He wanted us to focus more on creativity instead of just function.

It can be a waste of time though. I know a lot of people that went back for a second degree because they decided to waste their time on something easy to open up time for partying. Like my brother. He's constantly trying to pitch the value of his degree to himself and others. If you have to try that hard to convince yourself that you did not waste tat opportunity, you probably did lol.

Feel free to add my newer account NatalieG_

Message 8 of 48 (284 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3825 posts

Mar 4, 2014

It varies. I need to go to get a 2 year degree in radiology. I dont know if I'll even make it to med school, but at least in my position I have not taken any loans. I wont be in any debt Smiley Very Happy.

Im also working on other things to gradually replace my main income.

KZMProductionsGT
Message 9 of 48 (268 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13569 posts

Mar 4, 2014

I currently live in a private college, with the tuition about $48,000 a year (financial aid pays most of it). Anyway, the classes are actually worth paying for. The food here is amazing. And the housing is very comfortable. And they have a lot of resources here that can help get a job or intership.

So it basically depends on which campus you go to. Places like MIT or Harvard are very expensive. So you would expect at least something.

Message 10 of 48 (264 Views)
0 Likes