MVP Support
9990 posts

Re: Zombie Outbreak: Stay put or get moving?

Jan 4, 2013
It`s tough to know what to do in such a situation, but I do have 3 swords, so at least I would have weapons for defense against zombies. You would really need to come up with a logical plan. You need food and water, plus a place that is secure to hold off the zombies. Having weapons is good incase you need to defend yourself.

The only thing about staying put is, how can you maintain your food and water, during a zombie outbreak, there won`t be any new supplies coming in, so you would run out at some point, besides venturing out to get food. unless you live on a farm, which you can defend, so you can grow your own food, it would be difficult staying in one place.

Also why would they be deaf, zombies happen due to a virus killing a person, then reanimating the body using the brain, and using the basic survival instincts of hunger. If a person could hear before the death, then the animated corpse should as well.
Message 11 of 17 (143 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11297 posts

Jan 4, 2013

I would rather get moving, but my family wouldn't let me so i would run away if things started to get bad.

Message 12 of 17 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2011 posts

Jan 4, 2013

I'd stay and get the whoever's alive in my neighborhood to cooperate and form a pact. I live near a neighborhood store, a Kroger's, and a Wal-Mart, so supplies should come easy (I guess).

I'm mortally afraid of zombies though Smiley Sad. Hopefully we there will be slow zombies. **bleep** the fast ones lol.

Message 13 of 17 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3987 posts

Jan 4, 2013

It depends on how fast the zombies are an if they can shake off bullets.

I don't know whether to flee or fight, but at some point I would have to stand my ground and go to Walmart for supplies lol

Seriously, if Zombies are like mutated humans with a virus, then they can outsmart us by taking our water and food supplies and hunt us down with our own guns.  O_o

Dude, the Zombie Apocalyse would mean lights out for humans

photo 220dee8b-5bcd-4c72-9468-b21cfc72f31f_zpsfd870647.jpg
Message 14 of 17 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Jan 4, 2013

During an initial outbreak, panic would set in on the populous, and no where would be safe to stay.  You have to make a run for somewhere remote, if you can.

Under duress, people become savage in nature.  The initial reaction is; every one for themselves.  Morality goes out the window when faced with one's own demise.  Whether it be a Walker, or your neighbor who you used to barbecue with, no one should be trusted.

Arm yourself, and get out.  Head for the hills, and find an "out of the way" place.  Zombies would be a threat to you, but the living would be far more dangerous.  Avoid the cities, and the suburbs for that matter.  Go to the woods, and wait till the living get weeded out. 

After the majority of the living have been eliminated, then it may be safer to find a place to stay and defend.  Again, even at this point, the living would be your biggest concern.  If the World has ended, for all intents and purposes, then regular people will no longer adhere to the rules and values of civilization.

AVOID the Armed Forces!  They are not your friend, and do not have your best interests in mind.  Again, if the World is becoming unhinged, anyone with any amount of power or control will only seek to increase their influence, and put down any opposition.  Additionally, they will confiscate your weapons, as a means of control, and prevention of revolt.  The Government will NOT help your in a situation like this!

You have to plan for these things though.  Anyone winging it, will surely meet a quick demise.  Not to say those who are "prepared" will have complete success, but it is always better to be ready, than to be caught completely off guard.

Think of what you will need, to be on the move for a while.  Keep in mind, you may be able to re supply some things on your way.  Do not go out of your way to obtain supplies though.  If the opportunity to obtain something comes with an elevated risk, then it is not worth it.

Clubs, knives and swords, (if you are one of those crazy people who just has to own a samurai sword or something), are optimum, but a firearm will protect you from the Living, as well as the Dead.

Have plenty of back packs and bags.  Keep more than a few portable water bottles.  Canned goods are great, but may be heavy.  Crackers and dry stock can sustain you just as well as corned beef hash or beans.

Don't forget to have water purification devices.  Pills, boilers, or sieves are great for creating potable water.  You wouldn't want to survive a zombie outbreak, riots, looting, murdering and military actions, just to die of dysentery or some water born virus/bacteria.

Remember, you can only carry so much.  Do not burden yourself with heavy items, or too much of any one thing.  Having 2000 rounds of .223 is great, but if you have no manageable way to carry the weight, then perhaps only 500 rounds should be taken.

Forget the car or truck, unless you are already in a rural area, where the roads will not be crowded.  End of the World grid lock will be your doom.  Start walking/running and stay off the main routes.  Get some maps, GPS will probable not run forever, and services may be cut over time or outright by the Government.

Have some good footwear, those Gazelles will not hold up over rough terrain or in the winter.  Think about having a couple pairs of boots with insulation.  Who cares if they are hot in the summer months, you will be grateful in the snow.  For that matter, it may help to move south, rather than North.  Winter is unpredictable, and can take even the most seasoned outdoorsman.  SOCKS!  Have multiple pairs of socks.  "jungle rot" on your feet will slow you down, and can even incapacitate you.

Take only a couple changes of clothing, but make sure it is rugged.  Try to plan out for the changing seasons.  If it is summer, don't run out the door with shorts only.  Winter is harder to survive with the wrong clothing, than summer.  Having some surplus BDUs cannot hurt.  These are made for endurance and concealment, if needed.

Remember to clean yourself on a regular basis.  Bacteria can build on the body that will make you sick. 

The key to survival will always come down to an element of LUCK.  If you have arsenal, food stocks, clothing, and other survival tools, they are no good if you are on vacation in California at the time of the outbreak, and you live in Virginia.

Stay on the move, and watch your six.  Avoid the Government and Military.  Do not trust Militias or large groups.  No one is your friend!

It cannot hurt to invest in some survival guides, multiple.  Books people, not E-Books, the internet and electronic devices will not last forever.

Have water proof, if you can find them, or at least, strike anywhere matches.  Fire will be your friend in some situations.  Do not rely on propane tanks or other fuels.  Try to stick to the basics of paper and wood.  BT Dubbs, particle board, pressure treated and other manufactured woods burn off toxic fumes.  Do not use them.

A flint and magnesium block works great if you have a little bit of tinder as well.  The native Americans could make a fire with two sticks, but you are not them (unless you are, and you can, then KUDOS).  It takes; time, pressure, and a lot of muscle work.  Steel Wool and a Nine volt works great as well.  Again, any of this can be found in a survival guide.  I can make fire with a Heresy's bar wrapper, the bottom of a Coke can, and the sun.  Just thought I would share.  A disc of Ice can even serve as a magnifying glass to capture the sun for fire.  Again, I refer back to the survival guides.

Be aware of the location of Nuclear Reactors, Dams, and other facilities that will become unstable after neglect.  Know the jet streams in relation to these things as well.  You can survive the outbreak, raiders, murderers, military and be hold up somewhere nice in ten years, and then the reactor three miles from you melts down, or the Dam upstream bursts.  That would be ironic.Smiley Wink

Bottom line here; if you get away from the Walkers, and have a sufficient method of dispatching a few here or there, you must always remember the living will do you more harm, if given the opportunity.

Supplies, planning, foresight, self reliance, caution, and LUCK is what you will need.

Things to think about.  I certainly do.  Although I do believe a Zombie Outbreak will never be plausible.  Regardless, these methods would be helpful in any civilization collapse situation.  Beware the living, they want to live, and they will always want what you have.  The dead are already dead, and just want a meal.

Moble Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 17 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
55190 posts

Jan 4, 2013

Trawnza wrote:

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

SlashZaku wrote:

Wondering how other people would go about a zombie outbreak/apocalypse happening in their area (or the entire world).  In movies/books/games on the material, it's usually people making a journey somewhere else instead of holing up someplace with 4 walls, some supplies and some means to defend themselves (Dawn of the Dead remake had them bunkering down in a mall which seemed to work fine).

My question is, if you're thrown into this scenario, do you hole up (segment of a house, basement, attic, department/grocery store, etc.), making occasional ventures out for needed supplies and returning to your shelter or do you load up what you can (probably not a vehicle so you don't attract attention) and risk the 'wild west' of zombies and other survivors who may off you for what supplies you have?  Do you keep to yourself & maybe family members or do you tempt fate and collect other survivors with a 'strength in numbers' mentality?

Me?  I'd probably stay put.  Get what I can from the surrounding area to bunker off either a certain portion of my house or another easily defendable, out of the way area (I live in an area mostly surrounded by woods and it's somewhat a small town anyways).  Block off windows and board up all the doors with one access point in or out.  Maybe somewhere with some solid walls to keep most sounds within the room (coughing, sneezing, etc. don't become a problem).  Weapon-wise, I'd probably keep to a melee weapon such as a nice spear or an axe (don't own a firearm and once things hit the fan, I figure they'd be hard to come by unless I pick it up off a corpse/abandoned house) cause that helps avoid noise as well.  A firearm would probably be kept for emergencies, such as some wanderer getting near my place/coming in and me not wanting to take the chance.  I'd like to avoid using a vehicle but given where my location is, if I didn't locate my shelter closer to town or the stores, it'd be a long walk or I'd have to use a vehicle.  I'd check nearby family to see if they're still there but I think that may lead to an argument itself about whether to stay put or go look for an area with help (government aid and the like).  I'd be perfectly fine on my own if I could hit someplace up for some reading material to keep myself busy during the days.  Would have to also raid for some winter clothing/heavy blankets if I'm trying to avoid attention and wanting to forego making a fire during the cold weather.

I guess there are some variables to consider though as well: is the government going to nuke the area?  Are these fast zombies or slow, limping ones (I think this would be the biggie for some on whether or not they decide to venture out or stay put.  You want to outrun fast zombies?  Be my guest).  Is there still power or no (could always use a generator)?  Is there word that help is coming at all (stay and wait for them or join up with them before it's too late)?

Say I wake up and the zombie apocolypse is on right now.

I would first call my buddy PLYMCO_FIREFLY and tell him I was bringing the truck over and to have all his guns and ammo ready to go.  Then I would get moving until I found a place that can both be liveable in a sustainable way (source of food and water) and defensable from zombies then once I did i'd stay put!

If we ran into some zombies in the process I would do this

Wouldn't guns attract more zombies with the noise??

If they are walking dead zombies they would!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 16 of 17 (112 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Jan 7, 2013

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

SlashZaku wrote:

Wondering how other people would go about a zombie outbreak/apocalypse happening in their area (or the entire world).  In movies/books/games on the material, it's usually people making a journey somewhere else instead of holing up someplace with 4 walls, some supplies and some means to defend themselves (Dawn of the Dead remake had them bunkering down in a mall which seemed to work fine).

My question is, if you're thrown into this scenario, do you hole up (segment of a house, basement, attic, department/grocery store, etc.), making occasional ventures out for needed supplies and returning to your shelter or do you load up what you can (probably not a vehicle so you don't attract attention) and risk the 'wild west' of zombies and other survivors who may off you for what supplies you have?  Do you keep to yourself & maybe family members or do you tempt fate and collect other survivors with a 'strength in numbers' mentality?

Me?  I'd probably stay put.  Get what I can from the surrounding area to bunker off either a certain portion of my house or another easily defendable, out of the way area (I live in an area mostly surrounded by woods and it's somewhat a small town anyways).  Block off windows and board up all the doors with one access point in or out.  Maybe somewhere with some solid walls to keep most sounds within the room (coughing, sneezing, etc. don't become a problem).  Weapon-wise, I'd probably keep to a melee weapon such as a nice spear or an axe (don't own a firearm and once things hit the fan, I figure they'd be hard to come by unless I pick it up off a corpse/abandoned house) cause that helps avoid noise as well.  A firearm would probably be kept for emergencies, such as some wanderer getting near my place/coming in and me not wanting to take the chance.  I'd like to avoid using a vehicle but given where my location is, if I didn't locate my shelter closer to town or the stores, it'd be a long walk or I'd have to use a vehicle.  I'd check nearby family to see if they're still there but I think that may lead to an argument itself about whether to stay put or go look for an area with help (government aid and the like).  I'd be perfectly fine on my own if I could hit someplace up for some reading material to keep myself busy during the days.  Would have to also raid for some winter clothing/heavy blankets if I'm trying to avoid attention and wanting to forego making a fire during the cold weather.

I guess there are some variables to consider though as well: is the government going to nuke the area?  Are these fast zombies or slow, limping ones (I think this would be the biggie for some on whether or not they decide to venture out or stay put.  You want to outrun fast zombies?  Be my guest).  Is there still power or no (could always use a generator)?  Is there word that help is coming at all (stay and wait for them or join up with them before it's too late)?

Say I wake up and the zombie apocolypse is on right now.

I would first call my buddy PLYMCO_FIREFLY and tell him I was bringing the truck over and to have all his guns and ammo ready to go.  Then I would get moving until I found a place that can both be liveable in a sustainable way (source of food and water) and defensable from zombies then once I did i'd stay put!

If we ran into some zombies in the process I would do this

Not that I have the most ideal Hand Gun Stance, but Plymco, I certainly hope that is not you on the left... Smiley LOL

BT Dubbs, I know the slide stayed back, but that was some pretty shaky gun safety at the end. Smiley WinkSmiley Surprised

Moble

Message 17 of 17 (75 Views)
0 Likes