Last Guardian
12385 posts

Re: Zune? Is it worth it?

Jan 19, 2007
The following message is a fanboy message.

This message is approved by animefreak111

animefreak111 wrote:
zune sucks the instillation process is horrible and the software sucks dont use it get an ipod and you atleast knoqw an ipod will work

Message 11 of 16 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6249 posts

Jan 19, 2007
I was going to get a Zune, but I went for the iPod cause I preferred it's design over Zune (Zune's is fat and isn't shiny like iPod). I got an iPod Christmas and have like 3 movies, some music videos, and like 70 songs on it right now (2 gigs used so far meaning the purchase was a wise one). Get Zune if you want to be unique get iPod if you want to be "cool", I just bought cause I'm now a music fanatic that and I got tired of loading CD's into my player.
Message 12 of 16 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12385 posts

Jan 19, 2007
The following message is very truthul, and doesn't show signs of fanboyism.

Good job bro, I'm glad your opinion isn't biased, or trashing a device, and you also gave advice.

sony-next-gen wrote:
I was going to get a Zune, but I went for the iPod cause I preferred it's design over Zune (Zune's is fat and isn't shiny like iPod). I got an iPod Christmas and have like 3 movies, some music videos, and like 70 songs on it right now (2 gigs used so far meaning the purchase was a wise one). Get Zune if you want to be unique get iPod if you want to be "cool", I just bought cause I'm now a music fanatic that and I got tired of loading CD's into my player.

Message 13 of 16 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12303 posts

Jan 19, 2007
I would go with an iPod only because it's so simple to work with and since your bro has an iPod you guys can use that same iTunes. idk, thats my opinion on it.
» Follow me @OfficialOc «
Message 14 of 16 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3059 posts

Jan 19, 2007
The Zune isn't worth it. Why? Heres a list of reasons:

1) It locks you into Windows. You can't use it on a Mac or Linux, like you can an iPod. You are stuck to Windows using the Zune software. The iPod can be Rockbox'ed so you can be software free entirely, or you can use any number of programs aside from iTunes to manage your music. Including software like Yahoo Music Engine or whatever they like to call themselves now, Real, Winamp, etc. The Zune software is also known to be buggy and very unstable. There are a number of reviewers out there who spent more time just trying to get the software installed than anything else. Some reviewers in particular had such awful problems with the software that it was a day or more after receiving the unit before they finally heard music come out of the headphone jack. All kinds of problems, from having to create .dll files to install the software to having the software lockup during file transfers and need to be uninstalled again and start over all over again.

2) Zune Marketplace is far behind iTunes. No videos, no movies, no TV shows.. nothing. The song selection is well behind iTunes and even far behind other competing WMA-based stores. The Zune Marketplace also requires the use of the ridiculous Microsoft "point" system. You can't just buy a song at a time like iTunes. No, you have to buy a block of $5 worth of points. So even if its only ONE song you ever want, you have to spend $5. Or let's say you want 6 songs.. then you have to buy $10 worth of points. Or what if you want an album that costs 1300 points? You guessed it, you have to go and buy $15 worth of "points". Microsoft is also heavy on the "subscription" service where you rent your music, not own. Once you stop paying the rental fee your music stops playing. Furthermore, music purchased from the Zune Marketplace is in WMA format, which locks you into Windows and doesn't sound as good as the AAC files you get from iTunes (which are cross-platform).

3) The screen on the Zune is "widescreen". However, despite having a 16:9 screen, the actual aspect ratio of the pixels that make up the screen is 4:3. So you have a widescreen with a 320x240 resolution. What does that mean? Well, that means videos get stretched and distorted to fill up the screen. Overall it doesn't look as good as the iPod screen, which has a proper resolution to fit the aspect ratio.

4) The sound quality isn't as good as the iPod either. The Zune is basically a repackeged Toshiba Gigabeat S with a giant button instead of touch sensitive controls. The Toshiba Gigabeat series has been proven time and time again to not sound as good as the iPod. The iPod has the currently strongest available headphone amplification stage and it uses the same DACs and processors as high end CD players and DVD-Audio capable DVD players.

5) The Zune has a giant button that you have to click click click to get to where you want, or hold it down and wait. No control at all over how you can get through your music.

6) The battery life isn't as good as the iPod either. The 30GB iPod has been known to get 16 hours, sometimes even more, of real world battery life while playing music. With recent software updates and the screen brightness set to 50%, some users have reported getting as much as 9 hours of video playback. Those figures are well beyond what the Zune is capable of, which is actually capable of LESS than its rated specifications in real world situations.

7) Video playback, overall, isn't as good as the iPod. The Zune locks you into WMV formats which have, again, proven time after time to not be as good as H.264. This is something you can test yourself by encoding video in WMV with free tools available from Microsoft and free software available from a number of places to encode in H.264.

8) Nobody is buying the Zune. The marketshare is quite possibly the lowest marketshare of any of the major manufacturers that are competing against the iPod. It's not even in a place to contend for the number two spot yet, as its being beaten horribly by Creative and Sandisk. Microsoft has gone so far as to start to downplay the Zune's importantance. Bill Gates himself has downplayed the unit since the year began. And Steve "I'm Going To Throw A Chair At You and Eat Your Children" Balmer has gone so far as to lie about the marketshare numbers to try to make it look better. Why is this important? Because if the Zune flops, that means Microsoft shareholders are going to be pretty pissed. They've already put a lot of pressure on Microsoft in the passed because of the failing (always in the red) Xbox division, and we've seen Microsoft bow to the pressure and finally make that division profitable. Considering the poor performance of the Zune and the sales falling by the day, we'll probably see shareholders put pressure on MS to back out of the market and cede to Apple and get on the iPod accessory bandwagon like Creative did.

9) It's Microsoft. This is the company that is going so far as to try and tell you what you can or cannot do with your PC via DRM in Windows Vista.

10) Finally, theres no reason to try to be "unique" or "different" when it means getting an inferior product that might not even be supported in 6 months, seeing as how poorly its performing. It's not about being different or trying something new... for as much as the Zune, iPod, etc. cost, you need to buy something that you can be sure will be supported throughout its life and will be supported should something go wrong with it. The Zune is failing in the market and Microsoft has a terrible customer service track record. Buying a Zune is like gambling away $250 with no chance of winning. You might get your moneys worth or in 6 months you'll be out in the cold with a player that has no kind of support.
Friends don't let friends buy Bose

http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html
Message 15 of 16 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5830 posts

Jan 19, 2007
No

If you need support for Star Wars Battlefront II, Pm me.

~ The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had ~

Message 16 of 16 (2 Views)
0 Likes