Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 03 2013
By: SlashZaku PlayStation MVP 41020 posts

Zombie Outbreak: Stay put or get moving?

[ Edited ]
16 replies 161 views Edited Jan 3, 2013

Wondering how other people would go about a zombie outbreak/apocalypse happening in their area (or the entire world).  In movies/books/games on the material, it's usually people making a journey somewhere else instead of holing up someplace with 4 walls, some supplies and some means to defend themselves (Dawn of the Dead remake had them bunkering down in a mall which seemed to work fine).

My question is, if you're thrown into this scenario, do you hole up (segment of a house, basement, attic, department/grocery store, etc.), making occasional ventures out for needed supplies and returning to your shelter or do you load up what you can (probably not a vehicle so you don't attract attention) and risk the 'wild west' of zombies and other survivors who may off you for what supplies you have?  Do you keep to yourself & maybe family members or do you tempt fate and collect other survivors with a 'strength in numbers' mentality?

Me?  I'd probably stay put.  Get what I can from the surrounding area to bunker off either a certain portion of my house or another easily defendable, out of the way area (I live in an area mostly surrounded by woods and it's somewhat a small town anyways).  Block off windows and board up all the doors with one access point in or out.  Maybe somewhere with some solid walls to keep most sounds within the room (coughing, sneezing, etc. don't become a problem).  Weapon-wise, I'd probably keep to a melee weapon such as a nice spear or an axe (don't own a firearm and once things hit the fan, I figure they'd be hard to come by unless I pick it up off a corpse/abandoned house) cause that helps avoid noise as well.  A firearm would probably be kept for emergencies, such as some wanderer getting near my place/coming in and me not wanting to take the chance.  I'd like to avoid using a vehicle but given where my location is, if I didn't locate my shelter closer to town or the stores, it'd be a long walk or I'd have to use a vehicle.  I'd check nearby family to see if they're still there but I think that may lead to an argument itself about whether to stay put or go look for an area with help (government aid and the like).  I'd be perfectly fine on my own if I could hit someplace up for some reading material to keep myself busy during the days.  Would have to also raid for some winter clothing/heavy blankets if I'm trying to avoid attention and wanting to forego making a fire during the cold weather.

I guess there are some variables to consider though as well: is the government going to nuke the area?  Are these fast zombies or slow, limping ones (I think this would be the biggie for some on whether or not they decide to venture out or stay put.  You want to outrun fast zombies?  Be my guest).  Is there still power or no (could always use a generator)?  Is there word that help is coming at all (stay and wait for them or join up with them before it's too late)?

Now Playing: Final Fantasy X HD

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 17 (161 Views)
Survivor
2602 posts

Re: Zombie Outbreak: Stay put or get moving?

Jan 3, 2013

dCd4a.jpg

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 17 (155 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
47557 posts

Jan 3, 2013

SlashZaku wrote:

Wondering how other people would go about a zombie outbreak/apocalypse happening in their area (or the entire world).  In movies/books/games on the material, it's usually people making a journey somewhere else instead of holing up someplace with 4 walls, some supplies and some means to defend themselves (Dawn of the Dead remake had them bunkering down in a mall which seemed to work fine).

My question is, if you're thrown into this scenario, do you hole up (segment of a house, basement, attic, department/grocery store, etc.), making occasional ventures out for needed supplies and returning to your shelter or do you load up what you can (probably not a vehicle so you don't attract attention) and risk the 'wild west' of zombies and other survivors who may off you for what supplies you have?  Do you keep to yourself & maybe family members or do you tempt fate and collect other survivors with a 'strength in numbers' mentality?

Me?  I'd probably stay put.  Get what I can from the surrounding area to bunker off either a certain portion of my house or another easily defendable, out of the way area (I live in an area mostly surrounded by woods and it's somewhat a small town anyways).  Block off windows and board up all the doors with one access point in or out.  Maybe somewhere with some solid walls to keep most sounds within the room (coughing, sneezing, etc. don't become a problem).  Weapon-wise, I'd probably keep to a melee weapon such as a nice spear or an axe (don't own a firearm and once things hit the fan, I figure they'd be hard to come by unless I pick it up off a corpse/abandoned house) cause that helps avoid noise as well.  A firearm would probably be kept for emergencies, such as some wanderer getting near my place/coming in and me not wanting to take the chance.  I'd like to avoid using a vehicle but given where my location is, if I didn't locate my shelter closer to town or the stores, it'd be a long walk or I'd have to use a vehicle.  I'd check nearby family to see if they're still there but I think that may lead to an argument itself about whether to stay put or go look for an area with help (government aid and the like).  I'd be perfectly fine on my own if I could hit someplace up for some reading material to keep myself busy during the days.  Would have to also raid for some winter clothing/heavy blankets if I'm trying to avoid attention and wanting to forego making a fire during the cold weather.

I guess there are some variables to consider though as well: is the government going to nuke the area?  Are these fast zombies or slow, limping ones (I think this would be the biggie for some on whether or not they decide to venture out or stay put.  You want to outrun fast zombies?  Be my guest).  Is there still power or no (could always use a generator)?  Is there word that help is coming at all (stay and wait for them or join up with them before it's too late)?

Say I wake up and the zombie apocolypse is on right now.

I would first call my buddy PLYMCO_FIREFLY and tell him I was bringing the truck over and to have all his guns and ammo ready to go.  Then I would get moving until I found a place that can both be liveable in a sustainable way (source of food and water) and defensable from zombies then once I did i'd stay put!

If we ran into some zombies in the process I would do this

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 17 (150 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
794 posts

Jan 3, 2013

My friend lives on a farm, so I'd probably go over there with my fam, stay put and gather supplies. Hold up there and make a plan B if things go sidways. Bigger question would be how we manage to interact socially through such an event, some people would easily throw away their morals just for their own survival. Who knows...

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 17 (144 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41020 posts

Jan 3, 2013

Nes_Daze wrote:

My friend lives on a farm, so I'd probably go over there with my fam, stay put and gather supplies. Hold up there and make a plan B if things go sidways. Bigger question would be how we manage to interact socially through such an event, some people would easily throw away their morals just for their own survival. Who knows...

That's why I'd personally just rather tough it out myself.  Don't want to run the risk of others going 'crazy' or using me as a distraction so they can make a getaway.  I think I could trust most of my family but at the same time, I'd rather not have every freaking decision be up to a vote (and with the older members, they'll say because they're the elders, they dictate the rules).  If something or someone is coming our way and I say it's best to just lay low but they want to take a pot shot, then they're too much of a risk to me and the others in the group.  It's kind of less about survival and more about someone being a problem just for the sake of being a problem IMO.  I'm just not up for that.

And that's just talking about family.  Some random strangers looking for help is too big of a gamble.  If I've survived for 2-3 months by myself fine enough (plenty of supplies, haven't been attacked by other survivors and zombies that get close either get done in when I deem it necessary or wander off shortly after finding nothing), I probably would be too rooted in my ways to want to invite someone else in at that point (got to ration out supplies for 2-3 people now meaning more frequent trips out, got to explain and now 'enforce' rules with new people just to keep the 'norm' for me and to keep the shelter safe).  I'd just honestly rather pull a Tom Hanks and draw a face on ball/plate/chair/etc. and have that be my social interaction :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 17 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
794 posts

Jan 3, 2013

SlashZaku wrote:

That's why I'd personally just rather tough it out myself.  Don't want to run the risk of others going 'crazy' or using me as a distraction so they can make a getaway.  I think I could trust most of my family but at the same time, I'd rather not have every freaking decision be up to a vote (and with the older members, they'll say because they're the elders, they dictate the rules).  If something or someone is coming our way and I say it's best to just lay low but they want to take a pot shot, then they're too much of a risk to me and the others in the group.  It's kind of less about survival and more about someone being a problem just for the sake of being a problem IMO.  I'm just not up for that.

And that's just talking about family.  Some random strangers looking for help is too big of a gamble.  If I've survived for 2-3 months by myself fine enough (plenty of supplies, haven't been attacked by other survivors and zombies that get close either get done in when I deem it necessary or wander off shortly after finding nothing), I probably would be too rooted in my ways to want to invite someone else in at that point (got to ration out supplies for 2-3 people now meaning more frequent trips out, got to explain and now 'enforce' rules with new people just to keep the 'norm' for me and to keep the shelter safe).  I'd just honestly rather pull a Tom Hanks and draw a face on ball/plate/chair/etc. and have that be my social interaction :smileyvery-happy:

True, but I'd have to be prepared to deal with members of the group that go crazy, or people that put the group at risk. Going about it alone sounds good but there's just some people you couldn't leave behind. And yes, the ball sounds good, but why not take it a bit further, put mannequins around like Will Smith did in I Am Legend, that's if the zombies are nocturnal of course. :/

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 17 (137 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41020 posts

Jan 4, 2013
I wouldn't mind bunkering down with my cousins. I know at the very least, we'd be able to get along and wouldn't be at each other's throats. All the same, I know if certain aunts/uncles got put under the same roof for all that time, I'd be more concerned about them than the zombies.

I think it'd be weird if you went out for supplies and decided to pick up a display model or two just to bring back to the shelter to talk to :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 17 (124 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator
6725 posts

Jan 4, 2013

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

SlashZaku wrote:

Say I wake up and the zombie apocolypse is on right now.

I would first call my buddy PLYMCO_FIREFLY and tell him I was bringing the truck over and to have all his guns and ammo ready to go.  Then I would get moving until I found a place that can both be liveable in a sustainable way (source of food and water) and defensable from zombies then once I did i'd stay put!

If we ran into some zombies in the process I would do this

Wouldn't guns attract more zombies with the noise??

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 17 (122 Views)
Treasure Hunter
7240 posts

Jan 4, 2013
Shouldnt zombies be deaf?
And he can add some silencers as an attachment :smileytongue:
energy
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 17 (118 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41020 posts

Jan 4, 2013

bm2919 wrote:
Shouldnt zombies be deaf?
And he can add some silencers as an attachment :smileytongue:

Pretty sure most movies and such point to them being able to hear.  Could always learn to use a crossbow/bow & arrow though :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 17 (115 Views)