May 02 2007
By: dreadnaught_ I Only Post Everything 1075 posts

a Gamestop employee field identification guide

11 replies 2 views Edited May 2, 2007
I read another post about Gamestop -- about why people don't like it.  But it got me thinking.

I'm not a big fan of the store -- or game stores in general.  I usually go to Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, etc. 

But, I'm sad to say I've laid down a lot of my hard-earned cash at the altar of Gamestop.  And in doing so, I made some observations about the people that work there.

I've gone to Gamestop's on both coasts, and the normal distribution of employees fall into the following categories (listed in order of prevalence)
DISCLAIMER:  This is all in good fun.  I'm just trying to make people smile or laugh.  And, there are of course outliers, types of folks you don't see listed here, but this is the majority -- from my experience. 

1) Irritating 16-25 year-old, gamer-type individuals that think they are "industry insiders" on account of their $6.50/hour job.  Or whatever the heck they make.  Adamant fanboys for their pet system or franchise, they will tell you as you're trying to check out why you should buy some other system or game -- always.  Little muscular definition, often pimply, poor social skills, and most likely, virginal.  They take forever checking people out because they run their mouths the whole time.

2) 30 to 45-year old men that look like they don't belong there.  They just need a job bad, have had horrid luck searching, and Gamestop was the first place that hired them.  They're there, they don't really know anything about games (even though their application claims differently), but they go through the motions with suprising dignity, effectiveness, and clarity despite their self-loathing.  They just want to get through the week and get their check, and they'll put their two weeks in the second they find something better.  They're my favorite type of Gamestop employee. 
(On a side note, I actually ran across one of these guys in my work.  I used to be a project manager for an engineering firm, and one day when I was touring a construction site, I noticed a laborer with a "Spartan: Total Warrior" shirt.  I introduced myself and said to him:  "Man, I loved that game!."  He just shook his head and said he was new in town and worked there for a couple months till he got the construction gig, which though much harder and dangerous work, paid a lot better.  He said he just has a ton of game shirts he got from working there, and so he wears them on the job and when he works out in the yard at home.  I was like: "Dude, give me some!"  I love game shirts.
People give you the funniest looks when you wear them.)

3)  The quiet guy.  You really can't tell how old he is -- probably in his 20's, maybe well into his 30's.  Who can tell?  He's often a big guy -- maybe tall, but definitely solid and/or chunky --and has facial hair.  He's the guy who's behind the counter, stocking games or breaking down boxes.  If you buy a console, he's the one that goes in the back room and brings it out.  He'll talk, but only when prompted by his co-workers when they're trying to make a point.  He either lives and breathes MMORPG's or is an incredibly talented FPS player. 

4a) The ever-elusive, much-coveted "gamer chick."  Yes, she's a grrrl.  Sort of the female counterpart of #1 on my list, but definitely not virginal and marginally less irritating because she's halfway decent to look at. Well maybe, if you can get past the piercings.  And the attitude, which stems from being constantly drooled over and hit on by her co-workers.   She'll talk your ear off about why such-and-such sequel is going to rock or suck, but you don't really care.  You're just staring and wondering if the hole in her septum would heal if you took that obnoxious barbell out.  Or, if she has a speech impediment or is just lisping because of the tongue ring.  In addition to games, she likes manga, blogging, and attention -- lots of it.  And don't even think about it.  You've got no chance with her.  And trust me, that's a good thing.
4b) Same as above, but not so good to look at.   Still fawned over by her co-workers in all cases, but to a lesser degree only if there is a hot gamer chick working there also.

5)  The true-believer manager.  Most managers tend to fall into one of the other categories.  But this guy is intent on climbing that corporate ladder.  He's Type-A personality, a very hard worker, and a multi-tasker.  I never thought that anybody could work the floor, check somebody else out, micromanage his employees, and explain to me why he thinks Sony is doomed -- all at the same time!  He doesn't bother me too much and is actually pretty entertaining.  Especially if you wait till he finishes his spiel, and say: "I'm sorry.  What did you say?  I wasn't listening."  In all likelihood, if somebody who works there is doing or has done #4a/4b, this guy's the one -- as he has good self-confidence, makes OK money, and is "getting somewhere" in the world. 

That's it.  Again, all in good fun.  And yes, I'm a total dork for actually taking the time to write this down.  And no, I've never worked at a game store. 

Let me know what you think and add to the list if you've got something!

Message Edited by dreadnaught_ on 05-02-2007 12:00 AM
Message 4 of 12 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3045 posts

Re: a Gamestop employee field identification guide

May 2, 2007
HAHAHAHA i was telling my mom exactly the same thing the other day, the two near me and the one in reno r exactl ythe same
and its the same for ebgames too
Message 1 of 12 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19166 posts

May 2, 2007
Even though it's late and I'm tired...that was still a good read.

I think I've encountered everyone of those personality types over the years that I have been going to GameStop.  I'm really tempted to make copies of that list and next time I'm at GameStop I'd like to circle the part that describes them and hand it to the employee that it applies to.
Message 2 of 12 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7225 posts

May 2, 2007
LMAO!!! I was thinking about the same thing every time I go to gamestop.
MimiPRGameFreak Trophy Card
Message 3 of 12 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12488 posts

May 2, 2007
I went to GS before and I never really seen those types of people there before. Weird...
Watch out! House is about ready to hit you with his cane...
Message 5 of 12 (2 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1075 posts

May 2, 2007

Kizzerdrix wrote:
I went to GS before and I never really seen those types of people there before. Weird...

If that's the case, I -- and probably a few other people -- have reason to envy you.  Where do you live?  So we can all move there.  Smiley Wink  Thanks for reading.

Message Edited by dreadnaught_ on 05-02-2007 12:22 AM
Message 6 of 12 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7225 posts

May 2, 2007

Kizzerdrix wrote:

So which type did you see? Emo employees?
Message 7 of 12 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9199 posts

May 2, 2007
this is why when i walk into these stores i usually am listening to my ipod to drown out the constant annoying noise that spills out of the people that work there, i only remove ONE earbud to find out how much the total is and ignore the whole pre-order spiel.  oh and BTW, i always answer MUSIC when asked what i'm listening to.
Message 8 of 12 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7225 posts

May 2, 2007

dreadnaught_ wrote:

MimiPRGameFreak wrote:

I totally forgot to write about the emo kids.  It's not as bad at Gamestop as it is some places -- like Borders or some local record shop. 

Crap it's late.  I better go to bed. 

I totally agree about that.
Message 9 of 12 (2 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1075 posts

May 2, 2007

MimiPRGameFreak wrote:

I totally forgot to write about the emo kids.  I've got loads of funny stories about them.  It's not as bad at Gamestop as it is some places -- like Borders or some local record shop. 

Crap it's late.  I better go to bed. 

Message Edited by dreadnaught_ on 05-02-2007 12:35 AM
Message 10 of 12 (2 Views)
0 Likes